Immigrant Nation

Immigrant Nation

Introduction On November 22nd of 2023, I had the honor and privilege to have the opportunity to interview my father, Sharew Kelkile, and bring light to the experiences he faced during his immigration process. He used to tell my older sister and I stories from his...

Read More

The Wandering Jew

The Wandering Jew

Introduction  Although only accounting for around 3.6 percent of the total population in the world, immigrants are the catalyst of progress as they not only embody the spirit of resilience and ambition but are integral part of the development of societies. They...

Read More

From Canada to America

From Canada to America

Introduction The U.S. has always been known as the great melting pot. The fact that people of different cultures and countries both near and far can come to the US and integrate themselves is a testament to the amount of acceptance and diversity in the US. For the...

Read More

Immigration for Education

Immigration for Education

Introduction When I was choosing my classes for this semester I was just looking for a sociology elective, and I came across the sociology of immigration. Immigration has always been something that I have been curious about and have wanted to learn more about. I...

Read More

From India to America

From India to America

INTRODUCTION For this project, I interviewed my uncle’s wife, and my aunt, Pooja Krumenacker. Prior to this interview, I admit I knew very little about my aunt’s life before marrying my uncle other than that she was a JMU alumnus and was raised in an Indian family,...

Read More

Proudly Turkish

Proudly Turkish

Setting up for the Interview  When I first went to Burçin's home she greeted me before I got to the unit to help me find which door was hers. We sat at her kitchen table and she offered me Turkish delights as well as tea. She was warm and welcoming to me and the...

Read More

From Across the Atlantic

From Across the Atlantic

Introduction Throughout this class, I was about to learn a lot about the complex systems of immigration into today's society. This project especially allowed me to gain further insight into some of the many realities that immigrants face in their quest to become an...

Read More

St. Lucia’s Melody

St. Lucia’s Melody

Introduction “She grew and with that, came curves and contours, with that a feather broke through, the soft flesh of her back. With time the feathers… became a wing, never did she think a wing would become two, She knew not how to fly, but neither was she grounded,...

Read More

From Turkey to the U.S

From Turkey to the U.S

Introduction For this project, I had the privilege of being able to interview Irem Sen, a senior at Virginia Tech University. I met Irem through a mutual friend and was able to conduct this interview over Zoom. She shares her story of what it was like to immigrate...

Read More

Belarus to the Burg

Belarus to the Burg

INTRODUCTION For my interview, I sat down with my coworker Angelina Kharovsky to talk about her experience as an immigrant to America. Angelina was born in Belarus in the late 90s and lived in the city of Gomel with her family until she was 7 years old. Belarus was...

Read More

The Incredible Flavio

The Incredible Flavio

My interview was conducted via zoom and has a family relation to a fellow colleague here at James Madison University. The interviewee introduced himself as Flavio Olivera and migrated to the United States from Portugal from a young age. With prior knowledge of his...

Read More

Planes, Cars, Highways, Home

Planes, Cars, Highways, Home

INTRODUCTION.             On December 4th, 2023, at approximately 9:00am I got to learn more about one of my friends and her immigration process to the United States. I had the pleasure of interviewing Val Moscote. Val immigrated from Columbia when she was around...

Read More

From Iran to America

From Iran to America

Introduction Ali Nazemi’s migration journey from Tehran, Iran, to the United States unfolds as a compelling story of resilience, hope, and the pursuit of a better life. His story serves as a testament to the broader immigrant experience, capturing the intricacies...

Read More

From Korea to Virginia

From Korea to Virginia

The United States is known as a nation of immigrants with millions of people migrating to the country every year. Many of these migrants share a similar story of coming for one opportunity or another, whether economic or otherwise. Very few have as unique a story...

Read More

From Philippines to the U.S.

From Philippines to the U.S.

Introduction  Upon taking this class, I really had no prior knowledge on immigration, but had an interest in learning more about it. From learning about the integration of immigrants, about concepts such as “Latinization” and “Daughter Communities,” and about...

Read More