Introduction

Through this interview project, my mind swirled with possibilities of who to interview, what I would ask, and what I would learn from this experience. Growing up in a fairly secluded small town, I have not been met with the opportunity to meet many individuals who have immigrated to the United States. In order to meet the requirements of this assignment, I had to expand my connections to meet with someone who could share their experiences with me. Luckily, I was introduced to Elis Devlin through my mother, as she is a parent of one of my mother’s students, and I was given the opportunity to sit down and talk with her. She shared many of her experiences with me and offered great insight into what it means to be an immigrant. 

Summary and Analysis 

Upon interviewing Mrs. Devlin, I was nervous and timid, yet excited to learn from her. I had never met with her prior to our interview, and I was worried that it would make her uncomfortable to share her life story with a stranger. I could also sense her nervousness, as she wanted to make sure before the meeting what questions would be asked and to make sure she would present herself well. However, right from the beginning of our conversation, we were able to calm both our nerves by being open with one another. 

Elis Angela Devlin is originally from Brazil and migrated to the US approximately seven years ago. While living in Brazil, she was surrounded by family members and friends, and Elis was able to build strong relationships with the people there. However, in the back of her mind, she maintained, “I always wanted to live outside of Brazil.” She visited America once with a friend before deciding to move here, and she vacationed around many different states for a month. After this experience, the thought of moving to the states only became stronger. In class, we have discussed the many push/pull factors contributing to immigrants relocating to the US and how these are prevalent. For many, the US is seen as a land of opportunity for jobs, family, safety, and more. Elis stated that she felt the US was a safer place for her to live, and when her husband was offered a promising job in the states, the timing was perfect as they planned on starting a family. When comparing the United States to Brazil in terms of safety, crime levels are much higher in many parts of Brazil, and a fear of safety is prevalent. For employment opportunities, her husband had already acquired a job, so they did not have to worry about finding one upon arriving. 

Throughout this class, we have focused on how many immigrants travel to so-called ‘hotspots’ as these are areas that contain a multitude of immigrants from similar nations. For some, these places can contain connections from family members, friends, or individuals in a community who have already settled. These connections are immensely useful for immigrants as they are able to communicate with one another about the areas they live in. If an area offers many job opportunities or has an effective policy that supports immigrants, those living in these areas will relay this information back to their home countries. However, some individuals may choose locations where there are already a plethora of immigrants because they do not have many connections themselves in the US. For Elis, this was the case as she and her husband traveled to Miami alone seven years ago. In our interview, she said that she was living in an apartment complex with many other immigrants who were primarily Russian. Through this apartment complex, she met people who shared the same issues as her; learning English, finding a job, getting a green card, etc. They bonded over this, and she was able to create lifelong friends. Even though she and her husband traveled alone, she was able to meet other people who shared her struggles and was able to rely on these people. 

Her time in Miami was short, as they stayed there for only a year. They were again pulled out of that area and into Virginia due to another job opportunity. Much like Miami, Virginia included no familial connections for Elis but has a diverse population with many immigrants. She recently had her kid before coming to Virginia, and after purchasing a home and acquiring her Green card, she felt this was a place where she wanted to settle. 

Challenges 

One of many Brazilian dishes (From Elis)

For most immigrants, moving to a different country can be incredibly difficult. Learning a new language, different customs, communicating with citizens, and becoming accepted are a few of these challenges. Elis stated that one of the most difficult things she struggled with was learning English, and she continues to work hard to maintain her ability to speak the language fluently. “I have a son, he’s a first grader and he’s correcting my accent sometimes,” she said in our interview, stating that the language is something she still struggles with to this day. Another difficult aspect for Elis regarding the language is effectively communicating with others and creating lasting relationships. “Having American friends is not as easy as it seems,” says Elis about her efforts in trying to connect with ‘natural’ born citizens. While Elis tries to maintain her culture and customs within her family and for herself, it becomes difficult when trying to make friends that are American, as many focus on different things such as sports, pop culture, and even food. Some people have questioned the food she makes, and Elis has tried to learn many popular American dishes to adapt to the culture.  

Another main challenge for Elis was entering the workforce as an immigrant. Back in Brazil, she worked in Marketing for a bank and felt that her vast experience there would be able to translate to America, but this was not the case for a while. Many of the jobs that suited her capabilities would not accept immigrants, as it would mean working with lots of data, and recruiters immediately sent her away upon discovering she was an immigrant. Initially, she was able to find a job as a secretary through a friend of hers, and when interviewing for this position, the interviewer saw her resume and stated that she was overqualified for this job. Seeing that she spoke multiple languages, the boss offered her a position as a trilingual consultant for the firm, which she still does today. Though it worked out for Elis, she was faced with many tribulations when first arriving in the US, and struggled to find employment that would accept her simply because of her immigration status. This problem is still quite prevalent for many immigrants today as many struggle with obtaining jobs that they are suited for simply because of their status.

Integration 

As discussed, a major issue for Elis was connecting with American people, cultures, and customs. These same issues can arise for many, as we have discussed the numerous ways immigrants can feel disconnected or that their status as an immigrant is prevalent in their relationship with America. Some immigrants will make the choice (whether consciously or subconsciously) to assimilate into American cultures, values, and norms. By assimilating, immigrants can feel closer to the society they live in, but this can also cause a larger disconnect from their own cultures. Many individuals believe it is necessary to assimilate into a different culture to fit in, as Elis has stated with things like food, sports, and even smaller things like hugging. “A hug [is] a big thing in Brazil, and it’s not the same in here,” Elis says when discussing the difference in mannerisms and customs between Brazil and the US. She also mentions how Brazilians are more open to talking about feelings and being emotionally vulnerable with one another and how she has had to adjust the way she communicates so as not to overshare. While mentioning feeling welcomed, or if she feels “American,” Elis stated that she will always be an immigrant, but that does not mean she cannot be a part of American society. Through these different customs and norms, Elis has had to adapt to the differences in the US compared to Brazil, and it can be a challenge. She stated in our interview that she wants to stay connected to her Brazilian culture, but it can be difficult to maintain this culture when adapting to a new one. 

However, integration is not all bad, according to Elis. One of her insights into adjusting to American culture is that she is given the chance to learn new things from multiple perspectives. She says she has many friends from different areas of the world, which was not an opportunity she was met with in Brazil. Being surrounded by other individuals who have also immigrated to the United States has been able to help Elis feel more comfortable, as she recognizes that others are also facing similar issues. Elis has had an easier time forming relationships with other immigrants over Americans, as these common issues are presented and they find comfort in one another. Even though she stated that making American friends is difficult, she still has some and they are very accepting of learning more about her culture, and Elis is open to learning new things about theirs. 

Conclusion 

Elis mentioned at the end of the interview that everyone, Americans and immigrants included, should be open to discovering new perspectives and expanding their horizons. I think it is important for everyone to be open and willing to learn something new and to learn where others come from before concluding anything about that person. Conversing with Elis about her life was very insightful, and a useful way to wrap up this course. I could see many of the topics discussed in class come to fruition when listening to everything she has gone through in the past seven years. Along with viewing many different people’s submissions, and through my own interactions with immigrants, it is clear that each immigration story is different, complex, and nuanced. Her experience as an immigrant is completely original and has altered her life tremendously.

Ronan: [00:00:00] Alrighty. All right. So, uh, would you mind introducing yourself, uh, just with your name and, uh, where you’re from?

Elis: So my name is Elis Angela Devlin. , As I’m living in the US Elis is easier, but my friends in Brazil were calling me Elis before, so yeah, I was born in Brazil and I’ve been living here for I think, almost seven years now.

Ronan: Awesome. , and when you originally came to the United States, uh, were there any visits prior? , were you, have you, had you visited the United States before moving here?

Elis: So I, I had a very nice month with another Brazilian friend before, and I knew, , I was visiting New York, , Los Angeles, Las [00:01:00] Vegas, uh, Denver in Colorado.

And, uh, I think a few more places and I was studying English and uh, a few weeks during this vacation. So I was exposed to the culture in very different states before. And then when I started, dating my husband, my actual, we were dating before, so, uh, we traveled to the US, before our marriage. I think that one or two times while we were both in living in Brazil.

Ronan: Awesome. , and when you came here, did you come with anyone, uh, when you immigrated?

Elis: So we, I met my husband in Brazil. Uh, he was working there and, we. Came to the US because he received a pro, a professional, uh, proposal. He had a very good offer for, an [00:02:00] American, uh, company. So we, we came to live in the US together, and then that, that’s why I applied for my immigration process, my green card, and everything.

Ronan: Gotcha. Nice. , and so were there any other factors that, uh, persuaded you guys to come to the United States? I know you mentioned that there was a job offer for your husband. , were there any factors in maybe Brazil that put kind of pushed you out of that country and into the United States or, was it more the appeal of a job here?

Elis: So I always wanted to live outside of Brazil and I don’t know how to explain this, but. As, as you know, I have my, this Bon Amigo, last name is Italian, so I am the fifth or the sixth uh, generation that, uh, went to Brazil and we applied for that citizenship first because I knew I would live in another [00:03:00] country.

So, uh, when I met my husband, we didn’t plan that. We just got married in Brazil at that time. We bought an apartment and we were, we had good jobs there. But then this offer came and we were thinking about, uh, starting a family. And the life in the US is more safe than it is in Brazil. And I think that the opportunities you have here are very different. From opportunities there. And that was another reason. But for sure the business offer was the main thing that made us to move to the US at that time.

Ronan: Right. , and upon arrival, did you, uh, have a specific location that you guys migrated to?

Elis: So we started in Florida and, It was good for me because we have a very big, uh, [00:04:00] Latina community there.

, and, but we were living in a building with a lot of Russians, so it was north, uh, Miami that time. And, he was traveling to Brazil a lot because the company, Required him to travel. So as I was in my immigration process, I couldn’t leave the US so I couldn’t travel with him so many times. And, uh, then I got pregnant and we had Zika virus.

Mm. So I was there in Florida. Yeah. We started there, I think that lasted a year. And then we moved to Virginia because again, of the. Job opportunities.

Ronan: Right. Awesome. , did you, do you have any, or did you have any, uh, prior family connections in the United States, or were you and your husband kind of the first out of your family to come here?[00:05:00]

Elis: Yeah, so I have no, uh, real family because when we migrate to have new families and have the families with friends and, uh, my son’s godparents, they are a family for us here, so we are counting on them and they, they live in Virginia as well, so that’s a good thing. But my primary family is in Brazil, and, uh, I think that.

After a lot of people migrate from Italy to Brazil, I think that just my generation started to live in another, another countries again.

Ronan: And was that different? So was that difficult coming to the United States without, uh, those family connections, or did you feel comfortable because you had your husband with you?

Elis: We’re always missing the people when you’re out of your country or like we are missing, having this daily routine connections. [00:06:00], we miss the easy parts of going for coffee or having lunch with a friend. So when you move, you need to start over again. You need to be open for the friendships and for another customs and culture things and, uh, the language.

And, I think that it was, everything was very new for, for me. So I, I went to a English class or so when I met my new friends, basically from the. My English classes and I, I still have a few friends in Florida because of that classes. But again, you need to be open because just like just two people, like my husband and I, that’s not enough to, yeah, be in a health life in another country or.

Yeah, we need to have more [00:07:00] connections. So for me, the first thing is like you need to be very open for new people and starting new friendships.

Ronan: Mm. Right, right. , and kind of expanding on on those challenges and everything, you know, you mentioned, uh, learning English was, was, , one of your main priorities, , upon entering, uh, were there any other issues kind of with immediately entering the United States that you, uh, felt,

Elis: , the language is. Very hard. Uh, now I have a son, he’s a first grader and he’s correcting my accent sometimes, or my reading. So I think that this is one thing, , expressing myself in another language. Another thing, it seems like easier to connect with people from another countries as well. So having American friends is not as easy as it seems like because they have their own families here.

They have. [00:08:00] The connections already. Sometimes, uh, those people just lived in one place and, so their community is ready. , I think that this is one thing, like missing people and, I was thinking a lot, uh, Before the interview. So the food is another thing, but now you can see that around Virginia, for example, have a lot of Latino supermarkets or Latino festivals or things like this.

Uh, now we, they, the world is watching soccer in the World Cup. . And we are not, because it’s, It’s not very normal in the US It’s normal to watch football but not soccer. Right. So I think that, uh, for me is like the comparison. It’s not the good way, but it’s the way you learn. So Christmas is better when the [00:09:00] wintertime here, but New Year it’s better in Brazil because it’s summer, it’s a big party.

So I think again, it’s all about the people, the food, and. Culture celebrations that we miss. Another thing is like my family cannot speak English, so I need to have bilingual kids. And uh, yeah, we’re trying with my son, but it’s hard because again, if you don’t have a Brazilian community speaking Portuguese, so it’s hard to, to keep the language and the culture alive.

, I’m very lucky that my American friends, they know Brazilian food, for example. And sometimes they’re even cooking for me. Uh, And I, I was open enough to learn how to cook Thanksgiving meals, for example. So, and I was like, wait, I am the Brazilian cooking, so if something gets wrong with the [00:10:00] recipes, please forgive me.

But I’m trying. And it’s, I think that’s about trying and being open again, it’s not, That’s easy to make the connections or be happy in other country all the time, but again, people can help here and there. So,

Ronan: , and you touched on, you know, meeting new people and everything like that, but, , kind of more like economically, was it, was it, uh, difficult for you to find a job?

I know, I know you said your husband had, uh, it seems like a lot of job offers, in, in the United States, but, uh, you personally, was it hard for you to find a job?

Elis: Yeah, so, uh, uh, think that Ronan, you know, the process for the immigration. So, we need to wait until we have, uh, the work permit, and then after I had that, I had a baby and, As I don’t have a family here or friends to help me, or [00:11:00] the services are very expensive in the US it’s not the same thing In Brazil.

We can have help, we can have babysitters, we can have people at home. So I, I was the mother at home. And I was waiting of course, for my paper at that time. So when I had the work permission I started to apply just to check the market and to see, as I was working in marketing and business in Brazil in a bank and my basic industry was that I started applying for the same industry.

But this industry requires citizenship because you were working with a lot of data. With a lot of numbers and secret information. So if you’re not a citizen, they. Recruiters, they didn’t talk with me. , they said thank you, but no. And, uh, then it was very hard. , I think that this is one issue that we’re [00:12:00] going to have as foreigners.

We want to have the same status or job that we could have in our countries with our own language. For me, I, my background is marketing, and again, business and advertising. It was very easy to create texts and everything in Portuguese. I knew the rose and all I needed to work with language, right? But it’s not the same thing in here.

Uh, so I applied, but I was recommended for, uh, from my friend for a position. It wasn’t administered. Chief position, I think like a secretary or a helper for the office. And then this manager saw my resume and he said, wait a minute, she can coach our clients because my, my Spanish helped me. So I am a trilingual consultant now.

Uh, but I don’t have the hours or the [00:13:00] money enough from this job. So I’ve been thinking about creating a new company. , To start over. And, uh, again, when you expand, your experiences out of a company, you don’t want to go back to the jobs that you need to be there for 40 hours receiving the money for this.

You, I, I want to create more and do other things, so I’m very happy now with the job I have, uh, counseling people and small business owners helping them with the. Challenges they have as small business owners, but. It’s not enough. So it does, I think that this is one thing that’s hard when you are not leaving the country, but with time it gets better.

So I have two or three friends that they, they’re very good examples. They are doing well. They, they’re working their [00:14:00] areas and for, I dunno, they’re, they’ve been living here for more years than I am. So I think that you adjust yourself with the new reality. This. The thing

Ronan: yeah, I get that. That’s, I think you articulated that really well.

Elis: it’s, it is a challenge. It’s not easy. Yeah. And sometimes during the meetings, uh, I have very nice case from, I have a colleague and I was saying linked in the wrong way and he said, oh, this, there’s a medicine. And I was fast enough to get the joke and I said, yes, I’m going to deliver the medicine today in your house

but this is hard as well, because if you don’t have the domain of the language, you even don’t cannot understand the jokes, yeah. It’s a little hard and well, you need to again, to be. Ready to expose [00:15:00] yourself and to communicate the way the best you can. So

Ronan: I got that, and you mentioned that, you know, it’s difficult obviously to acquire a job without that, citizenship here.

Have you, thought of, or since then, have you become a dual citizen here? , what are your thoughts, uh, towards getting naturalized here in the United States?

Elis: So we, we started in the process in Florida, as I told you, and I dunno what happened with U S C I S, but, uh, they kind of forgot about my case. So I was waiting for a long time after we moved to Virginia, until the day I asked for help, the foreign politician office.

So they found my case. again, And they scheduled the meeting for the day. I would like to travel to Brazil so I can sell that three, I think that three years ago, [00:16:00], after they, messed up with my process, I would say they forgot. I dunno what they did, but, uh, they, I, we were calling them and they were saying, just wait, wait, wait.

And then we, they realized they were very late, so we went for the interview. Again, three years ago, five 30 in the morning. And uh, she said, oh no, you deserve the 10 years green card. I was like, oof. Because we started with a, a two years green card and then you go there, apply again for 10 years, green card.

So after get that one, you can apply for the citizenship. And after Covid, they were late again. Cause of all the process got crazy and. Then I needed to start a little more time. It was two years before, now it’s three, and we just applied for my citizenship. So I have the receipt numbers, I have everything from the [00:17:00] process, but again, I need to wait for almost two years.

So I’m going to have another interview and you know, I need to study all the things, the constitution, and I need to, yeah, learn everything. And I need to, , have just one citizenship. So, uh, normally they are asking you to, , forgive about your Brazilian citizenship, but not the way Brazil is looking at this.

So I think, I think two more years, I’m going to be a citizen.

Ronan: Nice. And I, I, you mentioned, you know, obviously the, the job, uh, aspect of that, might be the highest reason, but are there any other reasons for trying to acquire that citizenship here?

Elis: Yeah, if you’re going to be living in here, I would like to vote in here.

I’d like to, uh, have all the job opportunities I can and if I want to be a business owner and have all. the rights I can have [00:18:00] in this country. So it’s better that I am a citizen.

Ronan: Yeah, definitely. Definitely. so, uh, just kind of into, more integration I guess, of your immigration. , did you ever, uh, feel like there was any point where you, were saying maybe this isn’t the right choice? and you face difficult aspects of, uh, changing through the US culture.

Elis: I dunno if it’s about the culture, but again, it’s people. So, uh, we are in Virginia and I had a group of Brazilian people, friends living here, and they all moved in like one year I lost five of them.

So that was very hard on me. And, uh, last winter was hard on me as well because my best Brazilian friend in here, she’s my neighbor, she traveled and they came back with flu. And my American sister, [00:19:00] that’s the, my son’s godmother, she, they got covid and we didn’t see anybody in a month. So it was wintertime and I was a little depressed, so I think that that was the time that my husband thought it was the best for me to come back to Brazil or go back or live in Florida again.

So we figured it out, all that together and it’s not the reason to go back. , , another thing about going back, it’s like it’s different. And I think that’s not just changing countries, but states as well. So if you, if you was born, if you were born in California, for example, and you live in Virginia, every time you go to California, you’re going to have good things and bad things from the state.

It’s the same thing for me going back to Brazil. There are a few things that I don’t want to experience anymore after living here. Uh, [00:20:00] No, it’s, it was, I think that my only wish would be if we had the tele transportation, for example, that’s like less expensive and less time to be there. Uh, but no, I think that, yeah, it’s, , again, thinking about the culture and the customs the.

It’s not customs I would like to say the manners and the things, uh, I think that, uh, hug, it’s a big thing in Brazil and it’s not the same in here. So I can see my son hugging people and he’s not welcome all the time because it’s about us. The more the Brazilian, and of course it’s before covid and after covid,

Another thing is sharing feelings and emotional, uh, things. Uh, we [00:21:00] are more open to that and so sometimes I’m oversharing, uh, but now my friends know me and I think that’s easier. Another thing, we like to take pictures a lot, so now my friends know that if I’m there in the party, they’re going to have pictures.

Uh, so I think that’s. It’s everybody’s learning from another perspective, and that is good.

Ronan: Right, right.  so kind of, uh, more, more upon that, did you feel, uh, and you said you’ve been here for, you know, seven years. , Was it hard to feel accepted into American culture, when you first arrived? , and do you feel accepted now into American culture?

, what are your experiences with kind of, Americans’ perceptions, uh, about you?

Elis: I have a lot of, uh, [00:22:00] friends from other countries. I think that’s easier to connect with them. , Again, this is a very international area, so it’s easy to have friends from all over the world. It’s not that it’s hard.

, I have a few good American friends, but I don’t have a big group, uh, of the American people. So, I think that’s, I don’t know if that’s something about being accepted. It’s, how you connect and with, home. But, ,

it, it’s not easy. Sometimes they’re, laughing on your English again, uh, and it’s, it’s okay. Or sometimes you try to cook the thing and it’s not the way, and [00:23:00] again, I’m trying so.

It’s, it’s not the same because I’m not, even though my English would be perfect, I’m not from the US so I, I dunno if I expect, expect to be fully integrated with the culture because it’s going to be always another country, another.

Parties and other food and other referrals. So, and I think that I’m fine. , I have friends, I’m trying to volunteer at school. I’m trying to integrate with more people now. And again, we have the Brazilian woman group, we have the Latinas group, we have the, it’s easier to connect with another people that’s living the same situation as you.

Are in this case. [00:24:00] And another thing saying that in intimacy comes quick and this, even though we just know each other for a month, we’re saying a lot of things and sharing a lot, so I think that this is about the culture again, but people. People are different. We don’t, we cannot say like America, people eat this or that, or we don’t.

It seems like this way or that way because again, it depend depending always from where your parents were or the culture before you or the state or the beliefs. So it’s just not about the being an American. , of course. , a few people were little more dry with the words. Than I expected or a little more direct.

I had a client saying, okay, I’m going to start talking at [00:25:00] this meeting to tell you my expectations for this. And I was like, wow. Okay. Please start. But, again, it’s about another person. It’s the education and sometimes just a bad.

Ronan: Right. Right. , I, I, I guess kind of, uh, building off of that, do you, have you had many experiences, in America where you kind of felt, ostracized or discriminated against, uh, or marginalized?

, are there any experiences where you kind of felt like somewhat of the odd man out

Elis: so the,I think that one situation, it was with a Latina woman that came to my house to, I [00:26:00] was donating something at Market Marketplace and she arrived here and I was speaking Portuguese with my son. So she said, oh, you’re from Brazil. I thought you were white and I just froze because I didn’t know what to say.

And, the fact that, that she was telling me, uh, this is kind of, weird, right, because she was Latina too. So, but where are you putting herself out there? I dunno. Like, another thing is, uh, Spanish speakers and Latinos are always messed up because, I am Latina because I am from America, Latina.

, uh, Latin America. And, they do a [00:27:00] lot of American people, they don’t consider Brazilian people Latinos because we don’t speak Spanish, but we are. So, uh, even doesn’t matter, the color of your skin is you just wasn’t born. You were born in Latin America. So yes, and there’s this one discussion. We’ve been having a lot because I have all this questionnaires sometimes like asking to, uh, choose my what you were, right?

So this is one thing. , Uh, I, I don’t remember. We had a few funny situations in the immigration process because they started thinking that you bought your marriage to be here. And I know some people they do this. , But I think that my husband didn’t know my date of birth [00:28:00] in one interview, so she said, oh, this is a real marriage.

And another thing is I, we, because the meeting was five 30 in the morning, so I forgot my son’s shoes. And so she was like, oh yeah, this is a real family. Yeah. I’m not worried if you ask, another thing I was thinking.

I forgot I had another example, but maybe I remember later. So

Ronan: No worries. , and kind of, uh, going back on that, and being, uh, not yet naturalized, but wanting to be naturalized to you, do you feel perceived by others, in America as a citizen here or as a foreigner?

Elis: I don’t know. , I think that being a citizen, it’s going to be good for a lot of [00:29:00] things. Uh, but I think that’s part of the process. I don’t know if there’s any difference. Uh, just having a green card, it’s very hard in the beginning when you cannot drive or we can, when you can need to apply and wait. But after the green card, I think.

It gets easier and than the first time. So I was waiting for my papers during my, uh, brother’s graduation and I couldn’t travel. Uh, so that was hard. And, , but I think that’s, no after having the green card, there’s no, no difference. Again, professionally, I think that’s the, the worst, because it’s not going to be the same.

And again, I have friends. They’re doing very well. So I think that’s a, a question of time and, uh, finding the [00:30:00] right position or the right business. But yeah, I don’t think that’s because of the docents. No.

Ronan: And, kind of by other American citizens who are here, do you, do you feel like they perceive you as, an immigrant or do they perceive you as, uh, an American or a citizen here?

Elis: I’m always going to be an immigrant. I think that they know that. Yes. The, the thing is like when we are there, They are all, a lot of people are asking me if I am from Europe, and of course my family’s from Poland and Italy, uh, before me. But, I, I don’t know, again, I don’t know if I can feel the difference in the.

Treatment or something. . , I remember the example I gave, uh, like we were traveling in this first trip I went to, I came back, I [00:31:00] came to visit in the US and I was with a Brazilian friend and she was, she’s taller than me and this, uh, police guy in la He thought we were Russian. With fake Brazilian passports.

So that was a hard situation as well. But yeah, he, he checked all the documentation and he, yeah, we were fine.

Ronan: So is that, that kind of, does that occur often, or is that something that happens, somewhat rarely Or is that something that really sticks out to you as kind of being a part of American culture where you feel kind of distrusted almost?

Elis: No, I think that it was one episode and after that I, I, I would, I needed to wait in this, a special room in the airport to prove that I was in the immigration process and I was doing everything right. [00:32:00] Uh, so I think that the immigration process exposes us for a lot of things. , but it’s just justice.

And, yeah, there, uh, we were in another party. I was with my friend and. We were speaking Portuguese and so another Brazilian girl, so I was in, whoa, I thought you were American. And so it’s, again, it’s uh uh, it seems like you are not Brazilian anymore, but you’re not American as well, so in some place.

Yeah, in between both cultures.

Ronan: Gotcha. . , and, uh, were there any moments kind of where you, over the past seven years where you felt like maybe, uh, immigrating to the United States wasn’t worth it? In a sense?

Elis: Again, I think that professionally is that the hardest thing, but just this, and of course visiting my family and, uh, watching my niece [00:33:00] growing up

sometimes I think about. Going back there just to be more closer to her that we are now. And , another thing is very hard when my son says I’m missing my grandma. So that’s, that’s not easy. But I think that, uh, life is good for us in here and we we’re not planning going back. So it’s not something that I’m thinking about a lot because that’s not idea, that’s not the plan

Ronan: right. , and I know you’ve mentioned a few times about, uh, going back to Brazil, , and now with your green card, are you able to go back to Brazil more often? And if so, do you, , and how often do you travel there?

Elis: So it was once a year and then Covid and during covid I was, I think two years without traveling there.

And it was the [00:34:00] safest thing to do for everybody. So we stayed and last year after my hard January, uh, we just bought the tickets for February. So I escaped winter and I spent 15 days there with my family. , we had an emergency in July, so we traveled again, but I didn’t see them because they are, South of the country and I was in Sao Paulo, so I didn’t see them.

, and I think that during this holiday season is hard, but again, Christmas is more beautiful in the US because of the winter. Yeah.

Ronan: Awesome. , and. Kind of speaking more generally to your experience. , obviously there’s a lot of, uh, issues with like policy and politics. , and you’d mentioned that a lot of the reason of wanting to be naturalized is to vote.

, has there been any policy that has directly affected you or your [00:35:00] family, in a good or bad way, , that you would like to touch on?

Elis: No. No, I don’t think so. The only thing that’s, this US CIS process is hard. and we, we didn’t pay an attorney to help us with this. We applied ourselves and, uh, at some point I needed to ask for help.

Otherwise, I dunno, uh, probably my case would be there. I think that this was the only, only thing, but, , other than that, Okay. Yeah. Again, you need to start over. You start the credit score again. You start, , a business or the professional or the job, you need a kind of start over when you in another country.

Ronan: So, , and I guess, uh, [00:36:00] building off of that, again, as, as an immigrant, would you change anything within the United States Society, , culture or, uh, politics that, uh, you’d like to see improve or change?

Elis: ,

I, uh, I dunno how to say this, but. A lot of people were trying to have the American dream life when they come back, come to live here. And it’s not every time the truth. , but we improve in security, we improve in, uh, quality of life and, , understand why people were trying to come to live here. But I don’t think that’s fair with the US as well, that everybody would like to live here and it’s not possible.

So I think that ev, every and each case are very different [00:37:00] and it’s.

It’s normal. these days we we’re learning with another cultures and another people and we are traveling more than we were before. And uh, it’s common that other people are speaking English as well and they would like to visit. And so I think that’s something that being kind is always good. And, , Just someone that tried to live in another country knows how everything that’s, uh, necessary to keep going and to be present and, uh, strong enough to keep all the decision to stay

but, , I, I think that just, ,

kindness and education is very good for everybody. and being racist with immigrants is [00:38:00] not a good thing to do. So it that sometimes I’m not living this model. Like my friends are very nice. They know where I’m from, another country and I’m lucky enough. But I’m sure a lot of people, they’re not treated very well.

So I think that this is one thing, but again, it’s not about the American people. It’s.Every and Each person and, uh, their beliefs and everything. Again, it’s not saying, oh, American people are, is not about this, but yeah. And again, a lot of people, they’re more open to new cultures, to new languages, to new places and other people they’re not.

That’s okay as well. We need to be nice with them too. Right,

Ronan: right, right. , Uh, what, what would you like, , people to know more about the, [00:39:00] , just maybe immigrants as a whole or, uh, I guess your experience. What, what would you like people to know?

Elis: Uh, we need to be open to know other people before we judge them. I think that this is the thing, uh, uh, probably they have a lot in common, but if you don’t try, you won’t know and, uh, the different perspectives, they help you. So it’s just like sharing and exploring together and, , we can see all the, uh, culture influences we have and how we are celebrating Thanksgiving, for example.

This is a very nice holiday for me because it’s the way, just say thank you. Learning another thing with another, cultures, right? Because we integrated two cultures and now we keep [00:40:00] celebrating. So that’s, that’s a very nice example of how to be kind with each other. And yeah, and again, just think that that person who immigrated probably is in a hard situation.

So yeah, just consider. The experiences, uh, little harder when you’re not in your language or country or with the people you love the most.

Ronan: Right. , yeah, definitely. I understand that a lot. , well, I, that, those are all my questions. Is there anything else that you’d like to, uh, add on before I end the recording?

Or is there anything you feel like I may have missed out? , anything that you’d like to add? Feel.

Elis: No, I think that I’m just very thankful I’m living here and, uh, having a family was always a dream and living in another country was something that I’d like to experience. Mm-hmm. . So, [00:41:00] yeah, I feel this home and I’m glad I am this area that’s very international.

I have this friends from all over the world, like, sharing the cultures and learning about. Middle East or Asia, or Well, but in America as well, because if all those new, different cultures we have and uh, yeah. Brazil is a very big country and as, as the US so we just don’t need to move countries to experience another culture.

Sometimes the states are very different, so I’m, I’m thankful because we, we are,

Ronan: Right. Well, thank you. Thank you so much. ,

Elis: no, you’re welcome. Thank you.