Chasing the American Dream

Introduction:

Emigrating is not an easy task. Hence why a lot of immigrants are very closed-off when talking about their journey. My mom being one of them. I chose to interview my mom because her story is incredibly inspiring to me, however she is cautious of what she says regarding it because it was a lot to deal with at such a young age. My mom, also known as Olivia, came to the United States at the age of twenty. She left behind me, who was one year old, her three younger brothers, and her mom. My grandmother along with my uncles raised me until I was about five years old which was when my mom was able to save enough money to bring me to the U.S.

Summary and Analysis:

However, this was no easy task for a young adult. My mom never talked about how hard she had to work to make everything possible yet as I grew older, I could see that she did everything she could to make life easier for the both of us. This was when I vowed that I would do everything in my power to give back to her whenever possible. To me, my mom is my biggest hero because she fought for our future even after going through so much pain. And for that, I will always thank her. But let’s go back to the beginning of it all because not every immigrant story is the same, maybe similar since many go through the same sacrifices, but it is always different on how it impacts the individuals involved.

In our interview, my mom mentioned that right before she came to the United States, she was one year away from graduating at her university to join the military. But just because she was one year away doesn’t mean anything when given the opportunity to better your future. My mom, born originally in Oruro moved to Cochabamba at the age of sixteen to further her education by attending university. The rest of her family following shortly after. While attending school, she would also work and take care of her three younger brothers; two of them being twins and creating havoc everywhere they went. In the picture attached, it is the twins and me about a year or so before I came to the United States. As time went on, my mom had the perfect opportunity to be able to make her journey to the U.S. Never really talking about the specifics of the journey, she has always said it was hard to deal with as mentioned in the interview. Knowing that there was no future for us in Bolivia, she only experienced pull factors to come to the U.S. In this process she was all alone, barely knowing anyone in the states especially in Virginia. In the interview she mentioned that Bolivians would always speak about Virginia and the Bolivian community within. With this web of network, my mom was able to find housing. However, this doesn’t mean that she had an apartment to herself and was living luxurious. She had to share an apartment with six other people, taking the couch as her bed. She then had to find her own job to start making money. With no means of transportation besides walking, she had to work through all types of weather. Even trudging through the feet of snow. After working for years, she was able to save up enough money for me to be brought the states.

I was five years old when I had to make the journey of jumping on a plane and being reunited with my mom. I can’t remember much from back then, but my first memory was of my taking me to Toys-R-Us to make adjusting easier. Only knowing Spanish, I was able to communicate with my mom and only her. The first step was to enroll me into school, in Bolivia I was in the second grade yet in the states I was put into the first grade because I didn’t know English. I was put into ESOL classes to learn another language which I excelled at since I was so young. My mom would always leave at four in the morning to make it to work, meaning I would only see her when she got back right before school ended. I was, and still am, incredibly close to my mom. I would always want to be with her, I guess to make up for lost time. Obviously unaware to our immigration situation, I would just focus on school and having fun with friends. My mom did her very best to make sure my childhood was amazing and fun. As I grew up and hit my teenage years is when I would learn more about our status and became incredibly invested in immigration reform.

My mom at the age of ten had convinced me to join the Bolivian dance community. The reasoning for this was because I was losing touch with my Spanish, as well as my culture. I was integrating in American culture a little too well. This was another activity that my mom made us do together to spend time, learn more about Bolivia and its culture since it had been over ten years that she had left, and so on. Everyone in the Bolivian community was very welcoming and introduced us to various friends over time. As time we went on, life got a little bit harder to deal. At the age of fifteen is when I learned of my immigration status, my mom had to speak with me about it since opportunities had arisen for me to leave the country and I wouldn’t be able to. After a while, I finally understood. However, this left me in a state of limbo since I didn’t really have a home country or truly belonged to one. As I got older, the same with my mom, I became more attached to the states and see as my home since its all I have ever known. My mom mentioned the same thing in her interview, that even without the proper membership we still think of the states as our home. At this point, I was a part of the DACA program which allowed me to work, drive, and attend community college. I took full advantage of this and began working as soon as I was able to so I could help my mom with the bills and other necessities. My mom throughout my entire life has run her own business of cleaning homes and I have never been prouder of her, but I wanted to do my part in helping her. Not many citizens would want this occupation, yet my mom never doubted the industry because she was only focused on making a living. Through her job, she was able to meet very lovely people, make her own schedule, and so on. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we were nervous as we thought it would hinder business but most of her clients actually wanted her to continue since it gave them piece of mind that everything is clean and sanitary. She was truly a hero to them in that point of time, but she has always been my hero and will continue to be for the end of time.

My mom was my biggest rock when having to deal with my fathers’ deportation. It was a really rough situation to deal with since I was only 19 years old and had been focusing on school to further my education as it was my mom’s biggest dream for me to graduate. However, one day I received a call from my father who I hadn’t spoken to in a year or so and him telling me that he had been arrested and would be sent back to Bolivia. He had also mentioned that I had to deal with his finances and his work projects, something I was never involved with. I never got to visit him within the facility before he was deported but my mom was by my side through it all. Helping me deal with my father’s work, finances, packing all his stuff, and dealing with tasks that were mentally draining. It got to the point where I had to take a year off college to focus on his situation and put myself on my own backburner. My mom took amazing care of me and helped me more than I probably know, and I am forever thankful. The entire situation showed me the true meaning of family and also amplified my dedication to immigration reform. When I found out about my own immigration status is when I wanted to do more for people like me and thus started my journey of wanting to study law and become a lawyer. Going through what my father’s deportation put me through, it further amplified my want to be an advocate. Being a first-generation student is tough enough with the pressure of wanting a better future for you family and yourself. But having to deal with these types of issues is completely draining. I will continue to work hard, as my mom mentioned it should be your only focus so you move forward in life, to be able to make my American dream come true.

Conclusion:

My mom brought us to the United States to give us a chance at a better future and of chasing our version of the American dream. Even though it hasn’t been a linear journey and we have been through a lot of obstacles to get to where we are now, we have made it worthwhile. I could never thank my mom for hard work and dedication and can only hope to be able to give back to her for everything she’s sacrificed for. I dedicate my entire life to her, and this essay will follow in the same footsteps. So, thank you mom!

Keytlin Soto  0:02 

This is an audio recording with Olivia. The interview is being conducted by Keytlin on December 10 2022 at approximately eight am

Keytlin Soto  0:18 

so just to get started

Keytlin Soto  0:22 

what was your thought process or what made you want to leave Bolivia and come to the US

Olivia Soto  0:31 

Um.. La situaticon en mi pais es muy mala en todo aspecto.

Translation: The situation in my country is very bad in every aspect

Olivia Soto  0:42 

Y alla nosotros (redacted eramos) no teniamos mucho dinero so la gente decia que cuando uno viene a trabajar a Estados Unidos podia tener poco mas de dinero y tener una mejor vida asi que um ..

Translation: And over there we didn’t have much money so people would say that when one comes to work in the U.S. they could have a bit more money and have a better life

Olivia Soto  0:57 

Eso era el pensamineto que uno tiene alla, venir a estados unidos a trabajar fuerte y tener mejor vida para su familia – dar mejor vida a la familia

Translation: That’s what a lot of people thought, come to the U.S. to work hard and have a better life for their family – give a better life to their family

Keytlin Soto  1:11 

And when you made the decision to come to the US, was the process of like getting a visa and all of that difficult?

Olivia Soto  1:21 

Si para venir a estados unidos te piden un monton de cosas como que tienes que tener …

Translation: Yes, to come to the U.S. they ask for a bunch of things. Like you must have ..

Olivia Soto  1:31 

Una casa, cuentas de banco y demas cosas. el proceso es bien dificultoso. yo he venido con visa pero hay mucha gente que viene por otros lugares, por mexico porque no puede consiguir eso

Translation: A house, bank accounts, and a bunch of other things. The process is very difficult. I came with a visa but a lot of people come through other places, from Mexico because they couldn’t get a visa

Olivia Soto  1:48 

es bien dificil hay vastante gente que solo llega a mexico y duespues se va. pero cuesta vastante para esa gente. a mi solo porque tenia visa no me a costado much para llegar pero es bien – el proceso es bien dificil

Translation: It is very difficult, there’s a lot of people who get to Mexico and then leave. It costs a lot for them. Just because I had a visa, it wasn’t super costly to come here but the process is very difficult

Keytlin Soto  2:11 

Yeah, um entonces or like once you were in the US, how was it to adjust from going from like a family back in Bolivia to like you being alone.

Olivia Soto  2:28 

es un proceso um

Translation: It’s a process um

Olivia Soto  2:32 

muy um

Translation: Very um

Olivia Soto  2:36 

malo al principio porque uno se siento solo en esta pais, esta solo y siempre estas acordandote de tu familia en tu pais

Translation: Bad, at the beginning because one feels lonely in this country, is alone and always remembering of their family back in their country

Olivia Soto  2:50 

pero todo lo que haces trabajar trabajar dia y noche

Translation: But everything you do, working every day and night

Olivia Soto  2:55 

para que esa tu familia este bien en tu pais. A sido un cambio duro porque ademas

Translation: So your family is fine in your country. It was a hard change because

Olivia Soto  3:05 

yo deje a mi bebe

Translation: I left my baby

Olivia Soto  3:06 

Y era bien dificil

Translation: And it was very difficult

Olivia Soto  3:12 

Despues poco a poco te vas acostumbrando y te va gustando como es la vida aqui en estados unidos. es completamente diferente a como es en nuestros paises, mas organizado en todo aspecto. pero el ajustarse, el vivir aqui solo, teniendo toda tu familia en tu pais es muy dificil

Translation: After, little by little you get used to it and you begin liking the life here in the U.S. its completely different compared to our countries, its more organized in every aspect. But adjusting to living here alone, having all your family back home is very difficult

Olivia Soto  3:40 

Y las emociones son muy malas pero despues yo creo que si valen la pena

Translation: and the emotions are very bad but after I think its worth it

Keytlin Soto  3:47 

Can you tell me about your life now?

Olivia Soto  3:52 

Ahora

Translation: now

Olivia Soto  3:54 

Yo pienso que estoy bien, estoy con mi hija a quien habia dejado

Translation: I think im okay, im here with my daughter who I had left

Olivia Soto  4:02 

Tengo mi familia. Y pienso que ahora aun que no sea

Translation: I have my family and I think even though I’m not

Olivia Soto  4:12 

Residente ni cuidadana quiero a este pais como si fuera el mio

Translation: a resident or citizen I love this country like if it were my own

Olivia Soto  4:19 

Y siento que a sido un cambio bueno aunque

Translation: and I feel like it was a good change even though

Olivia Soto  4:24 

la mayor parte de mi familia este en mi paiz.

Translation: the majority of my family is back in my country

Keytlin Soto  4:31 

Y

Translation: and

Keytlin Soto  4:34 

Do you believe that the US needs like a change in the immigration reform? Or do you like the immigration policy in place now? Or how would you rate the process of trying to become a citizen?

Olivia Soto  4:52 

Bueno, para mi a sido bien dificil porque yo he llegado unos

Translation: well for me it was difficult because I arrived a few

Olivia Soto  4:59 

meses antes del 9/11 en el 2001 asi que ahi se terminaron todo los procesos o todo lo que se podia hacer para los imigrantes

Translation: months before 9/11 in 2001 so the processes ended or everything that could’ve been done for immigrants ended

Olivia Soto  5:12 

No hay que yo sepa alguna clase de reforma para ayudar a los imigrantes al menos que te cases con un cuidadano americano y otras cosas que siempre estan pero una reforma concreta no hay

Translation: from what I know there’s no reform to help immigrants unless you marry a citizen and other things that have been in place but there’s no concrete reform

Olivia Soto  5:27 

Pienso que deberia cambiar en ese aspecto pero los politicos son los que deciden. Y la forma de cambiar segun mi pensamineto deberia ser para la gente que vino a trabajar que pagan sus impuestos, que no tiene que vivir del govierno para estar en este pais osea la gente que hace los cosas bien a esas personas se les deberia ayudar porque entiendo que tambien hay gente un poco mala que viene hacer cosas mala a este pais pero …

Translation: I think there should be a change but the politicians are the ones that decide. And the way it should change with my way of thinking, it should be for the people that came to work and pay their taxes, that don’t live off the government. So the people that do the right thing, they should be the ones to get help. I understand too that there’s bad people who come and do bad things but

Olivia Soto  6:05 

si hay personas que viene a trabajar y vienen ayudar a sus familias y vienen ayudar al progreso de este pais y pagan sus impiestos y todo deberia hacerse una reforma para ellos pero um

Translation: there are people who come to work and help their families and help the progress of this country and pay their taxes, etc. there should be a reform for them but

Olivia Soto  6:22 

creo que tienen otras prioridades aca

Translation: I think they have other priorities here

Olivia Soto  6:26 

pero

Translation: but

Olivia Soto  6:29 

si necesita una reforma no creo que hay una reforma justa para todos

Translation: yes there needs to be a reform I don’t think theres a reform fair for everyone

Keytlin Soto  6:35 

and on the topic of immigration, can you speak about your immigration process and like how long you’ve been waiting?

Olivia Soto  6:45 

Um, si yo estoy esperando casi 5 anos

Translation: I have been waiting for about 5 years

Olivia Soto  6:54 

desde que hemos metido para poder ser legalmente residentes

Translation: since we have processed to be legal residents

Olivia Soto  7:01 

nos han dado el permiso de trabajo todo pero todavia hay que esperar. el sistema es muy lento

Translation: they’ve given us work permits but we still have to wait. The system is very slow

Olivia Soto  7:11 

5 anos despues no nos ha llegado nada so estoy en espera pero es un proceso demasiado largo

Translation: 5 years later, we still haven’t received anything so im waiting but the process is very long

Olivia Soto  7:21 

como que si no importara mucho so ahi esta y tengo que seguir esperando

Translation: seems like it doesn’t matter much to them so im here and I have to keep waiting

Keytlin Soto  7:30 

what kind of advice would you have for say like if you’ve met like someone that just came to the United States like what advice would you give them?

Olivia Soto  7:40 

Um seria que mi consejo

Translation: my advice would be

Olivia Soto  7:47 

que

Translation: that

Olivia Soto  7:49 

para los que recien vienen solo

Translation: for those who just got here

Olivia Soto  7:52 

trabajen por que todos vienen a trabajar. que trabajen o que estudien pero que respeten todas las  reglas y las leyes de este pais. Que este pais habre las puertas a mucha gente pero necesitamos tambien nosotros respetar sus leyes y seguir todas sus reglas solamente eso y que trabajen duro nada mas

Translation: to work because everyone comes to work. Work or study but to respect the rules and laws of this country. That this country opens a lot of doors for a lot of people but we need to also respect their laws and follow their rules. That’s it, work very hard and nothing else

Keytlin Soto  8:20 

Volviendo cuando has llegado

Translation: going back to when you got here

Keytlin Soto  8:23 

A los estados unidos. Why did you choose Virginia?

Translation: to the U.S.

Olivia Soto  8:31 

por que la mayoria de la gente de mi pais de Bolivia. Creo que esta en esta area

Translation: because the majority of the people from my country I think are in this area

Olivia Soto  8:39 

no es que escogido sino que.

Translation: I didn’t choose instead

Olivia Soto  8:44 

La gente que viene mayormente de Bolivia

Translation: the majority of people that come from Bolivia

Olivia Soto  8:47 

esta en el area de Virginia

Translation: is in this area of virginia

Olivia Soto  8:51 

Por eso si tenia tal vez algunas amistades en ese tiempo que han – me han ofrecido donde quedarme por eso que vine aca

Translation: I must have had a friend back then offer me to stay somewhere which is why I came here

Olivia Soto  9:01 

la mayor concentracion de Bolivianos esta en esta area

Translation: the majority concentration of Bolivians are in this area

Keytlin Soto  9:06 

do you like living in Virginia now or do you wish you like on somewhere else?

Olivia Soto  9:14 

No, me gusta vivir en Virginia es

Translation: no, I like living in virginia

Olivia Soto  9:18 

Es una

Translation: it is

Olivia Soto  9:22 

Un estado muy

Translation: a state that’s

Olivia Soto  9:28 

Como se dice callado?

Translation: how do you say quiet

Keytlin Soto  9:30 

Quiet?

Olivia Soto  9:31 

yeah … callado? no es callado

Translation: no its no quiet

Keytlin Soto  9:35 

Oh like calm? 

Olivia Soto  9:36 

calm yeah. Un calmado no hay muchas cosas como en otros estados No se eschucha muchas

Translation: A calm state, there’s not a lot of things like other states. You don’t hear a lot

Olivia Soto  9:47 

cosas malas so

Translation: of bad things

Olivia Soto  9:51 

me gusta como es el area

Translation: I like how the area is

Olivia Soto  9:55 

No hay mucha calor mucho frio esta bueno regular creo yo, pero me gusta virginia.

Translation: its not too hot or cold, very regular I think but I like virginia

Keytlin Soto  10:03 

Yeah.

Keytlin Soto  10:05 

Oh, antes de venir a los estados unidos estabas estudiando en Bolivia?

Translation: before coming to the U.S. were you studying in Bolivia

Olivia Soto  10:12 

Si estaba estudiando psichologia en mi tercer ano de la Universidad

Translation: I was studying psychology in my third year of university

Keytlin Soto  10:18 

so close

Keytlin Soto  10:21 

Y que querias hacer con eso o que era tu like dream job

Translation: what did you want to do with that

Olivia Soto  10:25 

oh, queria estudiar psichologia.

Translation: oh I wanted to study psychology ..

Olivia Soto  10:30 

Por que queria entrar a la Accademia militar en Bolivia

Translation: because I wanted to join the military academy in Bolivia

Olivia Soto  10:37 

Porque en alla. Y esas veces solo permitian entrar la las mujeres a la academia militar cuando eran negrecadas de economia, the psicologia, pedagogia um derecho y algun otra cosa mas. solo podian ser egrecadas no podian dejar entrar a los que han salido como de high school.

Translation: because over there and in that time they would only allow women to join the military academy when they studied economy, psychology, pedagogy, law, and another thing. They had to graduate, they couldn’t join after graduating high school

Keytlin Soto  11:02 

Yeah

Olivia Soto  11:02 

so queria entrar ahi por eso estaba estudiando psicologia

Translation: so I wanted to join the military which is why I was studying psychology

Keytlin Soto  11:08 

do you think now like once you’re able to you would pursue an education

Keytlin Soto  11:17 

because you have your high school diploma technically

Olivia Soto  11:21 

Yeah. Aqui si, tengo mi GED.

Translation: yea here I have my ged

Keytlin Soto  11:25 

Yeah,

Olivia Soto  11:26 

Um he tratado antes de entrar pero como tenia la residencia o social security es muy carro para nosotros estudiar pero

Translation: I tried before but since im not a resident and didn’t have social it was very expensive for us to study but

Olivia Soto  11:43 

no se ya tengo cuarenta y dos anos No creo que

Translation: I don’t know, im 42 years old I don’t think so

Olivia Soto  11:50 

Talvez si puedo pero todavia estoy esperando

Translation: Maybe but im still waiting

Olivia Soto  11:54 

pero no no estoy segura de eso todavia

Translation: im not sure of that yet

Keytlin Soto  11:59 

and last question would you do anything different now that like you’ve lived through it all? Would you go back and change anything?

Olivia Soto  12:12 

No, no cambiaria nada por que

Translation: no I wouldn’t change anything because

Olivia Soto  12:18 

Hacido un cambio bueno, para ofrecer a mi familia

Translation: it was a good change to offer my family

Olivia Soto  12:23 

aunque yo a sacrificado parte de mi juventud o lo que sea hacido un cambio muy bueno, no cambiare nada

Translation: even though I sacrificed my younghood or whatever, it was a good change I wouldn’t change anything

Olivia Soto  12:36 

Talvez, hubiera tratado de tomar algunos pasos diferentes para

Translation: maybe, I would’ve have tried other things to

Olivia Soto  12:43 

tratar de mejorar pero no, no cambiaria nada

Translation: to get better but no I wouldn’t change anything

Keytlin Soto  12:51 

Thank you so much. Do you want to say any last words?

Olivia Soto  12:54 

No (giggles).