Anastasia Muya was born and raised in a little town outside of Moscow, Russia. It can be compared to a smaller version of silicon valley that has recently become a lot more developed. To paint the picture more clearly,  “The little town where a lot of scientists live”. During her time at university she studied linguistics and hoped to pursue a career in that field. One summer she decided to participate in a working abroad program where she decided to come to America and work at a job in New Jersey for three months. The work visa was handled through the program and was easy to obtain as long as she had already had a job lined up for her when she arrived in America. She had a lot of exciting adventures before returning home: “We worked a lot, we partied a lot. Then I went back to Russia”.  After having a good experience and meeting lots of new people, Anastasia decided to do the program again the next summer.  The decision to come back and work for a second summer was the driving factor that led her to stay in America to continue her education, as she had no long term plan.

This Interview was Anastasias and I’s first interaction together. She works with my mom, which is why I wanted to interview her. I had learned a few details about her life, such as, she immigrated to America from Russia, she wants to teach her kids to be bilingual, her husband is also an immigrant, and she started working in America in a beach town that is close to me, which is why I knew this would be the perfect opportunity to learn more about her life. While I was coming up with interview questions, the topics that I wanted to expand upon were the factors that had influenced her to stay and pursue a degree, the process of integration into American culture and the impact of being a Russian immigrant on family and friends.

Moving across the world in your early 20s is a huge decision to make; I wanted to know what factors contributed to Anastasia wanting to stay and pursue further education. The opportunity to work abroad was the initial cause of what influenced her to stay, the ease that came with obtaining a work visa and having the program handle the administrative part provided a smooth path. The appeal of New Jersey was it’s overall convenience, she knew she would be landing in New York and wanted to find a job that was close in proximity because she did not have a lot of money to spend on travel. She mentioned, “I didn’t have much money to travel further down, you know, the United States. So I picked somewhere on the East Coast”, this is a common circumstance that impacts the initial settlement of immigrants. Along with New Jersey being close, Wildwood specifically, has a low cost of living. Wildwood has changed a lot since she had first worked there, it used to be very diversere with students from all over Europe, She explained, “there were a lot of students from Europe, like from, like Ireland, Scotland’s you know, there were so many, like, from Czech Republic, definitely a lot of Russians. So it was a good mix”. These decisions were all made during Anastasia’s initial trip to America and because the experience was enjoyable due to friends and coworkers she was pulled back to New Jersey her second time around. 

After hearing what she had to say about her experiences doing the work abroad program and how they overall seemed to be very positive, I wanted to hear about what factors simultaneously pushed her away from moving back home to Russia. Anastasia explained how Russia is not a very predictable country, with corruption being a strong influence within their system.  There is no way to know what your future will look like. Nepotism and connections can predict your future no matter the education or experience that you have previously. Anasasia described the process as, “You have to know people to get a job or to like, get into a good college”. It was difficult to know what your future was going to look like. In comparison, she described America to be a more predictable country, She explained “if you do X, Y, and Z leads to certain opportunities”. If you work hard and go to school, it makes getting a job a lot easier. Having money and education can lead the way for certain career and lifestyle paths, there is “no gray area”.  There are also more opportunities here as a result of less corruption. The process to change career paths later on in life, or go back to school to learn new skills is a more achievable goal in America. Overall, what led Anastasia to test out the United States and decide that it was where she wanted to stay was the predictability, great experiences, and endless opportunities. The Main goal of staying in the United States was to expand upon her studies, which was linguistics, and her concentration was in English. What better way to learn English than immersing yourself in a culture whose dominant language is English. 

As I was learning about what factors contributed to Anastasia staying in America, I wanted to understand what the integration process was like. Starting with her college experience, she emphasized the differences in the classroom environments between Russia and the United States. She was “struck” by the relaxed environment that is community college in the United States. The Russian classrooms have an authoritative education system where there is a known level of respect for teachers. The education system has a strong hierarchy between the teachers and the students, whereas the American education system, especially in many college courses, are formatted more commonly as a socratic seminar style. Anastasia was surprised to see how, “teachers are not like looking down at you, you know, they’re kind of trying to make it more in a reciprocal conversation”. Although the formatting is very opposite, within higher education, she addresses how there is still a level of respect in regards to professors and students. 

A language barrier is a common issue that immigrants face when coming to the United States or just traveling to another country in general. Anastasia began to learn the English language in 5th grade, but it was not taken as a serious subject. She began to take the language as an essential course during her high school education, at that time, her courses were more immersive, as they were taught by teachers from England, she explained, “you were forced to speak English with them whether you want it or not”. When she came to America she knew some English and could speak well, but because the teachers were from England some of the words and phrases were very different and she would have to pick up on American jargon. With her background in English, she said,  “it took me about a year to fully understand what people are saying to me”, that is a very quick time to be fully conversational in a different language. 

Integration into a new job can have quite a culture shock, as it is different from attending a new college. Working as a school psychologist exposed her to many unexpected events. Learning how some school systems work and how the children and students behave can be alot to take in. Anastasia had previously told me that her exposure to the education system as a college student was a shock, she explained how working in a school with younger children was also something she was not prepared for. She spoke about how there is a strong lack of respect between younger children and their teachers,it did not matter to them who they were speaking to. In comparison to Russia, even in the lower level classes, she stressed that,  “no matter what, you never talk back”. Working in a school and experiencing this first hand was shocking.  

Learning the social norms and how people think is a large contributor to how easily you can integrate into a new society. One component that Anastasia spoke about in particular was the difference between the way friendships work in America and Russia. She explained how people in Russia have a rough surface and they can come off mean and unbothered, but once you get to know them and become friends they will do anything for you. She compared this to Americans who, she explained, are nicer and more open on the surface, but in reality it’s difficult to find a friend who you can have a deep connection with. What we see on the surface contributes to the stereotypes that have been created about people from each country. Anastasia explained that a common stereotype about Russians is that they are mean people who love vodka, whereas a common stereotype about Americans is that we are simpleminded and friendly.  

Anastasia decided to move to the United States to see what would happen, she explained she, “didn’t have a major grand plan”. Going to a new country for “an adventure” puts less pressure on a person to succeed, because of this, there is less societal pressure to conform and establish a sense of “prestige” to compensate for the attitudes towards immigrants. Also, as a college student there is less judgement from society about being an immigrant, because they are pursuing higher education. Anastasia had a goal to have fun, further her education, and see what would happen, more specifically she thought, “if it works it works, if it doesn’t work, I’ll go back”. 

Immigrating to a new country without your base support system can be very difficult, and since her family still lives back in Russia, she was doing just that. A common struggle amongst immigrants is the separation between family members. Anastasia talked to me about the complications of traveling back and forth to Russia before she gained U.S. citizenship, but since gaining dual citizenship it has made traveling an easier process. Her parents have Visas in the United states that last 3 years and allow for visitation up to 6 months at a time. She explained how before Covid-19 her parents would, “come once a year… and stay for a few weeks”. She and her husband also visited Russia a few times before they had children. With traveling back and forth, the separation and homesickness from Russia was not as bad as anticipated. Due to the current relationship between Russia and the United States Anastasia spoke about how she was concerned for her parents’ visas to expire. She professed how “disheartening” it is not knowing what the future will be like.  With the plans to close the embassies, her parents may have trouble renewing their Visas after they expire. The policies and relationships that America has with other countries have a domino effect that sometimes cause unanticipated consequences, which typically negatively impacts immigrant families.

Along with learning about Anastasia’s family back in Russia, we also spoke about her husband and kids and what the mixture of cultures is like while raising children.  Her husband is an immigrant from Argentina, who came to America as a young kid with his father and quickly obtained U.S. Citizenship. She became a U.S. citizen through marriage and although she is a dual citizen, he is not. They have two children ages four and two that live in a housloud where there are three languages spoken:  “he speaks Spanish, I speak Russian but we speak English ”. The most commonly used languages in her home are Russian and English. Anastasia emphasized how she was going to make it a “priority” that her children learn Russian. She spoke about the importance of teaching her children Russian because that is what her parents, their grandparents, speak and she wanted to ensure they could communicate. Along with speaking Russian at home, the children attend a bilingual daycare that, “teaches Russian and English”. A very common misconception about second generation immigrants is that they have a difficult time assimilating, in reality most second generation immigrants find it quite easy to embrace both cultures. Anastasia’s children, although young, have integrated quite easily. One thing that we were speaking about was how her children enjoyed speaking English at school because that is what a majority of their friends speak. She emphasized how she will have to be “the enforcer” when they go home to ensure they are sticking with both languages. 

As second generation Immigrants they will be allowed to obtain dual citizenship. Anastasia speaks on the convenience factor of being able to travel freely across borders. Especially with her family still living back in Russia this would make the process to visit them much easier and would benefit them greatly if her parents were unable to renew their Visas. Anastaisa describes how her children are not raised in, “that Russian Culture bubble”, and does not foresee any problems with them adjusting to American Culture. 

Migration to America can be a very tough and unpredictable life, but Anastasia displays the importance of having a strong support group, which can make or break this experience. Having friends that you enjoy spending time with, an open mind, and learning to embrace a new culture while still holding close to your roots is crucial. Although this process was positive, for the majority, there is still a lot that she missed about being back home, for instance, “the food… my friends…. I missed my family the most”. 

Moving to a new country and starting a new phase of your life requires a big leap of faith. Anastasia took a leap of faith and moved across the world to further her education and have lots of new adventures. Being an immigrant comes with many positives and also some negatives too, that being said each person has a completely different experience. Anastasia spoke about the difficulties that she faced the most when first coming to America were relating to people when they talked about their experience growing up. Not having common ground to bond on, or having that best friend that you grew up with is a harsh experience to have, but the way to get through it is to simply “take it one day at a time”.

Victoria shearn 0:01
Okay, um, so I guess what the first thing I want to do is have you introduce yourself

Anastasia 0:10
synesthesia. Um, I changed my last name went with my husband’s name because my maiden name was way too long that was started spelling it

Victoria shearn 0:23
is yeah. So firstly, I kind of want to know was so where did you grow up in Russia? And what was life like there?

Anastasia 0:33
Whew, how long do you have? Well, I didn’t grow up. Kind of like right outside of Moscow. It’s a small city, like small town really? Like 3030s It’s a town where a lot of our research research like engineering and all kinds of facilities were so usually it’s like the the little town where like a lot of scientists live. Oh, interesting. Yeah, so we just happen to be very, it was very small right now. It’s like a lot more developed. Compared the way it was, like 3040 years ago. But yeah, it was, it was different.

Victoria shearn 1:13
And so did you grow up learning both Russian and English? Or was English a language that you had to learn once you came over to America?

Anastasia 1:22
Well, English was offered starting in fifth grade. So technically, I started learning it then. But predominantly, I learned in high school when I took like, separate English classes with native speakers. Oh, teachers from England. Yeah. So they they know any Russian so therefore, you are forced to speak English with them whether you want it or not. So you can learn to lose that barrier. would say I learned English, mainly from like, attending those additional classes, like, you know, throughout middle and high school. Like it did not make much sense to me like the rule since I was not good at it. Until that point.

Victoria shearn 2:04
I’ve heard from a couple of people that English is a weird language to learn. We have like a bunch of random rules and exceptions and everything.

Anastasia 2:14
Yeah, yeah. It’s, it’s it’s very different. Yeah.

Victoria shearn 2:19
So when did you come to America, and what kind of influenced you to make the decision to move all the way across the world?

Anastasia 2:29
Well, to be honest with you, I didn’t have a major grand plan. I moved here by myself when I was 20. So my family still lives in Russia, my parents, my brother, other relatives. So I just kind of came here for a summer with a student exchange program. That’s like a program for you have to be a full time student at a you know, university or college and whatsoever. And you come here for a summer you get like a work visa for, you know, five months. So you can work wherever you want, you know, travel, and then you go back. So I did that for one summer, I came here kind of like, had fun. We worked a lot, we partied a lot. Then I went back to Russia to continue my education, and then came again, the next summer to do the same thing. And then at some point, you know, during that summer, I decided to try to go to school here. So I figured, you know, if it works works, if it doesn’t work, I’ll go back. Like, I didn’t have a you know, better plan for 10 years ahead of me, so I just kind of taking the chance and just exploring, having an adventure to be honest with you.

Victoria shearn 3:40
Yeah. Well, it seems like it worked out pretty well. Like it did

Anastasia 3:43
work. Yeah, we’re gonna help a lot with a lot of friends. So I’m definitely very grateful to a lot of people who I met. When I’m, you know, when I came here first. They helped me through a lot, and then it worked. Yeah.

Victoria shearn 3:57
So would you say that when you came over for the working visa? Did you come over with a bunch of students that you already knew? Or were they a bunch of just random students from the university?

Anastasia 4:08
Oh, you know what? It’s like many cities, many universities take place in this program, and you can go anywhere you want. So I just chose somewhere on the East Coast, because you know, you have a direct flight to New York, and then to Venice, where they didn’t have much money to travel further down, you know, United States. So I picked somewhere on the East Coast, and I didn’t know anybody when they came. You just and I went to Wildwood so heard, it’s a fun place. Students. Yeah. And when I came, there was just, you know, students from so many different countries and I just met people there.

Victoria shearn 4:44
That’s awesome. We I actually live right by there. I live in stone harbor for this summer. So I kind of know what Wildwood is like. It’s a really cool place.

Anastasia 4:54
And it’s changed a lot but like at the time when I you know, when I came in, like there was a lot of students from You were up like from from, like Ireland, Scotland, you know, there was so many, like, from Czech Republic, definitely a lot of Russians. It was it was a good mix.

Victoria shearn 5:11
And that’s nice. Yeah. What was the process like getting the visa? Did you? Was it like easier through the program? Or how did that?

Anastasia 5:19
Yeah, so kind of like the program took care of the visa, you know, we had to provide a lot of people work, and you had to had a job offer in order to apply so I just kind of like randomly search the internet and just found a job offer. And then they the program took care of the business. So I didn’t have like, we went for an interview and stuff, but like, none of the specifics. Like really? You know, I didn’t have to worry about that. Oh, that’s

Victoria shearn 5:45
nice. Um, what would you say was like the biggest culture shock that you weren’t expecting when you first arrived?

Anastasia 5:54
Oh, culture shock first, it was humid, humid as hell like, yeah. And we landed and I was like, sweating. I just couldn’t. What was wrong with this weather? It’s like, it’s hot or cold. But it’s, it’s, it’s weird. It was in between and plus, like, very humid. So that kind of, like shocked me right off the plane. And, but culture shock, oh, my God, I don’t know. Everything is so everything was different people, people’s perceptions, you know, their culture, their attitudes towards things and just, well, I’m in, you know, like, I started going to college. And what struck me there, it’s just like a system, the educational system is so different. Like, you know, in Russia, when I grew up there, there’s a certain level of respect to adults, no matter who they are, and to teachers. Like they’re like, they’re like, you know, so no matter like, you never talk back, like so it was so when I started going, like, you know, I started a community college. And a, like, teachers were sitting on a desk and being like, savant about and I can’t even imagine my teacher sitting on a desk and, you know, in my classroom in Russia, I’m like, What are just like, you know, just in there, like, laid back attitude and then and of course, in college at college level, they will not so much talking back, you know, there’s a lot of open discussions which to see, like, it’s not like, teachers are not like looking down at you, you know, they’re kind of trying to make it more in a reciprocal conversation where, you know, like, bouncing ideas off of each other and kind of like, different style of teaching and put it that

Victoria shearn 7:38
way. Much more like conversational community. Yeah, yeah.

Anastasia 7:42
And then when I started, you know, years later when I started working in a school I just saw just lack of respect for teachers just just they could they feel the high school students can feel free to tell them to eff off and I was just like blown away like wow, like now in a million years I would you know, expect to see that so I especially think the two things that struck me but I’m sure there’s like so many other things

Victoria shearn 8:09
Yeah, that was a that was a hard question to answer very, very broad so what kind of made you want to after like your second work visa program, what made you want to stay and take courses here instead of going back to Russia to take initiative?

Anastasia 8:27
Well, the major I guess the major decisive point was like in Russia I was studying linguistics and like English to become like an interpreter or you know, work with language. So that so you know, what’s the best way to learn English is in an English speaking country you know, versus learning from the question teachers Oh, that kind of like may made me stay in terms of like you know, a I will improve my English b I’ll learn something else you know, like some other major professions so I decided to stay you know, to apply to college this you know, just kind of happens yeah.

Victoria shearn 9:04
Um, so you said that a bunch of your like English speaking teachers were most of them from England so it was it weird like a language barrier kind of like different English when you came over here? Or was it not so

Anastasia 9:17
yeah, there was a lot of slang and a lot of like mushed up words together and it took me about a year to like fully understand what people are saying to me. I know language I know like grammar you know, like definitely picked up more vocabulary along the way but then the way people talk about slang you know, just like hey, you all like like, you all like, is there a word is so so yeah, the way people speak? Just the intonation and the slang and just get it took me about a year to like fully understand. I remember when I started, you know, like, first or second summer started working as a waitress. So down down the shore. So I remember like serving some people and I had no idea when they were asking me for just like Ron and grab like some like an American, like an American students and say like, I have no idea what they want from me

Victoria shearn 10:15
that so did you do you think you’ve experienced any sort of prejudice either like throughout your life because of where you’re from either like, in college or in your current job?

Anastasia 10:32
Oh, over positive person, you know what I mean? Like, I like, I look at the bright side, and if there’s people find something wrong, you know, I don’t as like, immediately, like, accounted for me being Russian, per se, but then a lot of people like, Oh, what do you think of Putin? Or what do you think of this? Or what do you think of the cyber attack? I’m like, you know, what? political games, and a lot of like, there’s a lot of misconception and a lot of like, propaganda here against Russia. Same thing in Russia, like saying, America is this and that, in reality, I learned a lot of that not true. And the way they you know, present information here, it just seems so outrageous. Yeah. Oh, and like, exaggerated. versus, you know, the way it really is, there. And then I don’t know, sometimes people would have, like, certain attitude, knowing that I was not just an American, but, like, from Russia, like, some would be really interested and to learn more, and some will be like, I don’t know about this lady. Like, a Russian spy. I’m like, Yeah, sure. I’ll tell you about it.

Victoria shearn 11:57
So did you feel that the opportunities were better here? Or versus? Is that why you wanted to, like, stay once you kind of establish ground? Or? Yeah,

Anastasia 12:08
yeah, I feel like life here is more predictable, and easier, and kind of, like, more more routine, you know, like, you know, you know, if you do X, Y, and Z leads to certain opportunities, or if you get to the occasion, you can get a job. You know, you can do a million different things. And because in Russia, there’s still, I mean, here to at some point, but I’m not sure there’s still a lot of corruption and like, you have to know people to get a job or to like, get into like, a good college. So here, it’s like, if you if you’re smart, or if you have money, you kind of like you’re in you know, no gray areas. Well, I’m sure at some colleges, like I’m not talking about Ivy League’s, you know, like, just like regular education wise. But they’re, you know, like, given to get a good job, like, you have to have connections, but and that way, is based on connections. So, yeah,

Victoria shearn 13:09
that’s awesome. So, what would you would you say that, like the integration into American culture and kind of adjusting? Would you say it was difficult? Or, like, easier than you expected? Or how was that kind of just adjusting to full time living here?

Anastasia 13:32
Good question. It definitely took some time, you know, like, and I’m not trying to, yes, I am trying to like assimilate. I’m not totally giving up my Russian culture, you know, like, I still like Russian food, and I go to my Russian stores, you know, like something that, you know, reminds me a form, of course, is still very important. So, I’m not trying to trying to totally, like, give up. Yeah, learning, like, but I’m not living in a bubble, you know, what I mean? Like, where there’s some families who like come, especially like people who are older, you know, they don’t learn language, English as well. They don’t like, you know, get good jobs because of the language barriers. So they and they still live in a Russian community and, you know, talk to those people, versus, you know, really being fully integrated, and, like, you know, culture and language. And so, I feel like being young can, you know, I came here when I was 20. So, I was still, you know, learning and not so set in my ways that, you know, open to learning, learning new things, and of course, like meeting, you know, new people through education through work for friends, you know, like, not just having Russian friends, you know, like that kind of broaden, you know, made it easier.

Victoria shearn 14:48
So, along with, I feel like coming at the age that you came over. It sounds like you had a lot of advantages coming at that time in your life. Do you think that you’ve experienced any other disadvantage such as being rushed in with, like opportunities that you’ve had or just experiences that you have, do you think it’s given you a leg up? At any point, um,

Anastasia 15:13
I don’t know if it like really. You know, it’s like, I feel like if you work hard, you can achieve a lot, you know, so I don’t care where you’re from, you know, a good goal, like, I’m gonna do my best to achieve it. And, you know, like, I learned, I learned English, you know, through ESL program first, and then you know, just in college, and I know it really well, but still, like, Russian is my first language, it’s my, you know, like, native language, I’m a lot more fluid and comfortable with that. So sometimes, you know, expressing myself, I feel like, it takes me a minute to kind of, like, collect my thoughts and exactly, like, figured out how I’m going to say it versus just, you know, kind of like, it, you know, if I need to respond and rush on, like, I don’t have to think about it, you know, what I mean? Like, naturally, so like, not being as like, quick with my words, or, like, you know, like, express, you know, expressing myself as clear systems. I don’t know, I guess I was maybe perceived, as, you know, over lesser, I don’t know, how to explain it fully. And then getting the jokes at the beginning was hard, because like, sense of humor is a bit different. And phrases that don’t like, translate literally, so you have to know it. So kind of, like, I wasn’t getting the jokes, you know, and now maybe I was perceived as not funny or something. But, like, you get to you learn it like with with time, you know, like, you’ve kind of immerse yourself in that. And then you’re like, oh, that’s what they meant. But I guess in terms of feeling, getting a leg up, I feel like being bilingual is helped me in my job. So for example, I worked for a school district as bilingual counseling assistance. So my job was working with Russian speaking population, and helping them you know, navigate the schooling system in the United States, because as I said, it’s so different, and especially if people come, like they just immigrated, and they had no idea where to go, what to documents they need to apply, and what programs are there, like how system works. So I was my job was to help them and translate for, you know, for example, if they needed to talk to a counselor, like, you know, they there was not that easy to communicate or main office, so I tried to help them so definitely, you know, that was really like, why I was hired, I guess now being, you know, being psychologist like, I definitely was able to use my, you know, my language skills when working with Russian families, although they’re you and far in between, but then when they, you know, when they need it me like I helped out and, you know, like different schools, and had some meetings with people with like, friends and families who are not fluent in English, and they needed somebody to interpret what’s so I was able to help out.

Victoria shearn 18:09
I’m sure that definitely made them feel much more comfortable in their atmosphere having someone else that can speak they’re like, yeah,

Anastasia 18:16
I hope so. Yeah. Like, you know, people are trying to tell you and the other is x y&z is wrong with your daughter, you know how you present it to somebody who doesn’t speak your language? Or you know, and I tried to soften the blow I guess.

Victoria shearn 18:31
So, tell me about your family. What’s it like having children especially in a global pandemic right now?

Anastasia 18:41
My family like my children well, my husband is actually from Argentina. So he speaks Spanish I speak Russian but we speak English to each other so it’s a blend my kids like I made it a priority to teach them the language so I want to make sure they at least bilingual so So I teach them Russian you know, when my husband is here was speak English. And the pandemic I guess it didn’t affect I feel like it didn’t affect them that much because they’re still little and you know, it’s not like they were going to school on a regular basis. And then they had to do online learning which affected a lot of children but I feel like core older and know the difference. Yeah, young they kept going to daycare so it didn’t really you know, affect them that much.

Victoria shearn 19:36
And so, do you was like once you had children was your main not your main goal, but like, Did you purposely prioritize making sure that they also had like a strong connection with your rich Russian culture?

Anastasia 19:53
Yeah, I mean, I guess culture. Yeah, some aspects of it but muscle language Yeah, for me a to kind of like, why not like if I can teach them language especially like because, you know, kids learn best when they little, it’s like, it’s they’ll just learn it, they just absorb any language you teach them. So it’s not an, you know, an effort and a lot of work on their part to like learn the language, you know, versus like learning it later in life, but it is a lot of work. So they learn it naturally and when rob them off of that opportunity. So I just, you know, I decided to teach them. And the second why the second part, why because my parents speak Russian, they don’t they speak English, but this much, you know, in order to communicate to their grandparents, you know, they need the language. So it was that part was also important.

Victoria shearn 20:48
So, with your family back home in Russia, how often do you get to see them? Or how do visas or visiting rights work?

Anastasia 21:00
Ah, up until recently worked well, right. Yeah. So typically, my parents come like, once a year, and stay with us for a few weeks. So, you know, we get to see each other that way, you know, plus, I went to Russia a few times, on my own, and then I went with my husband before we had kids. So just to kind of like, show him, you know, introduce him to, you know, the country, the culture. And then right now, like, they don’t give faces right now. So my parents are definitely very concerned. Because right now, there’s so many political games when they closing the Russian embassies in America, and then they close US embassies in Russia, so you can’t even apply for a visa. It’s really disheartening, you know, so it’s a mess. Oh, yeah. There will be some resolution. But as of right now, it’s looking really bleak. You know,

Victoria shearn 22:00
when was the so you said a couple years ago was the last time that you saw you know, the

Anastasia 22:06
well? Yes. Well, they there was a two year gap because of COVID. So they they didn’t they they were not able to come here for two years. But then now everything that opened up again, they were here in like October November, so they left like recently.

Victoria shearn 22:23
That’s nice. So they can come temporarily, just not Vidya Yeah,

Anastasia 22:27
so they can like right back each time they need to get a visa so so they they’ve been getting like a three year visa. So within this three years, they can come and go as they please don’t stay more than six months. But their visa is running out in like March. So like they’re concerned, like what’s going to happen afterwards, because as of right now, they’re not giving out new visas.

Victoria shearn 22:50
Um, so within like the school system, and like raising, I guess your children are very young. But have you noticed any other kids that are bilingual? Or do you live like near a Russian community? And has that kind of going with the whole integration process for them?

Anastasia 23:13
So you concerning your questions, like how do you think bilingual children fare in a schooling system here in the US?

Victoria shearn 23:20
Um, yeah. And just kind of have your children like, do you think they feel kind of singled out knowing two languages? Or do you think that they just don’t even process what’s going on at that point?

Anastasia 23:36
Well, right now they’re like to enforce so they go to daycare. They’re very young, middle school yet. And they do go to like a bilingual daycare that teaches them Russian and English. I definitely purposely picked that. So they get Ling language, not just from me, but from the daycare, because, you know, they’re there eight hours a day. So, you know, rehearsing the language is important. So right now, like this big both blank, like they speak both languages, because, you know, like, they speak they say something in Russian to me, then turn around to my husband and say, If, obviously, he didn’t understand what I said first. So they literally say the same thing in English. They kind of like learn that switch, like, who knows what language that’s really interesting. And they Yeah, they immediately like kind of like switch even like my two year old started doing that. Four year old understands, like the differences between who understands what the two year old like to kind of like learn some words in English some words in Russian so sometimes, you know, when she’s saying things like, she mixes everything up. Like what does that mean? Like what? So and then like, I can see her like switching now more when she sees that he’s not understanding. But as for future, you know, again, like, I’m not like raising them in that Russian culture. bubble that is like, they don’t know any any other way. Like, I feel we are pretty modern and kind of open. So I don’t see a problem with the, with them being Russian in terms of their further education because they will speak English just fine. In and unfortunately and I know from experience from seeing other children once they go to school, they just want to speak English to you to keep you know, to their friends and to each other. So I’m going to be the enforcer of home practicing. Yeah, I don’t be in a problem. Yeah, that’s good.

Victoria shearn 25:35
Um, know, how did the I kind of want to go back to after you graduated college? What was your immigration status? And how did like did you have to apply for a different visa or green card?

Anastasia 25:52
I mean, what like, while in school, like I had student visa, and for years, you know, because I did Community College first, then I transferred to a four year college. So I got my bachelor’s. And then yeah, and then like I had you because after you graduate, you can also apply for what’s it called, but like, basically, I work and work with for a year. So kind of like to apply your skills that you learn in college, they give you a like allowance for one year to work. The name of the visa work permit, I think you get a work permit. Yeah, so you get a work permit. So it was kind of, you know, keep keep doing the student visas and work permits, and then I got married. And so therefore, like I got, you know, my status through my marriage as a US citizen.

Victoria shearn 26:47
So kind of speaking of that, are you You said you got your status through marriage? As a you currently still like a dual citizen? And both here in Russia? Yeah. Yeah. And do you ever plan on making your kids also becoming dual citizens or

Anastasia 27:05
I would like that yet. So they can like mainly just so they can travel without an you know, requiring a new visa, because if they are Russian citizens, they just can go there, having their passports. And, you know, like, just don’t go through the hassle of getting these every time they need to go there. That’s basically my main goal. Why? Just so they can travel freely?

Victoria shearn 27:29
Here? Yeah. Do you think it was a problem, or more difficult for your husband, when both of you visited Russia, and you were a citizen, he was not.

Anastasia 27:41
Ah, well, he had Russian friends, like since high school. So he knows of the culture, you know, a lot of bad words from them, so. But, you know, he was just visiting and he was exploring just as I was, like, I feel like he had a certain expectations, and kind of, you know, been familiar with the culture already through through friends. And I think he liked it more than he expected it to. Just just, you know, the culture is so rich, and we visited like Moscow and St. Petersburg, which was, which are very different.

So he like that a lot. I think. I just interpreted everything.

Victoria shearn 28:32
So I guess I kind of have two more questions to wrap this up. So one would be what is something that you miss most about Russia that you wish you could kind of bring along with you in the United States?

Anastasia 28:48
Wow. What do I miss the most? I don’t, I guess the food skoki was really nice having her here. Both of my parents. Because she made all the meals, you know, that I’m so used to just kind of miss that aspect. And a funny thing, like, you know, been here for almost 20 years. Like, first time I you know, went to visit you know, I missed my family the most you know, like so it was so happy to see my grandparents because they were still alive. You know, my friends. And the city itself, like Moscow, like has developed so much. And like there’s like, it’s so nice and clean and beautiful and infrastructure. Like there’s so many new roads like is gorgeous. So I felt like I was like a tourist again, you know, like, like so many familiar spots are gone. There’s only new buildings everywhere. So I felt like you know, I was just I was I was like a tourist like, you know, admiring all the money or the beauty of it like the city itself. Plus, I was relatively young So I didn’t like explore the cities that much on my own when I was there, you know, just kind of main main parts. But then like, you know, just seeing it for for myself like years later and just seeing it so much more, you know, developed and more beautiful, like I felt, you know, like a like a, you know, a stranger in a city. But as of right now, I don’t know what I missed the most, I guess just just friends and people and food.

Victoria shearn 30:27
Yeah. That’s about right. I feel like that’s what most people have is the others. And then what’s that you wish more like native born citizens could know about immigrants that would help make other people’s lives easier?

Anastasia 30:47
The native born people in America, yes. For Americans not to know about immigrants. Oh. Like people, either people are either accepting of differences or they are not, you know, whether it’s national status, so our color of your skin, you know, or just sexual orientation, you know, people here in America are definitely a lot more open. So to all this changed, you know, the, you know, different people and individual differences, I would say then in Russia, it’s definitely still, I feel like, still very conservative. You know, Moscow is like, a different country, you know, like, Moscow is one thing, but then the rest of the country, I feel like it’s way a lot more conservative. So people are kind of, like, very set in their ways. And, you know, they are not used to seeing and people being open about their, you know, a different experiences. So, like, there’s always that, that intolerance, I guess, like or like, of people who are like gay or, you know, yeah, well, they’re not used to seeing that many black people, you know, like, somewhere in dippin, you know, Siberia. So, and here, I don’t know, everybody has their own story. Everybody has their own, you know, don’t judge a book by its cover, you know, like I feel like people are pretty good in general, you know, because it is such a melting pot, there is so many different cultures and people from even if they like, you know, not maybe the people, maybe their relatives, their parents or grandparents came from different countries. So there’s still some connection and some, you know, understanding of different cultures and, you know, different expectations of things.

Victoria shearn 32:35
Yeah, I especially think that like, in specifically the Northeast, and like big cities like Philadelphia, that’s definitely more people are open minded, more often

Anastasia 32:49
than Right, right, I guess, because it’s a big city, because maybe somewhere like in the Midwest, maybe, you know, people are different, you know, somewhere different country, you know, they’re not maybe not used to seeing such a, you know, diversity as we have here in Philadelphia, because it’s such a big city.

Victoria shearn 33:08
And then, so I kind of just wanted to backtrack to one more thing. So you said your husband was Argentinian? Is he from Argentina? So did he have that his citizenship before you married him?

Anastasia 33:26
Yeah, so he came here when he was 14 with his family. Like his dad was kind of like transferred here from Argentina. So you know, so they got their paperwork and status right away. So then, you know, he became a citizen. So by the time we got married, he was already citizen at that point.

Victoria shearn 33:49
It’s very easy. And Is he also a dual citizen? Do you think that?

Anastasia 33:54
I don’t, I don’t think they allow that. I don’t think are seeing that like, yeah, I don’t think he to be honestly I’m not 100% Sure. I know. He was obviously the citizen of Argentina at some points before he came here to maintain that status. Yeah, I don’t think he renewed like he definitely did not renew his Argentinian password. Okay, in here. So I don’t know if it’s valid or not. And how does the dual citizen because not all the countries kind of like, allow that?

Victoria shearn 34:27
Yeah. It’s very interesting to see how that works and applying and especially with Russia and being on the bouts. It’s good thing that they still I feel like allow that especially for travel but definitely must come in handy very often. Yeah.

Anastasia 34:44
Yeah. Especially now with like, just closing down the embassies and just you have to make an appointment. You know, a couple months and a half ahead of time to kind of to come to the To apply for for visa or for passport or anything, so it just it’s a lengthy and time consuming and very inconvenient process.

Victoria shearn 35:09
Yeah, I guess it all adds up the long process makes for easier travel in between visas. But that’s all I wanted to know. Thank you so much for doing this. Sure.

Anastasia 35:24
Absolutely not a problem.

Victoria shearn 35:27
Great. Any final thoughts you want to add or anything that you feel you important that you want to share that you feel like you didn’t get to touch base on?

Anastasia 35:37
Oh, there’s about Russia, they, I feel like the main, you know, like theories that everybody drinks a lot can Where’s bears walking around? And you know, just people before like, crazy, but, you know, it’s it’s a modern country, you know, just obviously, not as maybe not as developed everywhere. You know, but there’s definitely like, nice people. So, they do like, what I, you know, notice the big difference here, people in the US usually, like, seem cheery and kind of like, you know, like, they see you on the street. They don’t know you. They don’t know you, but then like, Oh, Hi, how you doing? I’m like, first, like, why is he saying hello to me? This is so weird. Russia, people like kind of like have their preoccupations, they have their, you know, they need to do this and this and that. So they walk on the street, kind of like looking gloomy thinking about their things. And nobody’s saying, Hey, how are you? Oh, I like your shoes. Like, you know, nobody will ever say that. So it’s Fred. But then here, people are more friendly on a surface. But then it’s like you, you ask them something, they’re like, oh, yeah, like, I kind of didn’t mean that, like, you know, just backtrack from from their openness. But then Russian people like kind of, like gloomy looking, you know, and like seemed like burdened by their troubles. But like, once you get to know them, like, you know, they invite you to your, to their house, like they will give you everything they have, you know, like a very, like, the hospitality is like, important. Like, if you have a guest like you’ll give him your last thing, you know, like to make sure that guests are happy. It’s more like you got to dig deep like, and then you’re, you know, you’re you’re accepted. And you’re in versus here. It’s a little bit like, yeah, just kind of like friends on a surface versus you know, like being very connected. And

Victoria shearn 37:31
yeah, I definitely think that that’s true for at least America, that it’s very, like surface level relationships, as you were saying until you like smallmouth like, Yeah, I

Anastasia 37:46
do miss like having like, I mean, I don’t have friends here, obviously, but not on a deeper level. Like, I guess like, like I used to. Yeah, because I was young and growing up, like I had a best friend and we’re just together. I was still keep in touch. But again, it’s you know, you’re far away. It’s different.

Victoria shearn 38:04
Right? Have you ever, like met up with your best friend when you visited Russia? Or?

Anastasia 38:10
Oh, yeah, yeah. So that was like, my number one thing. Yes, it’s important to see like the family, you know, like the grandparents and uncles. But also, like a Hangout with some of my friends, which was like, really nice. Like, I felt like, you just pick up where you left off. Like, it was amazing. They’re always the best. And we get a lot of things happen, but you just like, but I know you like feel like that connection doesn’t go away.

Victoria shearn 38:38
Yeah, definitely.

Anastasia 38:41
So that’s kind of like what I felt like I was missing here, because, you know, you meet you meet people, and they have friends from high school, they have friends from colleges from from their childhood, like, I didn’t have that kind of those connections when I moved here, you know, like, I didn’t have that background history. Yeah. To rely on or, you know, like, I had to kind of like, meet new people, you know, make new connections, you know, somewhere long lasting. So we’re not, you know, but it was like, definitely, like not having that background or when when they refer to certain movies or shows, like, I didn’t know any of that, because, like, I didn’t grow up here. So like, that part was missing. Yeah, it is what it is the interview learn. But I’m definitely like, you know, like, I took a one day at the time, you know, I did not have a major goal of, you know, when I came here, so just kind of like, you know, let’s see what happens, you know, like, I went to school, like, it worked out, you know, like, I got my degree and, you know, met my husband, you know, so now it’s like, you know, half of my life has been here and it’s definitely more adult life. So like, a lot of things that I know like I don’t even I mean, obviously if I go back to Russia, I’ll I’ll be fine, but feels Weird, I guess, you know, I won’t go back and visit just so used to, you know, the way things are here. You know, I’m happy with my, you know, life and family that you know we’re working in Russia will be probably different.

Victoria shearn 40:17
I mean, you’re in completely different phases of your life. So I feel like that’s what makes sense is why it’s so different to Yeah, yeah. Well that’s so interesting. It’s very I really didn’t know much about Russia at all and hearing about Moscow and St. Petersburg seems really cool. They seem like really interesting places and fun places to go visit. Oh, for sure.

Anastasia 40:45
For sure. Like Moscow is just huge, like, in just No, like, it was huge from before, obviously, but now like, they’re even expanding it. And there’s so much new construction, like new skyscrapers, like they were not there when I was, you know, when I lived there. I’m like, wow, like, this is whole new city. And it’s definitely, you know, rich in history, and it’s just beautiful, like so different. So if you have a chance go visit.

Victoria shearn 41:14
May, I think? Definitely. Yeah, yeah. Well, thank you so much. That’s all I have for you. And thank you for sharing the personal details of your life. It means a lot to me. For you to do this.

Anastasia 41:31
-0Absolutely. No problem. Yeah, if you have any questions afterwards, or you’re like, Oh, I wish I ask you something. So please, reach out. Like yeah, it’s definitely well

Transcribed by https://otter.ai