Methods

On Sunday, November 28th, 2021, at 1 o’clock in the afternoon, I had done my interview with Dorothy using the software program Zoom. I did not know much about Dorothy’s past before doing this interview. I knew Dorothy because she is the mother of one of my good childhood friends. However, not knowing much about her past did make it nerve-racking and hard to create specific questions about her journey. Before we began the interview, I prepped her on what the interview process was going to look like, making me more confident. Although, I was still nervous for many reasons. One being, I am not an immigrant or even a 2ndgeneration immigrant, so I didn’t want to say anything incorrect and make her uncomfortable. Dorothy spoke openly which made this aspect of nerves disappear quickly. Also, I was anxious days leading up to this meeting because I had never conducted an interview before. Once the interview began, some of those nerves disappeared because of Dorothy’s welcoming demeanor.

Throughout the interview there weren’t many issues but when something went wrong, I was able to easily fix it. The Wi-Fi and connection were stable, which made the interview easy on the technology side. I made sure to be in a quiet area while in the Zoom meeting. However, there were some background noises that I didn’t notice until after, but they were unavoidable. Either way it went smoothly. There was one issue that occurred through Zoom, which caused the recording to sound a little off. After all, it worked out because I had recorded on my phone too. Once I finished the interview, I converted the file from m4a to an mp3, which was done simply by a free online converter. After that I transcribed the interview, I had gone through Emily’s directions to finish up the project.  

Life in Poland to Migration

Dorothy was born in Eastern Poland in the 1960’s. She lived in Poland until she was 20 years old and lived there while Poland was under Russian rule. During that time, Poland was a socialist country making life much different from life in America. Dorothy described this by saying:

“And my life looks very different than life looked here in America. Everything was controlled pretty much by Russian government, whatever we’re allowed to watch on TV, whatever was allowed to be taught in schools. So pretty much everything was controlled what we’re able to experience”

Life in Poland was difficult for her but luckily Dorothy grew up in a happy family and her dad was able to own a private business. Dorothy said, “only about 5% of Polish population was allowed to have private business.” She was grateful that her family was able to do certain things that others in Poland couldn’t at this time. She compared her life with her friends and realized that some of them had very difficult upbringings because of the circumstances they were put through. As you can see, there were many reasons for her to want to leave Poland and start a better life somewhere else. She experienced many push factors that led her to migrating to America. Once Poland wasn’t under Russian rule anymore, life continued to be difficult for Dorothy, her family, her friends, and everyone else living there at that time. Everyone’s lives in Poland were indescribably hard. Dorothy had a quote that put this fear that Polish citizens were feeling right into me:

“When you go to the stores, the shelves were empty, there was like, nothing, people had money, but they couldn’t buy anything with the money. So, life was pretty hard, you know, for most people”

After Dorothy experienced and lived these day-to-day hardships, she was yearning to find a better life. As we learned in class, social ties and networking are major reasons for people to immigrate. Dorothy first visited her aunt in America in 1989 with her father. At that period, she was being ‘pushed’ by Poland and at the same time was quickly ‘pulled’ in by America. Dorothy had come to New York when she was first arriving because of her aunt and other friends who resided there as well. She stayed in this area all her life because of the people and the welcoming feelings she had there. Many other Polish people and Italians were there who had shared experiences that made her want to stay as well. Once Dorothy arrived in America, she noticed the difference between life in Poland and life in America. She noticed how many opportunities there were for her and didn’t want to go home. In addition, many of her friends from Poland had immigrated at the same time she did, so she had many social ties to America. Next, her legality process of coming to America seemed to go smoothly. When Dorothy visited in 1989, she ended up staying for another six years. Dorothy loved being in America from the moment she got here and decided immediately that she didn’t want to go back to Poland. She then started to study and applied to college here in America. Once she got in, she was able to apply for a student visa, which allowed her to stay in America legally. Although there were many immigration acts being put into place while she was here in America, Dorothy was able to get by many of the laws with her student visa. In addition, while in college she had already met her current husband who also lived in America. In the end, Dorothy fell in love with America the moment she arrived and knew she wanted to stay. Her student visa and marriage allowed her to do so. As Dorothy experienced the troubles of Poland growing up, she was able to appreciate America for the different job, school, and social opportunities that it can provide. As you can see, there are many factors that led her to her immigrating and many factors that made her want to stay in America. Overall, her immigration process felt freeing, and it was so interesting to hear exactly how she made this journey and did it so smoothly.

Integration to Membership

As Dorothy began to live her life in America she had many different experiences with economic integration, reception, adapting, and more. Dorothy explained the different challenges she faces when adapting to her new lifestyle. When she first got to America, she did not speak English but since she knew she wanted to stay here she needed to learn. Interesting enough, the job she acquired was able to help her with this tremendously. Dorothy easily found a job close to home working as a nanny for a three-year-old boy. In the beginning, Dorothy described how it was difficult to communicate with the child. However, the parents she was working for got her an English tutor so she can learn the language easier. This forced her to learn very quickly, and Dorothy spoke about this experience:

“The family got me a tutor English tutor which the lady came to the house few times a week. She only spoke English. So, I was really forced to learn pretty fast with a tutor who only spoke English. And I have to say after two, three months, I was already picking up a lot of English.”

Although it sounds like it was easy, Dorothy put in the work to be able to integrate into her job and everyday life in America. She continued to study the English language and regretted not learning it while she was still living in Poland. In class we learned about integration and many of the stories we heard about from Dr. Trouville’s lectures were like her experience. It was difficult but with an ambitious attitude Dorothy was able to integrate into the new language. There was one memory Dorothy spoke about regarding learning the language that stuck out to me:

“When I tell my kids, they have hard time believing, but I was going to bed with a dictionary each night, studying about 20 words each night.”

For Dorothy, learning the language was probably the hardest part of integrating into American jobs, social life, and overall everyday living. When it comes to assimilating to the culture of America, she found this much easier than expected. Through class, we had learned about how each culture has different ways of life which makes it difficult to adjust to these differences. However, Dorothy explained to me how she found herself fitting in very easily. She didn’t find Polish culture to be much different than American culture. For example, she brought up the similarities of family life. The importance and dynamics of family are very much the same in Poland as in the United States. Dorothy suggested that maybe the reason why she didn’t want to go back to Poland and loved America so much was because she assimilated to the culture so easily. In addition, Dorothy loved America because of how welcoming everyone was when she first arrived and still are to this day. Her experience with reception was heartwarming and gave me hope that other immigrants felt this way too. Dorothy explained how she never felt discriminated against while living in America. Although some people would and still ask about her accent, but she doesn’t mind it. She said how some people get hurt when being asked about their accent, but she always lived with the accent and didn’t care when people would question it. As I spoke about before, Dorothy had many friends that were experiencing the same challenges with adapting, so she had people to go to when in need. Overall, Dorothy seems to love America and feels like she is American. She believes through the many years of living in America she has fully adapted to the culture, language, etc. Dorothy spoke about her feelings on being assimilated fully:

“You know, sometimes I think, would I ever want to go back and live in Poland now? And the answer is always no. I love to go back and visit you know; my family still lives there. I love them but as far as permanent moving live there, no, I love being here.”

Dorothy truly loves America and feels American because of her experiences here. However, she does have ties to Poland still for many reasons. Almost all her family still lives in Poland, and she stays connected to them and her culture. Dorothy spoke about how all the holidays she celebrated growing up have the same traditions and feelings as they do in America. She brings little pieces of her home country into her life in America to feel connected to home. By celebrating certain holidays and remembering her past she stays close to her routes. In addition, she tries to stay connected to family as best as possible:

“So, you know, the only thing like we tried to go to Poland, I tried to, you know, for the kids to see my parents and my sister every couple of years. It’s very important for me know that the kids are close with their cousins in Poland, which we’re planning trip again this summer. So, it’s very important for me, for the kids to know that they have Polish routes.”

Continuing and teaching her Polish routes to her children is very important to her. Passing down her experiences in Poland and the different traditions from her life there has been a big deal for her. Also, she really prides herself in visiting as much as possible. I remember her daughter went to Poland for months sometimes to see family and stay close to her mother’s routes. Also, Dorothy has strong feelings toward being a member of the U.S. society, economy, etc. The opportunities and hope America has brought to her life has motivated her to work hard and create a good life for her and her family. Dorothy has been able to appreciate everything about America and this has given her a positive mindset. Immigrants have taken a risk and are exposed to many hardships, which have taught them to have positive outlooks and motivation.

“They all love this country, and everybody is working hard to make the best life they can. And we always say that. We don’t understand why there are people who are unemployed, like if you want to find job here, you’ll always find a job. And I don’t know any immigrant who is unemployed. That’s the funny thing.”

Growing up in Poland at the time Dorothy did was difficult. Everything America has gave her makes her much more appreciative of it. Many people in America take for granted what we have, and U.S. citizens continue to complain about our country. However, Dorothy explains over and over how amazing living in America really is. She was able to see two different countries at two different times and noticed the freedom, opportunities, benefits, and more that America can provide. For that, Dorothy is grateful to be American and wouldn’t want it any other way.

Conclusion

Growing up, Dorothy says to be lucky for her family’s situation, but she still has faced many challenges throughout her life. From living in a Russian ruled Poland to immigrating all the way to America at a young age and starting a new life. Dorothy has overcame every obstacle and is able to love her life in America. She can appreciate America and all the opportunities it provides because of her upbringing. Dorothy has worked hard for what she has, and you can see that throughout the interview. Since her sister and other family members continued to live in Poland their whole lives, she can see how her life could have been different if she had never come to America. Although her sister has accomplished a lot and has lived a great life in Poland, there have been instances where living in America could’ve been better for her. Dorothy has realized this and is able to love America for the advancements in different areas. In the end, I am grateful to have the opportunity interview Dorothy and hear about her journey to America. Dorothy’s experiences have opened my eyes to so many new ideas about the world and immigration. In class we have learned different concepts and being able to apply them to a real story is educating.

Olivia 0:01 

Okay, got it. You’re ready?

Dorothy  0:06 

Yes.

Olivia 0:06 

Okay, awesome.

Dorothy  0:07 

Just hope I can answer all your questions.

Olivia  0:09 

I think you will. It’s they’re pretty basic. They’re just about your life almost.

Dorothy 0:13 

Okay.

Olivia  0:15 

All right, so you can just start by introducing yourself.

Dorothy  0:18 

Okay. Hi, my name is Dorothy Battiato. I live in Somers, New York. I don’t know what else. Yeah.

Olivia  0:31 

So, where were you born? And can you tell us a little bit about that place?

Dorothy 0:36 

Okay, I was born in a town called Augustowska, in eastern Poland. In the 1960s. As you know, we were under, quote, Soviet Soviet occupation. So I grew up in a socialist country. And my life looks very different than life looked here in America. Everything was controlled pretty much by Russian government, whatever we’re allowed to watch on TV, whatever was allowed to be taught in schools. So pretty much everything was controlled what we’re able to experience right.

Olivia  1:18 

So what was your What was it like being raised in Poland? Do you have any memories of your childhood?

Dorothy  1:27 

I mean, look, I love you know, my life. Like I grew up in wonderful family. I was very fortunate that my dad was allowed to have his private business, because only about 5% of Polish population was allowed to have private business. So he was entrapreneur. So my life was, you know, very good compared to other people that say, that you know, like comparing even to my friends years later, you know, thirty years later, when we talk about it, they had a very different experience growing up than I did. So

Olivia  2:08 

yeah, that’s, that’s pretty interesting. So what age did you move? And who did you immigrate with, to America?

Dorothy  2:15 

um, I was 20 years old when I came to America. And the reason why I came here, I didn’t plan to stay here, I came to visit my aunt, because after high school, I was trying to get to medical school. And I was pretty devastated because I missed the entry exam by one point. So my aunt who lived here in New York invited me to come for Christmas. So I actually came here with my dad to spend Christmas in New York. And the plan was that we’re going back home. But I came here in 89, in December of 89. And it’s almost like hard to describe the life in Poland in 89. When you go to the stores, the shelves were empty, there was like, nothing, people had money, but they couldn’t buy anything with the money. So life was pretty hard, you know, for most people. So when I came here to New York, and, you know, I saw how life is here. I told my dad that I don’t want to go back. So he was devastated little bit, but he’s like, okay, you can stay for a couple of months, you know, and then you come home. So I agreed to that. And I didn’t go back to Poland, until six years later, when I was already married. So that really wasn’t planned me staying here, just you know, life happens, right?

Olivia  3:34 

So then you ended up getting married. And that’s what got you to be able to come back to America or?

Dorothy  3:40 

actually no when I stay here. Like I knew I don’t want to go back to Poland. You know, I really want to make life here. So I learned English when when I came here and then speaking English. So I know I learned English first. Then I went to college and I study economics. And when I applied to college, I applied for student visa, so that I was able to legally stay here. And you know, so I knew once I graduated, I’m gonna stay here and then meanwhile, met my current husband so we got married. So after that, you know, like, that never even crossed my mind to like, move back home. Right? So yeah,

Olivia  4:24 

so and then what was it like adapting to the language and the social norms? Do you have any specific memories of challenges that you’re faced with the differences?

Dorothy  4:33 

It was hard in the beginning. When I first came here, like I said, I didn’t speak any English and now I want to stay here so I got a job working for a family taking care of their child. He was three years old, and you know it was hard to communicate with him but pretty much in the beginning, the family got me a tutor English tutor which the lady came to the house few times a week. She only spoke English. So I was really forced to learn pretty fast with a tutor who only spoke English. And I have to say after two, three months, I was already picking up a lot of English. And now when I tell my kids, they have hard time believing, but I was going to bed with a dictionary each night, studying about 20 words each night. So I have to say, after five, six months, I picked a lot of English. You know, I met my husband, I think six months after I arrived here, and I was already able to communicate. So I guess, you know, if you really want to learn, you can do it. And as far as assimilating to the culture, I have really a very easy time to, to fit right in. I don’t find Polish culture to be that different when it comes to like, you know, family life. You know, I met a lot of Italians in the beginning and a lot of Polish people. So our cultures were very similar. And they were already living here for many years. So I really fit right in.

Olivia  6:11 

That’s good. So and then, do you think that so you came here alone? Right? Or the next time you came? You must have came alone? So do you think that it was like you had any different experiences from other immigrants? Since you didn’t really have any, like, a lot of family here?

Dorothy 6:29 

Um, I mean, it really depends, like, you know, I have a lot of Polish friends who migrated here. And I guess, you know, if you migrate here with the family, with the older kids, I suppose it’s harder to assimilate. You know, it’s harder for older parents to learn English. What is it I was 20 years old. For me. Everything came pretty easy, I have to say. And maybe that’s why I never want to go back because I assimilate very quickly.

Olivia 7:05 

And then if you’re comfortable with answering this, do you have any memories of like discrimination when first arriving were people welcoming, or the opposite of that?

Dorothy  7:13 

People are very welcoming, really, like, when I hear some, you know, cases of discrimination. Like, I feel bad that some people had to go through that. But I have to say, like, everybody, we’re just welcoming. So, from the first days, I just loved being here. And, you know, I have to say, like, sometimes even when I’ve watched people say, Oh, where are you from? You have an accent? And you know some people take this as a form of discrimination I hear, But you know, I never look at it that way. You know, I know I have an accent. My kids telling me all the time. I have an accent that just something I live with. But I never thought, you know, people asking me about this was being discriminated against.

Olivia  7:59 

Yeah. And do you think that had something to do with where you reside? Like you think if you were somewhere else, it would have been different?

Dorothy  8:08 

Let me it’s really hard to tell. You know, I was in Westchester from the minute I arrived. I really can’t answer that, you know, maybe possibly.

Olivia  8:17 

Right. So why did you come to Westchester in in the first place? Why did you choose New York?

Dorothy 8:23  

Oh, that’s where my aunt is from when I came to visit my Aunt. And she’s actually in Dutchess County. When I started working for the family babysitting for the child, they lived in Westchester. So you know, I lived here for over 30 years. That’s when I first came pretty much.

Olivia  8:43 

So then once you settled in America after what what was it like with school work or kids or?

Dorothy  8:53 

Well, after I graduated from college, you know, I was already 28 Because it took me few years to learn English first. And I want to look for a job, but my husband was few years older. So he was already looking to have a family. So we decided that, you know, to have kids, so I really never got a job after college. I was 28 when you know, I graduated and a few months later, I had my first child. So we were living in New Rochelle at that time. And then you know, we had Caroline three years. Laters so when I was 31, we moved to Somers, Westchester as well. And we grew up here and I have to say like over here, the people were very welcoming. Part of it may be because kids went to school, you know, they started preschool here. I made a lot of friends. And the funny thing is, I didn’t even meet one Polish person living here. All my friends are Americans and, you know, I get along with them. I love them years later, we’re still friends. So I had very positive experience moving here.

Olivia  10:07 

And then how do you think that having this background has affected you positively today?

Dorothy  10:19 

Because I know how different life can be, I guess, and I appreciate the things that we have in this country. You know, sometimes I hear people complaining about life in America. And I think that they have no idea what they’re talking about. Because, you know, growing up in the communist Poland, life could be really bad, you know, depends what family you grew up in. And I have, you know, friends who live here in New York, and we talk about this all the time, some of my friends in there, remember this, they had meat, like, once a week, because life was so bad, there were so poor growing up. You know, we grew up here in Westchester, like, you know, if you willing to work, you can have a pretty decent life. And so, yeah, and you know, and also like, it’s, I don’t know, if not your interested in that or not, but like, even that health uh, health insurance here, you know, people complain all the time, how expensive it is, you know, how you cannot get some things. When I think how things are in Poland. I always say people really don’t realize how lucky they are, they have access to the best health care in the world. And some people still complain here. So I guess it just gave me a different perspective. I appreciate more things that we have here, I suppose versus some people who can compare how different it could be.

Olivia 11:50 

Right. And then do you think you have fully assimilated to the American culture?

Dorothy  11:55 

I think so. You know, sometimes I think, would I ever want to go back and live in Poland now? And the answer is always no. I love to go back and visit you know, my family still lives there. I love them but as far as permanent moving live there, no, I love being here.

Olivia  12:14 

Yeah. And that’s what I was gonna ask next. Are you happy that you migrated to America? Or do you wish you had gone to somewhere else, but

Dorothy  12:21 

I’m very happy. You know, the only thing is, this is really funny. Like I said, the climate. I probably wish I moved to Florida. A little bit warmer versus New York. But no, I have no regrets. Absolutely not. I guess the only regret you know. And again, that really was option only later on. I wish I learned English in Poland. You know, we had to study Russian, like I had to take Russian for eight years. And I had the option of second language, which I took a German in high school for four years, knowing what I know now. I wish I took English. So my start here would be much quicker, I guess.

Olivia  13:02 

Yeah. And then while while trying to adapt to this new life in America, in what ways do you celebrate or stay close to your life in Poland or your background?

Dorothy  13:15 

Well, I mean, you know, again, I’m my husband’s Catholic. So we are a Catholic family and I grew up in Poland, Catholic family. So pretty much all the holidays that we celebrate. I feel like I grew up celebrating the same holiday. So, in that aspect my life doesn’t change. You know, a lot. I feel like the upbringing I had in Poland. I continue that here. So, you know, the only thing like we tried to go to Poland, I tried to, you know, for the kids to see my parents and my sister every couple of years. It’s very important for me know that the kids are close with their cousins in Poland, which we’re planning trip again this summer. So it’s very important for me, for the kids to know that they have Polish routes.

Olivia  14:09 

How is so a lot of your family stayed in Poland? I’m guessing.

Dorothy  14:13 

Yeah. All my family. I only have a one. So yeah.

Olivia  14:17 

So how did that how do you think that your life has been different from theirs since moving to America?

Dorothy  14:26 

How different. I guess we have more options here. I would say. Um, I think life it’s easier in many ways. We can afford more things than people can there and I was comparing myself to my sister you know when. she has very good life there as well. She She graduated from law school. Has husband had a great job. But just to give you an example, you know, my brother in law, he was 42 years old. He got sick, he had the sinus cancer. And unfortunately, there was no help for him over there. The healthcare system is just filled. So behind, you know, we have here. So when you know when you think about things like that, like I appreciate every single day, I’m here because we have access to the best mentors in the world, and they see what’s going on in my own family there.

Olivia  15:23 

Right. And it’s still like, even how bad it was back then it’s still, it still has some like issues today in Poland.

Dorothy  15:31 

I mean, look at Poland, you know, it’s not under Russian control anymore. So things have changed tremendously. Life, it’s very different, but still being under Russian occupation for 11 or 16 years, it took toll, it’s gonna take many, many years, you know, for everything to get how people would like to be. It’s like I said, it’s much better than was 30 years ago, but still, you’re still in the Eastern Bloc. So it’s gonna take a while.

Olivia  16:05 

And then what do you wish people knew about immigration or just immigrants as a whole?

Dorothy  16:13 

I guess the first thing that for us to move here, we love America. And that’s what I’m finding, talking to my friends. I have a lot of friends, you know, Polish people, most mostly for all some Italian who migrated here. They all love this country, and everybody is working hard to make the best life they can. And we always say that. We don’t understand why there are people who are unemployed, like if you want to find job here you’ll always find a job. And I don’t know any immigrant who is unemployed. That’s the funny thing.

Olivia  16:54 

Yeah, it seems like that people that actually live here are much more ungrateful for it then.

Dorothy  17:00 

I don’t want to say that you know, like, we really do appreciate having the opportunity living here So

Olivia  17:12 

alright, that’s perfect. Thank you so much.

Dorothy  17:14 

Anything else? I hope it’s good like I you know, I really don’t little surprise I didn’t know what to expect.

Olivia  17:21 

Perfect.