Going into this immigration project I was a tad nervous on deciding who I should interview and if I would be able to respectfully share their story that showed the ups and downs of immigrating to the United States. Technically, I am a third generation immigrant on my father’s side. His father was born in Canada and immigrated to the U.S as a teenager; my father never speaks about the hardships of having an immigrant parent, so I never had a clear understanding of what it was like. This course has taught me a lot about the ins and outs of immigration and I was excited to hear of someone’s real life experience for this project.

I decided to interview someone from my hometown, Luretha. We went to middle and high school together, but were never the closest of friends. We interviewed over zoom due to the fact that we go to different universities and at the beginning of the interview you could hear the nerves in my voice. Thankfully as the interview progressed, both of us eased into conversation and even got off topic a little bit reminiscing about our town and our friends back home. 

Luretha immigrated to Fredericksburg, Virginia from Liberia initially to live with her aunt (who she also calls her grandma and you will hear that in the interview) at the age of nine. She only stayed in Fredericksburg for ten days while her aunt was packing up to move to Richmond, Virginia. Her aunt and she moved to the Glen Allen area where she started fifth grade at Shady Grove Elementary school. 

Schooling was one of the main reasons Luretha’s parents wanted her to immigrate to the United States. When asked if she was nervous or liked elementary school at the beginning, Luretha said, “ I was very lucky. Everyone was very sweet to me. So, um, I think it was more of like, oh my gosh, you’re from a different country. That’s kind of cool. And as kids, you just like, want to learn things. I never had a bad experience. Like, luckily, I can say that everyone was sweet to me”. We spoke about how immigrating or just moving in general at a young age is so much easier. Children tend to be more inclusive and nicer than adults. She made friends easily and felt like she fit in well. 

English is Luretha’s first language so she has the upper hand over some other immigrants that move to the United States. In the city of Liberia where Luretha lived, English was spoken at a faster pace and pronunciation was a little different due to the accents. She got extra help at Shady Grove with a program called ESL which stands for “English as a Second Language”. Although the material was easy for her due to her already knowing English, she learned to pronounce certain words and slow down her talking so it could be more understandable to other Americans. American television was also very helpful for her, she said “Um, and just like watching TV. A lot of immigrants would say watching TV would help them just like, consume American culture and just how kids your age would be acting or stuff like that”. Television also gave her a sense of what America would be like before she immigrated. She watched shows on disney channel and became excited about her new American life. 

She found comfort in having another immigrant friend that went to our middle school named Tracy. They became quick friends by bonding over missing family and having similar backgrounds. Tracy had already moved from Ghana to another country before she came to America, so she was a pro in Luretha’s mind. Luretha and Tracy’s friend group expanded and Luretha didn’t think about missing home too much. She said overtime you can forget about what you are missing back home when you are creating a new life in America. Another person she became really close with was her cousin. Her cousin, who is often called a sister, was born in America. Luretha’s cousin often gave advice on how to act and be a true American, she stated “So growing up with her was definitely a lot of fun, because she was born in America, but she’s still African. So she was like, teaching me all these things. Like, “don’t say that. Like, we don’t say that.” I was like, okay”. At a younger age, Luretha was a little jealous about the fact that her cousin was a natural born citizen. The society you are in when you are growing up can make you think and act in a certain way, that’s what separated Luretha and her cousin in a sense. This reminded me of one of the seven stages of assimilation according to Milton Gordon; Acculturation is when newcomer immigrants adopt language, dress, and daily customs of their new country. 

In the area where Luretha and I grew up in, most of the community members are upper-middle class white Americans, so I really wanted to get a sense of what that was like for her. She spoke a lot about “blending in” so she wouldn’t stand out. Integration is a huge part of immigrating to a new country and sometimes people would call her “white washed” due to the fact that she didn’t act like the stereotypical African woman people often assume. Luretha stated, “I think that’s what happened was not all people, but like, especially with me, because when I first moved here, elementary school was mostly white, middle school mostly white high school, mostly white. So it’s like, you’re around white people, and you get sucked into their culture and how they do things”. She said that outside her house she lived an American life but stepping back into her home it was like “being back in Liberia”. She had the stereotypical immigrant parent conversations like, “you can’t have sleepovers” or “why are you wearing that? It’s too short”, she didn’t mind though because she knew Liberian culture was different from American culture. 

Luretha said that one of the biggest differences between Liberia and America is racism. Growing up in Liberia, she never saw or experienced racism. Summer of 2020 was a huge take off for the Black Lives Matter Movement and Luretha took those matters to heart. She had conversations with her friends explaining the fear and nerves of being black in America and how her family and her could one day be threatened. We also spoke about politics and how that can affect certain American’s daily lives. She said, “Caucasian would be like, my best friend is Republican, and I’m democratic. And we were like, we still love each other and everything like that. And I think they’re like two reasons. One, obviously, like, if you find with people of color, you don’t really know you don’t care. But it doesn’t affect you to the point where it’s like, if if I vote for this person, I know my rights would be taken away”. She really saw that politics are a huge driving force in America and how that can affect minorities. She continues to surround herself with people that share the same beliefs, but doesn’t stray away from others that have different opinions. We agreed that if people listened to each other’s sides and were respectful about each opinion there wouldn’t be much of an argument. 

We got onto the discussion about schooling, a main factor for many to immigrate, and she spoke about the hardships her aunt and father had having to do different jobs in America because of their degrees. Luretha’s aunt went to university in Liberia to become a doctor and was a doctor there for a couple years. It was difficult when her aunt moved to America because they didn’t take her degree seriously, so she had to go back to study. Since then, she has been a doctor and does check ups on people. Luretha’s father was an engineer back in Liberia and when he came to America he couldn’t do the job he loved so much. One of the main issues was money for schooling, she stated, “So like, he has to do like a regular job that doesn’t really require a degree. So that’s the problem. And school is so expensive, and he’s like, a bit older. So it’s like, what’s the point? Yeah, you can’t afford it too much”. In class we spoke about the context of reception and how it creates barriers for integration. Socioeconomic and class can create major barriers when immigrating, and when jobs in the United States don’t believe how serious a degree is from another country, immigrants may not get jobs they were trained to do. 

Luretha attends George Mason University and is studying to be a doctor. She wanted to make her aunt proud but is doing it in her own way. She plans to work with Doctors Without Borders after graduation. She explained to me the reasoning behind why; she wants to travel and help the less fortunate countries that do not have good medical care. Unfortunately, Luretha’s brother passed away in the hospital because medical care wasn’t the best and is the motivation she uses when studying. When she settles down and has a family she wants them to go to school in America and hopefully after move back to Liberia to help with medical care. 

Luretha got her American citizenship in the summer of 2020. She applied in January of 2019 and it kept getting pushed back due to COVID-19. She was given a set of 100 questions to study from and she said she loved preparing because she loves history. I asked if she was ever nervous and her reply was “My officer was so friendly and so kind. There was one question, I think I was like, overthinking, like, you know, and then he, like, read the question again, I was like, Oh, I see.” 

Luretha is ecstatic to be an American citizen. I could tell that she really loves this country and wants to be a part of the changes our nation is going through. Although she will always have Liberia in her heart, I believe she calls America her new home.

Lexi: Okay, I’m Lexi Huntley, and I’m here with Luretha to talk about her immigration story. Okay. So where did you immigrate from? And how old were you?

Luretha: I immigrated from Liberia. And I was about to turn nine in September. And then I moved here in November, so I was just nine years old. 

Lexi: Okay, so were you. Um, Did you move to Richmond, or were you somewhere else? 

Luretha: No. So when I first came, I moved in with my aunt. Oh, my grandma. So if I’m switching like with Auntie and grandma and the story, that’s why. (They are the same person)  And we first moved to Fredericksburg for less than 10 days, and she was in the process of moving because she knew I was coming. And then we moved to I think it was like, somewhere in Richmond, but I was like, I forgot the name of the neighborhood, but we’re only there for like, three months. And then we moved to Henrico to start fifth grade. 

Lexi: Okay. Um, so what was your like, initial feeling about, like, I guess, Virginia in general. And then like, how did you? I guess, how was it different from Liberia? 

Luretha: Um, so I didn’t know there were states in America. I just knew I was coming to America. And so necessarily, I mean like, I didn’t know I was coming to Virginia. Yeah, just like, I’m coming to America. I was excited for like, new life. And just like I read so many books, like children’s books about what life in America was like, at six o’clock, the kids were getting ready to go on the bus, and like, have breakfast and everything. So excited for that. I just thought it was really cold when I first came. So that was like, my first impression, because I came in like November.

Lexi: Okay, so like, really cold. So you’re actually excited about, like, coming to? 

Luretha: Yeah, very much. 

Lexi: Okay. Cuz I know, like, some people, they feel like, scared, or I mean, I guess cuz you’re so young. It’s a little different. But yeah, it’s like, I mean, that’s good, that you’re really excited and everything. 

Luretha: I think, um, it was, the only scary part is like leaving my family. But I think I was just like, focusing more on the happy side at the time. It’s like “ahh America” its like heaven so I was excited. 

Lexi: Um, so why did your family decide to move to the United States?

Luretha: Um, so I came by myself. I was like actually with  my cousin, we came together to live with my aunt. And so my parents decided to send me to America just for like a better education, and more opportunities here. So that was like, the main reason why I came. 

Lexi: Okay. And then I know, you said, you’re like living with your aunt and your grandma as well. Did any of your other family members come into the United States later? 

Luretha: Yes. So my aunt is actually my grandma. So it’s like one person. I know. It’s weird. Um, so she let all of us literally stay with her. And she takes care of us. So I was the first one to come with my cousin. And then he left. He was a bit older than me. So when he got to his feet, he was able to move out and get his job. And then a few years later, two of my other cousins came. They’re now out of the house. They have jobs. So it’s kind of very nice. What she does for all of us. 

Lexi:Yeah, that’s nice. Um, do you miss your family back home? And do you ever go to visit I don’t know, with like, COVID and everything. But before?

Luretha: So when I first came in 2010, I would always like speak to my family on the over the phone. But I’ve never been back. So it takes a while to like, leave the country. So when you come to America, you have to get your green card. And like you have to spend a few I think your green card comes like really quickly. But you have to spend like a few years here to become a citizen. So if you like leave, it jeopardizes you have to like restart the years. So I never left but I think I’m planning on finally going back before, actually, I want to go after I graduate college. So in like a year and a half. 

Lexi: And then did any of your family ever, like visit you here? Or? 

Luretha: Yeah, um, so I’ve had two uncles come to America for the first time and then my dad came in 2016 and then left and then came back I think in 2017 to live here forever. 

Lexi: Okay, so um, is he still living in Richmond? Or? 

Luretha: Yes, he is. 

Lexi: I mean, that’s, that’s kind of crazy that you like haven’t been back.

Luretha: I know. 

Lexi: Do I miss it? 

Luretha: Yeah. Oh, definitely. But it’s also, um, it’s also weird too, because I think when I came here very young, I’ve spent more years here than I have in Liberia. So it’s like, even though I always love it, I feel like this is also my home. And like, I had my friends here, and I have my family here, too. But my mom is still back home. So it’s like, oh, I always miss it. But I just feel different. Because it’s like, oh, you have a life here? Yeah. So it’s weird.

Lexi:. So like, you think, I guess, um, if your family was like, all here in the United States, it would like you wouldn’t miss Liberia or… 

Luretha: Not too much. But like, obviously, I’ve always  love my home country and everything. But it’s like different if your family’s here. And then you started like, in your life, it’ll all be in the back of your head. But it’s like, you’re too busy with different things and actually living your life to care too much. But it’s like you’re always love it. . 

Lexi: Yeah. Awesome. Um, what was it like in Liberia? What did the culture look like? environment. 

Luretha: So um, there are just a lot of different languages. So like English is spoken, usually in the city. And then there are different counties like Henrico County, like all those counties they have in the States. And so instead of having states, there are  counties. So I’m from Nimba County, but I wasn’t born there. I was born in the city. Both of my parents are from there, and the Speak mana, but they never taught me because I was in the city. And they’re like, you’re never going to use it. I would rather you learn English, which I regret. But it wasn’t my decision. And schooling is very different compared to America. One huge fact is that teachers are allowed to hit students, compared to the U.S. I was very surprised when I came, I was like, oh, like you guys are not allowed to hit us. And I definitely feel like the culture is  so different. A lot of walking, like my parents had cars and like they would drive to school, but I just prefer like walking the distance and you mature faster. I think just because your parents are at work. And you started to pick up on the house tasks at a young age in your seen as being more responsible. I think that’s like, the big differences. I think. 

Lexi: Yeah. So like, I know you said you thought it was cold  in the United States when we first got here. Like, with the environment and everything. I mean, I’ve never been there or seen pictures. So it was like, hot environment. Like, I’m trying to think of the word. But… 

Luretha: Yeah, so we had it’s like two seasons. It’s called the rainy season and dry season. So it’s all but some summers in America is like way hotter than Liberia because like the humidity. And so it was like, maybe June, like June to August or something I forgot. I haven’t been in a while. It’s like raining and like a lot of storms. But it’s kind of still like hot and warm. We’d never had snow. But like way back then. And like the mountains like though the snow but I never saw snow. So I was just very surprised and like freezing when I entered because I didn’t bring a jacket. 

Lexi: Oh my gosh. So you said you lived in like the city in Liberia? Was it kind of like how like a normal city looks how it’s like skyscrapers like buildings or? 

Luretha: No. So unfortunately, Liberia is a developing nation. And they had two civil wars. I think starting in the early 90s, and then the second one ended in 2003. And so there’s a lot of destruction. The country was just one of the reasons why my parents wanted me to leave. Because before then like the country was doing a little better. But with the civil war there literally still bullet shots, like in the schools, like if you go to some schools. Um so the city was beautiful. There weren’t any skyscrapers.

We had like, I don’t know if you seen any third world country like City View. Oh, there’s just so many cars and motorcycles and people walking and people selling stuff on the street, which I think is really nice, because you can stay in your car and be like “oh, can I get gum” then you pay them. So it’s definitely not like New York at all. But it’s so pretty to me. 

Lexi: Yeah. I like speaking of like, cars and everything I went to Cuba with my family for like, I mean, we were on a cruise. So we could only go there for a day and like, kind of the same thing. They had a lot of old fashion cars and like, a lot of people walking, so I guess like, kind of the same idea-ish? I thought it was really pretty. I mean, I think it’s cool everything and stuff like that, how it’s like very different from the United States and just kind of like where we grew up, in general. Um, did you have any expectations when you came to the United States like for schooling and everything? 

Luretha: Um, I think no, just because I was so young, and I was just like, ah, America, like, I wasn’t really thinking too much about school even though it was the reason why my parents sent me. Um, I think I maybe I just brought all my ideas of like my schooling back in Liberia to America, and it was so different, like, in the mornings, we had to stand outside. And while we say the Pledge of Allegiance, I think the JROTC like raises the flag. But then all the students are outside, like, they’ll pick one student to raise a lot you say the Pledge of Allegiance. And then we sing our national anthem. We have uniforms. I know there are some schools in America that do wear uniforms, but all schools wear uniforms back home. So that was very surprising. To wear color clothes. That’s what we call it every single day. And then the teachers are the ones who leave the classroom. Because I know our school. Like once the bell rings, students get up and go to the next classrooms, but you sit in the same classroom all day, and the teachers are the ones who leave. But then once the teacher enters, everyone has to stand up and greet them. So I was like, in like fourth grade, I was like, are we not gonna greet the teacher? So you like stand up and greet them. And then they’re like, Good, how are you and they like you can sit down. So they’re just like culturally different aspects of school. And then I think English was my first language. But then I spoke fast, because of the way we spoke back home. And then I also had an accent. So it was really hard for me to understand American English. And then, like, just start school right away. And so at first my grades were rocky, and like some subjects that require me to just listen to the teacher. But because I came very, very young, it was so easy for me to adapt in like three months, compared to adults who come in, you’re not like hanging out with other kids your age, so that you can easily adapt to it. 

Lexi: Yeah, I know. Like, I mean, especially in like, kind of everything how I mean, at least where we were from. In Henrico there wasn’t a lot of how you said, like, you couldn’t understand this, like teachers at first, or they couldn’t understand you. I think now, more so like, I guess, in elementary schools, because there’s a lot of like, immigration from, like India and stuff like that. I don’t know if they still like if they are starting to like, kind of get more involved in kind of helping immigrant students like, adapt more. 

Luretha: Oh, yeah. So I don’t know if you knew this, but so every school has, like an ESL program. 

Lexi:Yes, yes. 

Luretha: Yeah, English as a second language. So I was put in that when I came to twin hickory. Um, and so it was like, almost like, it’s weird, because it’s like, you feel like a baby because you’re like, literally like, what you guys when we were babies as well, we had to go through and I kind of felt like I was like, Okay, I already know, English, I just like need to work on my accent and make sure that I slow down when I talk. Um, and like, a certain way I would pronounce certain English words, we’ve heard correctly, my country’s like, wrong in America. Um, so it was like a fun way to get out of class. But it’s, it was very helpful in learning different ways and different things the Americans do. 

Lexi: Okay. Um, so ECL was like, the only thing that helped you?

Luretha:  So also my grandma would like go to the library and give me phonics like little baby videos. And we watch it. Um, and just like watching TV. A lot of immigrants would say watching TV  would help them just like, consume American culture and just how kids your age would be acting or stuff like that. 

Lexi: Um, did you feel like, I guess in elementary school because that’s when we came here? Did you feel like you were acting differently than the other students? Or did you feel kind of weird being there? Or anything like that? 

Luretha: I will say, I was very lucky. Everyone was very sweet to me. So, um, I think it was more of like, oh my gosh, from a different country. That’s kind of cool. And as kids, you just like, want to learn things. I never had a bad experience. Like, luckily, I can say that everyone was sweet to me. And yeah, I think that’s it. It was really nice. 

Lexi: Yeah. Yeah, I feel like, especially in elementary school, I feel like it can be kind of easier to make new friends. Because I feel like in elementary school, you’re like, Oh, do you want to be friends? Like, if you came in middle school or in high school, it’s a very different environment and kinda more like: No, I don’t want to be friends with you. Like, you’re, like group like, blah, blah. So like, elementary school is like, kind of the greatest time to like, move around, or just anything? 

Luretha: Yeah, sure. Um, I mean, I guess the only thing I was insecure about is the way I talk. And it like follows me even now.  I’m not too insecure. I just don’t like speaking too much. Just because if I don’t sit and think about it. My accent or like, the way I originally spoke, always wants to come out. And like, think about it like don’t pronounce this word wrong. And like, you just start overthinking everything. So that was like, the only thing I was insecure about. But people are like, Oh, I like your accent. I’m like, thank you. 

Lexi: Um, did anybody make the transformation easier when you first came? 

Luretha: Yes. Um, so my grandma OR my aunt has a daughter. And she’s like  40 something now. And she also had a kid. Um, I now call her daughter, who’s my cousin, my sister. And so they lived in Tennessee. So when I first came to moved here, like a year later, so that even though my daughter came here when she was 16, so she’s been in the American culture for a long time. So she knew that she could better help me instead of my grandma, who’s always working and stuff, like just taking care of me. So she made the sacrifice and moved from Tennessee with her daughter. And I’ve been here for like, almost eight years. And it definitely made it easier. Cuz it’s like, she’s like my second mom. And she gives me her advice. She went through high school. She came when she was 16. So she started high school unlike me when I was in fifth grade. So it was just like a lot of advice from her. That would have been I wouldn’t have gotten from my grandma, because she never went to high school here. When she came, she was already a doctor. But she had to repeat some stuff, custom credits, and if you’re not from like, a Western country don’t really take your degrees really seriously. So yeah. 

Lexi: Well, that’s awesome. Like, how old is her daughter now? Or like, are y’all still really close? 

Luretha: So she’s now a senior, she’s about to be 18. So we’re like two years apart. So growing up with her was definitely a lot of fun, because she was born in America, but she’s still African. So she was like, teaching me all these things. Like, “don’t say that. Like, we don’t say that.” I was like, okay. 

Lexi: That’s funny. So did you, I guess, um, I’ve heard some stories where it’s like, in a family one of the siblings is an immigrant, one of them was born in the United States. Did you feel any different from like your cousin? I guess? 

Luretha: Yeah, definitely in a way. I spoke like, just speaking as a lot different. And then also is the fact that she was born here. And the way she was taught at a young age, like affects how she portrays like her school life and everything. And I mean, like, when you guys are little, you’re watching Kai-u, you are like those little kids show that would teach you how to pronounce words properly. And you have, I guess, IPads. So like the younger kids, and the good practice stuff and play with technology, like Luckily, I was privileged enough. We have computers in our home, but not everyone had that. And I wasn’t like on the computer trying to type or learn watching like American shows. So I think sometimes I would get jealous, like, Oh, she had all of this growing up, and I wish I was like born here so that it was just like, normal  for me to not think about certain things differently.. 

Lexi: So um, yeah, that’s definitely like, I guess hard Um, I don’t know, like, I mean, I’m not an immigrant at all. I am the majority. So I can’t experience things like this. I’m trying to put my thoughts into words, but, um, I guess just like being jealous and everything. I just, I’ve never felt that and it’s just like, it’s just hard to hear and like, what you had to go through and everything. I don’t know, this sounds like stupid, but… 

Luretha:I really understand. Um, I was gonna ask you are there like, things you grew up with? Like, when you’re in little that helped with like, education? Like what shows? Like, did you watch your parents need to? 

Lexi: Um, so my parents, I feel like we’re very unconventional because they, I mean, they were like, 40 and 41 when I was born, and I’m older brothers that are like, I mean, now like, 27 and 26. So like, my parents are kinda like, done parenting when I was born. Um, I’m trying to think I mean, I watched like, I guess like a popular kids like little kid show. I think it was like, red bird or something, or no, no, something like peep. I don’t know. And then also, like, Clifford, the Big Red Dog, but I feel like I never watch educational shows. I know, like, especially now, um, I was a nanny last summer. And like, the parents would make like, the kids do, like all these workbooks and everything. And I’m like, Oh, my God, like, I didn’t have this. This is awesome. I mean, the kids hated doing it. But I’m like, This is gonna help you so much. Because I know in elementary school, I was really bad at reading and math.  I would have to do kinda like how ECL like, I would get out of class and like, yeah, so. Um, I feel like, I mean, I guess now because there are so many, like, learning tools and like, even from when we were children, so I feel like definitely the younger generation is way more educated than we are. And it’s only been like 10 years. Yeah. Yeah, I mean, like, with our iPads. I never had that we had, like, we had like this jank computer. Like, I went on iCarly.com and like, do anything educational at all. Um, but, um, with your grandma / aunt, you said she was studying to be a doctor? 

Luretha: Mm hmm. Um, so she went to medical school in Liberia and she was already a doctor.  So when she moved here, I think it was 1996 when she first came. She always tells us a story about how like, she came by herself. Like me, I had her to go to when she was stopping with friends. And she had a basically kind of restart her whole career and complete, I think maybe like a one more year of medical school, I think. So, it sucks because a lot of immigrants go through it, where they’ll complete higher education. But once you come to America, that degree is kind of worthless, like my dad was an engineer back in Liberia, and when he came to America, that’s, that’s worthless. And he can’t get an engineering job that he loves so much. So like, he has to do like a regular job that doesn’t really require a degree. So that’s the problem. And school is so expensive, and he’s like, a bit older. So it’s like, what’s the point? Yeah, you can’t afford it too much. 

Lexi: Um, so when you were living with your aunt, um, was she like a doctor? Was she working in a hospital? 

Luretha: Yeah, um, so she used to be a hospitalist. And then when I first came, she had to like switch from that she told me because I was like, why don’t you work you know, like a regular office hospitalist. Just like I had to stop this, you can, and I couldn’t leave you at the house by yourself in the night and go on calls and just rotation in the hospital. So she kind of calmed down with it. But she decided to just like a regular internalist like office. Not too much around the hospital, but like private office, and then patient will come see her for a regular checkup. And sometimes I go to work with her. So it’s really cool. 

Lexi: Oh, that’s nice. Are you um, and you’re going to George Mason, right? 

Luretha: Yeah. 

Lexi: Are you like studying? Do you want to like, take after her? 

Luretha: Yeah, like she did influence me. But I had to make sure that it was something that I wanted. And it wasn’t just because I want her to be proud of me because it’s so stressful. So I am studying to be a pediatrician, but I want to do Doctors Without Borders. So kinda like her, but I’ll be traveling.

Lexi:Yeah, no, that’s awesome. I like I mean, especially like with Doctors Without Borders, you get to travel the world. And I mean, I’m jealous about that’s, um, so arm you went Holman (middle school). 

Luretha: Yes, yeah.

Lexi:  Okay, so then Holman Middle School and Deep Run High School. How did you feel about those schools? Did you ever feel uncomfortable? Because I know, our middle school and high school where a majority of white students are privileged. In one of my classes, so I’m a Justice Studies major. And one of my professors, she’s a black woman. She’s a black feminist. She’s from New York City like Brooklyn, the Bronx. Sorry. And, um, she kind of just spoke about how I mean, I don’t I can’t understand it. Because, I mean, I also go to James Madison, where it’s a majority white never thing. So she was just talking about how, like, being the only black person and you also being an immigrant as well, how you can be the only person that looks like you in the room. Or because we didn’t have any minority teachers as well. I knew, like, deep run. 

Luretha: Yeah we only had like two black teachers and I don’t think we had any, like, it was one Asian. I think his name was Mr. Campbell. 

Lexi: Yes, Mr. Campbell. And then I had Miss Johnson. She was a Spanish teacher, but she was only there for a year. So like, and she was black. But that I mean, that was about it. Like, how did you feel about that? And everything

Luretha: Yeah, I’m definitely I think you’ve probably heard of this like white washed eople, I think that’s what happened was not all people, but like, especially with me, because when I first moved here, elementary school was mostly white, middle school mostly white high school, mostly white. So it’s like, you’re around white people, and you get sucked into their culture and how they do things. Um, so I don’t think maybe it’s like, I’m used to it. And if I came in, if I was 16, I would have been like, Oh my God, I don’t know this, but I kind of grew up like along with you guys. And we are all probably watching the same disney you’re like, on like, musically, so like, we all get the same cultural, like trends. So, like, I think if you blend in, it’s easier for you. But I also like, always knew, like, where I came from, and like, always, so like, stay true to myself. Um, and I think it’s just having someone to relate to that’s probably like the hardest part because, unfortunately, as much as like, I love everyone and like people have different backgrounds. If you don’t have friend group have the same background. It’s kind of hard to find someone who’s like, yeah, I get it. My parents are probably going to be so mad at me if I do this, because I was always jealous of people who like hung out every single weekend. I’m like, I wish I could relate. Unfortunately, I can’t hang out every single weekend. And then they’ll be like, oh, what in the other immigrants were like, Yeah, my parents won’t let me go to sleepovers. I had one sleepover. And that was when I first came. I know, shocking. When I first came to America, my grandma’s like, oh, it was like a church lady. And she invited me to her granddaughter’s, like, birthday party. And I think she wouldn’t allow me to go because I was so new, and it was like a church lady. never went to any sleepovers ever. So you have another group that’s like, yeah, my parents don’t let me go and be like, Oh, relatable. But um, I think that just probably needs to be more diversity. So People feel more comfortable in an environment and having people who can relate to them. And then also, it shouldn’t – having other people of different backgrounds to like, you guys look at the white people, helps you understand, like, why and where people come from. And like, if you have different political backgrounds or anything like that, you sit and understand, like, Oh, I see why you think this way. But if it’s just majority black people, you never get to go out of that bubble and learn something else. You’re just stuck with the same idea. So, yeah, it’s gonna be diverse instead of more white or more black. 

Lexi: Hmm. I mean, honestly, I hated sleepovers. I feel like you’re kind of lucky. I mean, I don’t know, like, Oh, my God, let’s have a sleepover. I’m like, Okay, I’ll stay late, and then I’ll get out. Or I’ll get my mom’s pick me up. Like, I can’t do this. But, um, people tend to gravitate towards people that are like them, that look like them. So that, I mean, so they feel like normal and being able to like, relate to one another. So did you have in middle school in high school? Did you have anybody that you gravitate towards, that had the same kind of background as you or something like that. 

Luretha:Um, so I met Tracy in sixth grade. And so she was from Ghana. And she had just moved here to like, we have very similar stories, she came to live with her aunt and uncle, my aunt. So definitely, like the similar background and her being like, two countries down for me. I was like, Okay, let’s be friends. We like talk about the same thing, like how we miss our like, parents, because at the time, my dad wasn’t here. And so it was definitely really great. Um, and then I also met Aza and Inina. And then like, we had a friend group, and it carry through high school. And then Gabby and Jessica. And so he says, Oh, she was mixed. She was half white, half Filipino. And then Gabby and Jessica were white. So it was a very diverse group. And then Inina is Indian. So it was good to see like every side of things and get to experience different cultures, because I feel like that’s like why America is like, so great. Like one group, you have so many different people, and it is so amazing. The Melting Pot!

Lexi: Did your friend group ever, like talk about any cultural differences? Like, I mean, whole friend group is white. So it’s like, Y’all kind of nothing. We we have, like, one person in the LGBT community. And that’s as much diversity as we have, which I mean, sucks, but like,

Luretha: I mean, it’s different because you guys probably formed your friendship back in middle school, and then like saying, our middle school wasn’t like, I feel like, it was me, Aza, Alana, and Tracey. I think those are like the four black girls I can think about in middle school, or like in our grade that I knew of.. Um, so it’s like, you didn’t have too much options, or you didn’t know like a lot of like people of color, and your friendships formed. I don’t think that’s a bad thing. And I think that’s where some people are like, Why is there diversity in this friend who wears this? It’s like, you don’t pick your friends based on color? Yeah, you don’t. Um, but with our friend group, especially when Black Lives Matter, was like, very heated, I think it was summer 2020. Aza was like I’m very shocked, like, you guys have to like, check up on us with everything going on. And it was a nice opening, like a conversation between all of us. And understanding. I think Jessica’s brother is like going into the police force. So obviously, I understand like, if I had a family member, it’s just like, your bias, or you’re like, Oh, I care about my brother, obviously, I want to support my brother, but it’s like you can support your brother and understand what’s going on. But if you don’t have a background understanding or somebody’s talking to you about why this is happening, you’re probably gonna be more bias and more understanding. So it was nice to just state their opinions. And it wasn’t like an argument which is more of like, okay, I get it, but here’s my point. Um, so it was nice to hear both sides. 

Lexi: That’s  good that like, I mean, y’all didn’t end up in an argument because, I mean, during that time, and also, just like anything else that’s going on in the world, like, half my friend group is Republican, some of them don’t care about politics, like, and then the other half of us is democratic. And so kind of just like during the election and stuff like that, we’re always, I mean, we’re not always getting into political debates, but like, I think it’s very, like, one sided in the sense that like, we aren’t the minority, so we cannot, like, we cannot like feel or like, feel what y’all are going through and like, and kind of just the whole white privilege thing of like, we, I mean, like, none of us have like white savior complexes, but we just kind of like doing whatever the majority can to, like, help y’all as well. And I think like, in our friend group, and stuff like that, some people don’t understand that and just kind of like, we’re just going in circles, and some of us are just like, alright, let’s just stop talking about this.

Luretha: I definitely understand because, um, there’s like, this debate, like, can you be friend to someone else who has a different political allegiance than you. And as always, the majority of the people who are, Caucasian would be like, my best friend is Republican, and I’m democratic. And we were like, we still love each other and everything like that. And I think they’re like two reasons. One, obviously, like, if you find with people of color, you don’t really know you don’t care. But it doesn’t affect you to the point where it’s like, if if I vote for this person, I know my rights would be taken away. It’s like, okay, I can do don’t look at that side, you just look at whatever aligns with you. So you’re able to be friends with that person. Because both of you guys are in like part of the LGBTQ community where people for this person, your rights would be taken away. So you don’t put that into perspective. And then, the other fact is that they’re just like, they have different backgrounds. And like your friend group, you guys, probably, when you talk about politics is never oh, this person is going to take away like Black Lives Matter. They don’t like the Native American stuff like that. Because you guys like aren’t of that culture and understanding. That like, it’s probably not on the back of your head. 24/7. So you don’t bring it up, obviously, you probably care about it. But it’s like, that’s not what you look at what you vote for people. And then also it’s like, family, like if your parents are Republican, you’re most likely gonna be Republican at a young age, because like, you’re not really looking too much, and you trust your parents. And I don’t think like, everyone should look at Republicans and Democrats as like, good and bad, like one side has been one side is bad, because I think it’s I don’t think we have political parties here. I know, this is a different topic than what we started with. But if they’re like, aspect that aligns with you, in some Republican, and you’re like, Okay, I’ll go for them this time, because our values are like, and then when you election, you’re like, I lie mostly Democrats on this side, because their values their thing, they vote for them. And so if you just stereotype everyone into one place, then it becomes like a broad, like, everyone’s just arguing, even though like, like, We’ve some Republicans don’t support each one. But then everyone’s like, I think Republicans and everything like that. So it’s definitely different. Because people look at different things differently based on religion, everything like that. So if everyone understood and we just like, listen to both sides, I don’t think we would have so much argument. And it was just be more respectful. 

Lexi: Mm hmm. Yeah. I mean, yeah, I definitely agree with you how it’s like, you’re kind of only looking at what will affect you. I mean, I also agree that like, the two party system needs to just stop but like, um, yeah, that definitely like, I guess, for you and like, being the minority and everything, like, it can definitely affect you with how your friends’ political beliefs, like align with you. And I mean, I guess like, the only thing that would really like affect me is like, the women’s rights movement, like so  I’m voting for something that will not take away my my rights but like, especially I’m take like a black feminist course. So it’s like them talking, like my professor talking about like, not only are you a woman, but you’re also a minority. And then if you’re a part of the LGBT community, like it’s all just coming at you at one thing, and it’s not just like one issue multiple issues. 

Luretha: And I think that’s really cool that you’re taking my class because then you like, leave with something like, oh, I never thought about it that way. Until you’re more understanding of what might happen in the regular life. So you’re like, Oh, you’re just speaking without understanding, like you’ve taken my class and you understanding that you can help your friends. I think, like, that’s really cool how you can immerse yourself in someone else’s culture. 

Lexi: I’m doing it the right way and not like cultural. Um, did you feel like in high school and stuff? Did you feel like there was cultural appropriation? Or? 

Luretha: Um, I can only think of like, this isn’t really a cultural appropriation, but I can only think of one instance. In our high school. I think it was the American theme football game, and like a confederate flag was brought. When I don’t think I’ve ever like, seen any like, thing that’s like, why are you doing that? Like anything? Maybe like the N-word being passed around a few times by like, like a group of people. And they’re like, oh, yeah, my black friends allowed me to say, and then I, I guess this is like, part of your interview or something like that. I necessarily, try not to comment on that. Even though I’m black. I’m still African. And I feel like African American and being African. They’re the same thing, but also different because they had to feel like a whole new culture. And they were the ones whose  words were mainly affected. So I was like, I don’t have too much say in like, who can say who can say like, I feel like that’s I’m leaving up to African Americans to decide that. Even though we’re both black, like. 

Lexi: Yeah, no, I mean, I understand. Did that like, I guess whenever, I mean, I know, the Confederate flag. Like, if I was black I feel so uncomfortable. But like, did you ever feel uncomfortable in like, in that sense, like school and everything?

Luretha: Not necessarily. I just think I’m, like I say like, just blending in. And I like it would have been like, most of the time. So like, I like Hector. He was black. And you always tell me he’s like, you’re like not black. And I was like, What do you mean I’m not black? And he’d say you’re so white washed. Even though it’s like, it seems like a bad thing and everything. But like you , when you have to blend in you have to blend in. And I don’t know, it seems like when people say that they’re like, Oh, you’re not black and you’re like yeah, it’s just like having a blend in so that you don’t stand out. It seems so bad. It’s like, but like, I was always true to myself. It was just like, This is what this is what I saw. And that’s why we went with. So for me, I wasn’t too uncomfortable. I was just like, cruising by. I enjoyed high school. I liked everyone. So and I never really heard the N-word like, said, I never had a said to me, but I’ve had, like, black students who would talk about it. And so that, like made me uncomfortable for them. But it never happened to me, but it’s still like, it could have happened to me. And I wonder what happened to me if I wasn’t like whitewash, or like if I like, I don’t know how to say it. But like, if I just didn’t blend in, like how would I’ve been treated? That’s interesting to think about. 

Lexi: Yeah, no, definitely. And I feel like with the whole whitewash thing, I mean, I, I’m like, trying to understand it. I feel like some people say that, like, when black people are whitewash it’s like, I guess maybe they aren’t. I don’t know if it’s gonna sound like rude or ignorant. Like, when they’re like, if they’re not, like speaking so like, 

Luretha: Oh, I see. They’re like speaking proper English. 

Lexi: Speaking proper English. I’m like, It’s not the reason why they’re whitewash because in, like, intelligent or something like, I mean, like, you can still be intelligent and like, speak, see, like, yeah. Or if people like, oh, you speak like white. What does that mean? Is it because they’re speaking like normally you’re like, I don’t I don’t know what that I guess. Do you think that’s why people are like, yeah, like, like you’re whitewashed. 

Luretha: I think it depends on Who is coming from? I think from Hector. He just meant it as like, I was quiet. I like he said, like, I’m not ghetto. And I was like, I I don’t understand what that means. And like, I just always got that in like Brittion Wilson. Like I guess I’m using her as an example to like, she talked to me about it. People call it Oreo, which is like black on the outside white on the inside. 

Lexi: Yeah, remember that in middle school. 

Luretha:  we were all like, in an environment where it was majority white. So that’s what we saw. That’s what we went along with. And it would be so different. And I feel like it’d be so different. If I grew up in like a majority black school. You follow the trends there. You’re blending, you’re technically blending in there, but it’s a majority black. So it’s like whatever. Like characterize it as, um, I think it just depends. And it’s not so bad like the way you said it to like, because I’m talking properly or anything like that, or the way you choose to carry yourself. You’re whitewashed, I just think  maybe we need to fix the definition like, and just like whatever wash or like, whatever it was, you want to call it just because you’re stuck in my environment. And like, you have to adapt to your environment or else like, if you stick out in that nature, you’re gonna die because the predator is gonna get to you. Yeah. So it’s, I don’t know, it’s, it’s weird to think about it that way, too. 

Lexi: Mm hmm. Um, so George Mason is it, i mean my brother went there, but is it like more diverse than it was a deep run or around the same?

Luretha: It’s definitely more diverse. I think it’s – my freshman year  I was so amazed. I was on the elevator. And like two people were speaking two different languages, like one was from Norway, and then I think the other was speaking French. And your floor has different people from different places. So I think it’s definitely way more diverse. And it’s cool to just learn different things. Like maybe you learn, like how to say hi in like a different language, because you’re like, Hey, can you give us a “hi: your language? I think it’s so cool. 

Lexi: Yeah, um, I, my brother wanted me to tour their senior year, because he went there, and he loved it so much. And I remember, um, I guess, like, your dining hall, or I don’t know what the name is. But I just remember seeing, like, all these different flags and everything like that, and I, and then at like, James Madison, it’s, it’s very much the same, like, I mean, the culture like around the town, it’s very, there’s been a lot of Latinization and everything. So like, going into the town, it’s very, like, very much diverse, but like, at the actual school, it’s very, like, I think it’s 70 something percent white. And like, a lot of the professors are white as well. So I mean, going to someplace like George Mason, I think would be awesome, just kind of like learning a bunch of different cultures, as well as like, being so close to DC as well. Like, you can learn so many things. 

Luretha: Um, and then, I guess, was another diversity part that’s like the LGBT community. I don’t think it was like, prominent in high school, but like, definitely, I guess, college is like a larger scale. So, like, I never knew too much about that. Like, when I was in Liberia, I didn’t know what being gay was. I guess it’s just more taboo. And Americans are kind of lucky that people can talk about those things openly and certain states allow you to love who you love, even though some are just very like against it and still persecute you in some type of way. But it was like, nice to learn more about like, where people come from and understanding how they’re treated based on who the love of what they choose to be folding stuff like that. Interesting. 

Lexi: Yeah, I know, in like, deep run with, like, the LGBT community. I feel like there was only like, I don’t know, like, a few to 10 Yeah, you go way maximum. So yeah, I guess in college as well just like, different experiences within, like, whether it’s their sexuality, their class, their race, like it’s just like, on a way larger scale, and you just get to and in like classes too, as well. Like you can learn about like you. There’s human sexuality classes, like, I mean, in my So, My Justice Studies major, it’s a lot of what we’re learning about like, race, class. Gender as well just kind of like so I get to learn a lot about like, how, like your race and your class, like affects how you live and like what the government does for them. Um, I think that’s very interesting and like, learning about that. And like, I mean, in our town, it’s a lot of upper middle class white people. So like going to college and learning about all of this, like, that I would have never gotten to experience in our hometown. And also, I moved to the Outer Banks as well. So it’s very much white Republican. Like, I mean, there are definitely different like classes, but it’s, I mean, it’s the same thing. 

Luretha: So I definitely, I see that, um, and apparently, that’s like, when they’re moving to places to look at the schools and everything like that. So I, my grandma, my grandma definitely did that. Like, there’s a reason why she picked the house that she picked. I went to the house with the pool. And she was like, No, we’re picking this house different is a great school, to integrate. Deep Run is a great school, Twin Hickory is a great school. And I think she picked a place she wanted me to grow up and be the best in the environment. Like, I felt so supported at Deep Run because like, everyone was so sweet and always want to help you with like homework and stuff like that. Teachers are supportive. So I thought it was a great environment that we grew up in. 

Lexi: Yeah, the teachers were definitely very amazing. And I mean, yeah, cuz where we were from I know, and different parts of Henrico, um, the funding isn’t as much as it is deep run, which is awful, but like, I guess for us, that’s like, a good thing. A good thing. But yeah. Um, so, um, is there any specific cultural traditions that you have continued while living in the United States? 

Luretha: Wow. Um, I can’t think of it right now. But like, there aren’t a lot of Liberians like where we are there. I feel like we still go to Liberian parties and like churches, or have like most librarians there and most Africans. But I, I don’t have a specific answer to your question. But in my home, it was still like, we’re in Africa, like so many librarians. So it’s like, nothing changed. Like, you will still get disciplined by being hit like most cultural people hit the children with discipline, but not of like, abusive. Yeah. Um, I like, like, summertime, we get really hot and I want to wear shorts. And then my dad be like, isn’t that a little bit too short, but I’m like, what is too short?  It’s not that short. And I’m just thinking like, oh my God, all my other friends are allowed to wear shorts like this and like this seemed to be a problem. Um, until like, the home was still like, it’s like when I stepped out I was in America when I stepped back in I was back in Liberia and like, what was allowed outside in America wouldn’t cut it in there. So I feel like holidays sincer there are probably already huge Liberians. We still celebrate our Independence Day on the 26th of July. So there’s like a soccer game and then we still eat our African food. Like rice a lot of rice. I was very shocked for my grandma’s like, you can’t eat rice for  breakfast all the time. I was like um, and so that’s like the good part because I was so scared that I wasn’t going to have my cultural food. Which is like a huge part of everyone like me now if I left America, like where are my fries and other things that are more American. So that definitely helped a lot because it just felt like I was still back home and I wasn’t 

Lexi: um, there’s not I mean, I’m trying to think so with your like culture and your food and everything. And that’s like a big part of anybody’s culture. Were there any restaurants around Richmond that had like, African food or no?

Luretha: So though, we got to like African foods and like the African grocery stores like few miles down broad street, and then I can’t not think of any African restaurants in Richmond but I’m pretty sure there are but I can’t like I never went to any like we went to some in New York and like DC but I don’t think I’ve been to any in Richmond you’re probably have to look at but an international markets was like different Asians for to encourage me to have African foods. And then I was like, shocked like Plantains I just didn’t know Americans had those like ate them. So like they’re at Food Lion and like food, like have the international places and like Trader Joe’s has a twist on like some African So I definitely you can find it somewhere. But then to actually get to like your neat and different stew to make it you have to go to like the African store. 

Lexi:Okay. Um. So you said, like churches and everything. Were you religious back in Liberia, and then has that carried over to the United States as well or? 

Luretha: Yeah, so my family and I, we practice Christianity, we just mostly went to the Methodist Church. And when I came to America, it was the same way. But I will say, um, and we talked about this in church in America and like a youth groups thing. This is not true for all Americans. But most Americans, the structure is just like work, work, work, we have to work to provide for your family. Back in Liberia on Sundays. No one really likes to work. So it’s just like, church. And we’ll be in church for like seven hours. And then you come home you eat, relax, but churches here like were one hour, mostly, which I guess is good. If you think about it, people have to go to work, after church or before church. And so that was like, the only difference that I can think about, like the churches and religion, but we still practice Christianity. I don’t go to church too much, especially with being on campus. And having like a church back home, and trying to find a church, but I still do like praying regularly. Religious stuff. 

Lexi: Um, so Methodist, did you go to Shady Grove United Methodist? Or did you just go to a different church here?

Luretha: Yeah, so as we moved, so when we were in the second location after Fredricksburg, I can not think of the name, but it was like, next to Mayberry Elementary School, which is part of Henrico county public school. So we’re still in this area. We went to the wellborn United Methodist Church. And then when we moved to like, twin hickory area, we still kind of went to that church, just we didn’t find we didn’t try to look and we liked it for a bit. And then after a few years of like, traveling 30 minutes to get to the church, my grandma looked at both United Methodist Church, and they’re very welcoming. So we started going there. 

Lexi:Yeah, um, me and my family went there for a little bit because my brother, like loved that church, and they’re very nice. I know. They have a new pastor now. But the old pastor, I cannot remember his name, but he was always so sweet. And like very welcoming. And nice.

Luretha: Yeah. So she now I met her at the dog park. And she’s like, Oh Luretha, and I was like oh I know you but forgot your name!

Lexi:  Yeah, um, I was trying to think, um, was there a certain moment that you notice the cultural and social views of the United States and Liberia? 

Luretha: Yes, I think definitely the whole black lives movement like opened my eyes to how life in America was for black people. And I think also, just because when you’re younger, to your parents, we don’t you’re watching the news too much. And you’re watching Disney. So that was hard to do with age. And then with Twitter and like technology, you get to see the real effects of how people are treated. And then also, like with the social views and new stuff in Liberia you’re with black people, African people who are black. And so there’s no racism. I mean, there might be like colorism, but I’ve never like experienced that. So you don’t get to see that. Like the only prejudices like stuff that you will see is if just like, if somebody was like in the LGBT community, which probably you wouldn’t find out unless to get caught with someone. I didn’t know what like divorce was, because it wasn’t really common. And then when I came to America, and I’m like, Oh, this is like, what being black you have to go through. And sometimes I was like, things I wish I wasn’t because I just don’t want to be treated like this. And you just have to think like that could be you? When you see in the news like, that could have been me like no matter how nice you are, and how like respectful you are, there is some people that can see a skin color, which really shouldn’t make a difference, but how they grew up. And if they’re like, all they’re trying to quote the Bible, like my skin in Superior and like, the way they look at things and all that, like the books that we read, like reinforce that in the head. And so it’s like hard to like, draw that person out of the way the thing, but it’s like, it’s not my fault. You just happen to be white, I happen to be black. You can’t control it. So you have to think about it all the time. And the way it plays into like getting a job. Like you don’t think about it, but it’s like people think about it all the time like and that’s what some people apply with. Like a whiter name, because they don’t want their name to be like screened out when they see a well qualified candidate. So it’s scary to think like, if I want to cure you and I could be qualified, but what if this person was wearing my application doesn’t think like a black person needs to be here in this view. So now you have to think about all of that. When you’re just living your normal life, like we walk on the street, this person gonna, like hold the purse closer to them, because the thing I’m trying to steal, even though like, I don’t need to steal anything from you, but it’s like, your stereotype of black person. It’s just like running through your head. It’s definitely different. And then also being like a black woman says, like, different. 

Lexi: Yeah, um, so I know, you said you want to be like Doctors Without Borders? Um, do you think like, kind of after you stop traveling? Do you think you’re going to stay in the United States? Or do you think you’re going to maybe move back to Liberia or just somewhere else in the world? 

Luretha: I’ve been thinking about this. And there’s a reason why people would criticize America, but like, probably wouldn’t move too much as just the freedom, like you all have here. All the rights that were given. And, like, you want to criticize things that you want to make better. It’s not like you hate the US. But I think I will still keep my kids here. And doctors without borders will be more active before I have like a family settled down. I want to be with children and disposable under developed nations or developing nations where they don’t have access to health care and just providing for them. And then once I have a family, I would try to speak in the US with like, places that don’t have too much access to health care, so that I’m not like leaving them too much. And I also want to bring my kids with me and travel so they can get to experience the world. If that means home to homeschooling them. Maybe that’s the case. But who knows what happened. And then I know, by the end of my life, I would definitely go back home, the whole goal with medicine is to go back home and teach or try to teach the upcoming like, Medic, medicine, people about different things I learned in the US because I don’t see the point of me, moving from my country coming here for the school, and not going back to like, teach what I learned and try to make a difference back home with the health care because my brother passed away. When he came, he was like living in Ghana. And then he came to Liberia, just to say bye because he knew he was about to die. And so I never got to see him on the day he came because I asked my mom was like, Can I stay home, she’s like, go to school, come back, we’ll be here. And then when they got to the hospital, like there’s nothing they could do. And so I was still in school, and so he passed away the same day. And it’s like, obviously, those doctors try the hardest, but the weren’t given the proper equipment to do the job. So it’s like, you could be the best. But if you’re lacking other things, you can’t really do your job properly. So that’s like one of the inspiration of medicine. So I definitely want to go back home. And my grandma’s trying to build a hospital back home. So I like kind of like motivated me to like actually get this degree so that I can work in the hospital or like once I’m older, my kids are like living their life nursing, I can go back home visit and work most bad. That’s the plan. I think I’ve been the US most of my life, like will still be traveling. 

Lexi: That’s like amazing. I’m sorry about like your brother and everything. Um, so, um, I remember our mutual friend Catherine Cox. Um, she was saying that. I guess in high school you were studying for the citizen test. Did you ever end up taking it? Are you an American citizen or?

Luretha: So I took my test in August of 2020. It wasn’t meant to live around the summer time. And it was COVID like the tip of the spoon and everything. So I originally applied December of 2019. And luckily, it was a lot quicker than I thought it would. And then I got my interview date, or do my biometrics in January interview was like in July and it kept getting pushed my little COVID. So I had nothing in July. And then once you interview, you have to start studying for your US citizenship test. And so it’s like you’re given 100 questions, and they’re just basic things you’ve had to learn like since elementary school like what was the first president and like name our founding fathers the state that was present. But then like, there were questions I was like, you really don’t think about your daily life, who’s your superintendent or like the district. People I know I looked at it’s like But it was fun studying for that, because I love history and everything like that. And so it’s actually fun for some people like American citizen were born here. And like, you kind of forget those things that you learned in elementary school. So take the citizenship test for fun, and they’re like, I don’t remember this. It’s fun to watch that. And then once you get to your interview, they’re asking you like, basic question, just to know that you actually want to be a citizen, like, Are you part of any terrorist group? I was like, Oh, do I like like, I was like, No, I’m not. And then like, what do you do like for fun? And like, what are your accomplishments? And then they’ll ask you 10 questions out of the 100 questions that you studied. And they’re like, my officer was so friendly and so kind. There was one question, I think I was like, overthinking, like, you know, and then he, like, read the question again, I was like, Oh, I see. And so once you pass, you have to get seven, right, I believe that you pass the citizenship test. And then you take your oath. Some people do the oath the same day, I was told it was like scheduled maybe like a few weeks later and had to go back. And you’re like, by usually, like, you’re in a court. And then your family members are sitting. And then you guys are like, in a different section. But it was just all the people who were actually became citizens. The families were outside because it’s COVID.

And I turned in my green card because I didn’t need it anymore since I am a citizen now.. So yep, officially, almost a year I’ve been a citizen. 

Lexi: Oh, my gosh, that’s so exciting. I feel like what like you said, how, like, not a lot of American citizens, like I think I’ve like done something online. And I’m like, I don’t know any of this like, and kind of just like people like debating. I mean, I don’t know if it’s like a fun debate or anything, but like, Should US citizens take the like, citizen test because I know half of US would probably fail it. Like, but yeah, that’s like, I mean, that’s amazing that you’re a US citizen. And I don’t know why, but I feel like I don’t like I guess I have this like thought in my head that, like, taking the test and everything would be so like, and the officers would be kind of like intimidating or cruel. But that’s awesome that you said your officer was like, nice and everything. 

Luretha: Yeah, he was very sweet. I think they just want you to feel comfortable. Because like, if you’re in like a very stressful environment, like everything you study, and luckily, too, um, it’s hard for people who don’t speak English originally to study for the exam. So I was more comfortable, because like, I’ve been here forever. I felt like I was already citizen at that point. So it was easier to carry a conversation and you’re not too scared, you might not understand what he’s trying to say to you. So those are definitely nice to feel comfortable and not too scared. 

Lexi: And, um, do you have any, like closing thoughts or anything just about like, your time in America, or? 

Luretha: Um, I know, like, sometimes I think I’m like, Oh, I wish I never came here. But that’s like earlier times. But as much as we can criticize America, it’s definitely like a great place to live. Every place has, its like pros and cons. But the opportunities everyone is given here. It’s so much better than like most places. Until I like enjoyed being here. Like making new friends. I always think I’m like, what if I stayed back home, like, I would have never met my friends and I can’t like imagine my life not being here. And just like getting to experience so many new things and meet different people of different backgrounds. And like, I was picturing like, my future, I’m like, I’m like so excited. But it’s only because I came to America. And they’re able to give me this opportunities. Like, they’re really like my dream life. So immigrating is fun, it’s scary, finding like a new place, but like once you get comfortable is like so it’s like a home. I met a  – she’s like one of my best friends. Now. Her name was Camilla, and I met her my senior year, she was a junior. And she I knew she was going to different country, interesting by herself. And I was like, I know what that feels like. And it’s so new to her. So I was like, Hey, you want to share with us like we became best friends. And she would like go through the same thing. I went through the beginning of like missing your family makes me your friends. And so like having someone to talk about that was like Tracy was like a person for me. I would talk to her. And I just told her like, in a few years. It’s gonna be so different because even though you had a life back home, it’s like, this is your new life. You don’t really think about it too much. It’s like the fact that you’re so distracted, you’re hanging out with your friends. You’re like enjoying life. And it’s moving so different and like now I can see that like, it’s been like a few years and she’s like enjoying her life and living your best life and she’s about to go to James Madison. Next semester. Sorry, her sophomore year, so it’s scary to move. But once you’re comfortable, you have like a support system. You’re just like this the best decision I ever made. Yeah. 

Lexi:Awesome. Well, um, I’m gonna end the recording, but just um, thank you so much for, like, just letting the interview and I was really interesting just to learn about everything. Thanks.