Urban Latin America in Times of Covid-19: Views from Fall 2020 

Please click on the sites below to learn about the history of each city and how it has been impacted during times of Covid-19 in Fall 2020.

Sao Paulo Brazil

Sao Paulo Brazil

City Overview São Paulo is the largest city in Brazil with a population of 44 million people.  São Paulo might be considered the cultural center of Brazil, as it is home to many famous authors who have used the city as a basis for their stories. It is also home to...

Read More

Santiago, Chile

Santiago, Chile

Part One, City Overview       The city of Santiago de Chile is the capital city of Chile. Santiago lies in the middle of the country, which is notable for its very long vertical thin shape. Chile runs up the pacific coast on the southern part of the continent. It...

Read More

Lima, Peru

Lima, Peru

Part One: Lima, Peru, Overview Lima is located on the central coast of the country, on the shores of the Pacific Ocean, forming an extensive and populous urban area known as “Lima Metropolitana'', bordered by the coastal desert and extended over the valleys of the...

Read More

Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro

Part One: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, an overview Rio de Janeiro represents a melting pot of cultures, ethnicities, and urban attractions; all of which stand out on the global stage. The Guanabara Bay became a region of business, trade, and commerce in the mid...

Read More

Mauricio – Mexico City

Mauricio – Mexico City

Hello! My name is Mauricio and I am a ten year old boy living in Roma, a neighborhood in Mexico City where I live with 11 of my family members. You may have met us in the film Coco. Since that film ended, my family, like many Mexicans, migrated from small towns to...

Read More

Mariana – Peru

Mariana – Peru

I am Mariana and I live in Lima Peru. COVID had impacted my home life, as well as my economic situation and education. It has also generated a fear in my family of the contagion which has hurt our mental health. It has been very isolating for everyone, some have...

Read More

Eva – Peru

Eva – Peru

I am Eva, a married woman from San Isidro in Lima, Peru. Since the start of quarantine we have had to isolate ourselves, we stayed home while only one family member went to the shops, “we lived in constant fear.” I have continued to work for the university, but my...

Read More

Alejandro – Peru

Alejandro – Peru

My name is Alejandro and I am a forty one year old, gay, mixed race Latino from Lima in a town called La Calera. I have a university education and now I work as a certified public accountant. Since COVID I have been working from home to obey the government's social...

Read More

Alessandra – Peru

Alessandra – Peru

I am Alessandra, a forty four year old mother living in Lima, Peru. I have had to change my way of life as I now work remotely in addition to caring for the house, and my children. My son now does school from home as well, it has definitely been an adjustment for...

Read More

Antony – Peru

Antony – Peru

I am Antony and I live in Ica Puente Blanco, in Lima Peru. I am high risk for COVID so I have remained very isolated during these times. I am retired from my job so I stay at home and do not go out. I do have many activities and hobbies to fill my time though. When...

Read More

Paola – Mexico

Paola – Mexico

My name is Paola and I live in the city of Chilpancingo in the San Francisco neighborhood. I am a forty seven years old mestiza woman and I have a degree in secondary education in the specialty of Civics and Ethics Training. SInce March, students have been taking...

Read More

Guillermo – Mexico

Guillermo – Mexico

My name is Guillermo and I live in the city of Monterrey, Mexico. I am a fifty five year old mestizo professional production technician who owns his business. Currently, public schools have stopped face-to-face classes and all classes are online throughout Mexico....

Read More

Pablo – Mexico

Pablo – Mexico

My name is Pablo and I am a fifty one year old industrial safety technician living in the city of Puebla in Mexico. Public education in Mexico and specifically the city of Puebla has been affected because classes were moved online but there are many communities...

Read More

Maria – Puerto Rico

Maria – Puerto Rico

I am a sixty three year old married woman living in Rincon Puerto Rico with my husband. I am a teacher with a Masters and I focus on English as a second language ESL. I have been on lockdown at home since March. My students have been learning virtually. I like to...

Read More

Caroline

Caroline

My name is Caroline and I am a foreign-born resident of Guatemala City with an advanced university degree. I am living comfortably in my own home within the city suburbs. Since mid March, schools have been closed and distance learning modalities have been set in...

Read More

Claudia

Claudia

My name is Claudia and I am a forty five year old mestiza woman with doctoral university training currently working at the University of Costa Rica. Public education in the city of San Jose has been negatively impacted due to the lack of access to internet and...

Read More

Emilia

Emilia

I am Emilia, a sixty-five year old woman with a PhD in Sociology and I live in San José, Costa Rica. I stay home most of the time and I only see my daughters and grandchildren once every few months reduce my exposure to others. Most of the precautions set in place...

Read More

Katie

Katie

I am a twenty eight year old, White, American woman living in Rio de Janeiro, Flamengo. I live here with my wife who is a white Brazilian woman, we both have postgraduate degrees and we are working at a podcast production company in Rio. I used to take public...

Read More

Gisele

Gisele

My name is Gisele and I am a forty-one year old nurse, post graduated in public health, but I have not worked in the area for a year. I live in Santo André in São Paulo in the neighborhood of Vila Lucinda in Brazil. My family and I own a Japanese food restaurant...

Read More

Ana

Ana

I am a married woman with two daughters living in São Paulo. I am forty four years old and work as a gynecologist and obstetrician. I had to take a break from my work as a gynecologist for two months, but, I could never quit my work as an obstetrician. Many public...

Read More

Francisco

Francisco

My name is Francisco and I am thirty nine years old, married, with child who is 19 months living in Sao Paulo. I have already graduated from pharmacy school and now work for a pharmaceutical company. I am no longer enrolled in public education, but they have all...

Read More

Lucas

Lucas

My name is Lucas and I am a forty-nine year old male doctor living the Santo Amaro district of Sao Paulo, Brazil. During the beginning of the pandemic, there was a restriction in public transportation which decreased the frequency of movement from myself and others...

Read More

Adriana

Adriana

My name is Adriana and I live in the Capão Redondo district in São Paulo, Brazil.I am a superior art teacher with a son at public university who is experiencing virtual classes rather than face-to-face classes and that whole situation is sad. I usually move around...

Read More

Sophia

Sophia

My name is Sophia and I currently reside in downtown Sao Paulo. I work to represent International organizations and their relations with current affairs. Thankfully, I can afford to own a car and this has kept me from dealing with the poor quality of public...

Read More

Isabel

Isabel

My name is Isabel and I currently live in Parque Delfim Verde, in Itapecerica da Serra, Brazil. I previously worked in the health field in education, I was unemployed due to COVID. Because of this I’ve had to reinvent myself to find new work in order to provide for...

Read More

Esperanza

Esperanza

My name is Esperanza and I am a white, forty eight year old nurse and professor of nursing. I identify as female and I am married to my husband with two kids. I have gotten two degrees and worked in a hospital as well. It has been difficult working in universities,...

Read More