0

Final Final Project

Final Project

For my final project, I decided to create a sailboat. I wanted to create this because I have always enjoyed sailing during the summer, and that is only days away. I tried to slightly design it to look my uncle’s boat, also called Bravura, but did not have a picture of his boat so also used google for inspiration. Because of the situation where i was unable to download fusion and had to do all my work for the fusion project on my roommates laptop, I decided to choose between SCAD and Tinkercad. I actually really liked using SCAD; however, felt that because we had so much in class time and help with Tinkercad, it made more sense to use the program. Because of a time crunch with finals, I was worried I would spend time designing on SCAD, but get stuck on an element and have to start over.

Although a sailboat might not be too “complex”, it actually took a fair amount of time because I added detailed elements that I made from scratch. Although there were several wheels, I did not think any really looked right so created my own (below). I also used the sketch tool to create lifejackets to add to the boat for a little more detail. A part of the design that I would say I specifically like is how the sails appear to be flowing. I did this by using the “round roof” shape and then creating a copy hole that inter-lapped the sail. I do realize that this design would be impossible to print without altering aspects (such as the sails), but because I was just doing the design, I felt that it would be ok. If I decided to print I would just push the sails connected with the tall mast and add support underneath. All in all, for someone that came into this class with zero designing experience, I am happy with how this came out. I am far from an expert on any of the programs, but with each project, I challenged myself more and improved a lot because of that.

kernsmj