Abdul Koroma’s brothers

Introduction

In this candid interview, Abdul Koroma, a 21-year-old immigrant from Sierra Leone, shares his journey of coming to the United States at a very young age, showing a rich display of experiences of migration, economic and sociologic integration, and the way in which his cultural identity has changed since coming to America.. As Abdul tells his story, the reasons for his migration become more prevalent, showing why his family chose to migrate to America during that time. The push factors from Sierra Leone, such as poverty and poor educational opportunity, intersect with the pull factors of American opportunities, making a story of his family’s migration, rooted in the hopes and dreams of a better future.The analysis dives into the multiple reasonings for Abdul’s integration into the U.S., exploring how he became accustomed to these new economic landscapes, encountered mixed reactions upon arrival, and worked with the differences of his cultural identity. Abdul’s story becomes a window to the themes of migration, integration, change of who he is and what he considers home to himself. From the first stages of migration at a young age to figuring out American work culture and getting paid more for that work, Abdul’s experiences provide a first person account through which we can view the detailed interactions of personal choices, societal expectations, and the changing of his sense of belonging. This story asks us to question the broader implications of immigration, shedding light on the complicated jump between individual agency and the social collective agency that shapes an immigrant’s story in a new land.

Summary of Interview

Abduls journey of migration from Sierrra Leone to the United States was brough upon by his parents’ aspirations for a better life, primarily driven by the challenges they faced in Sierra Leone such as poverty and poor educational opportunity. The migration process that started when Abdul was a young child, was supported by his father and his mother, who both played an extremely important role in ensuring the migration happened smoothly. Financial resources were limited due to their poverty, and the family initially lived with relatives upon their arrival until they were able to get on their feet. Legal issues did not pose any problems, and Abdul eventually became a United States citizen. The mixed reactions he encountered at the airport he still remembers to this day, which showed the challenges of adapting to a new environment. 

Abdul faced the typical challenges of adapting to a new culture and work environment. Despite working at a Dunkin Donuts, a coffee-shop well known in American culture, and hating the drink itself, he was able to navigate through the cultural differences and adapted to American work and social expectations. The transition to the United States educational system was difficult for him, leaving his friends behind in Sierra Leone, and adjusting to these new social dynamics were aspects of his integration experience. While he maintained contact with his home country through technology, he still has not physically returned even until today, in the past 17 years since he left. 

Abdul chose to become a United States citizen, showing his commitment to his new adoptive homeland. He went through the naturalization process that all immigrants have to go through when trying to become a citizen in the US, taking the necessary test. Additionally, he obtained dual citizenship, shaping his identity as a citizen of the US and of Sierra Leone. However, despite spending the majority of his life in the United States, Abdul still considers himself a “foreigner”, emphasizing his roots in Sierra Leone and maintaining a connection to his cultural heritage over the years. His sense of identity has evolved, yet he remains loyal to his origins in his home country. 

Analysis of Interview

Abdul’s family chose the United States as their “new destination” to escape challenges that Sierra Leone presented to them, driven by the push factors of poverty and limited education as he stated in his excerpt from the interview, “I believe so because my parents wanted to go to America to make life much better for me and my siblings. And, yeah. And the problems were probably, like,  what I know now as I’ve grown, probably, were definitely poverty and stuff like that. And lack of, like, education and stuff like that. So that’s definitely a big reason why my parents chose the United States.” This migration narrative underlines the global nature of movement, driven by economic and educational motivation. The families choice of the United States as their destination reflects the complex relationship of factors that influence migration decisions, highlighting the significance of a host country’s perceived opportunities such as fulfilling the “American Dream” and the attributes that the chosen country has to offer new immigrants. 

Abduls family also experienced the interaction of push/pull factors that often shape migration decisions. Pushed by economic hardships and a lack of educational opportunity in Sierra Leone, they were pulled to the United States by the promise of a better life. Abdul’s father played an essential role in supporting the family’s journey to the US, as he stated when he said “ so I know it was my dad and my mom, but more so of my dad that wanted us to get out of there and go to, uh, the United States of America.  And he definitely helped us throughout the whole journey”, emphasizing the importance of familial networks. The labor market dynamics of both countries influenced the decision to migrate, showcasing how economic factors contributed to the complicated forces that cause migration. The family’s story reflects the broader patterns seen in global migration, where individuals and families navigate complex factors to seek improved economic and social situations. Another way family dynamics played a significant role with Abduls family’s migration was his ability to go live with his Aunts when he first arrived in the US. As he stated “…when we first got here, we didn’t, uh, what’s it called, live by ourselves. We lived with our aunts, and then my parents got on their feet well enough, and then we moved out”, which shows a safe and smart way to start making money to be able to afford the migration to a new country. Some of his relatives were already here and had a place that they could move into for a while, whilst they got enough money to get their own place, which I believe would be a major pull factor for them to be able to safely and intelligently migrate to a new country with little or no money. 

The political aspects of migration that Abdul’s family faced when migrating to the United States were how they entered the country legally and how they gained citizenship. The absence of other legal issues in their migration process shows a positive interaction with immigration policies that the US has. Their experience highlights the importance of legal pathways and adhering to regulations for achieving successful migration outcomes. His statement “Oh, no, there was no, there was no legal issues. Honestly, I believe that we came fine.”, showcases the family’s ability to navigate the legal aspects of immigration and shows how possible it is for other people to be able to migrate to the US as well. This facilitation of lawful entry to the US will eventually allow these immigrants to integrate better within the society. Abdul’s family’s journey is a great story to showcase how individual dreams and broader systems intersect to highlight how policies shape the immigrant experience. 

Abduls integration into American society was a multifaceted process that was influenced by many factors, including learning English and getting his first job. As he was integrating into this new country, the complexness of adapting to a new culture was a part of his everyday life. Abdul says “My first job was at Dunkin Donuts, and it was kind of hard because I’m not a coffee person…. Working back home, we startyed at a young age”. This statement shows the complex nature of integration, considering not only cultural differences that he had to get used to, as well as an adjustment to a different work environment. Abduls experience depended on individual preferences, showing that integration did not follow a universal approach and that every migrant’s integration was their own. 

Abduls first moments in the United States showed more to him than just hospitality. His first moments were full of social contexts, including his encounters at the airport of mixed reactions from other people. As he stated he recieved “mixed reactions because people just looked at us, like, cause everyone brings suitcases and stuff, and we brought like, big Bundles of packages of luggage and stuff. We didn’t like have suitcases though So I feel like it was mixed at first just like so I didn’t know I’ve never been to an airport that big So.” showing the diverse reactions that immigrants may face upon entering a new country. Also, his transition into working here in the US, starting his job at Dunkin Donuts, shows how he integrated into the “labor markets” of his new country. Abduls journey is connected with the larger migration industry, shown in the details of his story and the settling with family members afterward. This illustrates how the reception involved a variation of multiple factors at work. 

Abduls migration journey is deeply ingrained with family dynamics. His parents’ decision to migrate was motivated by a desire for a better life for their children. He shares” My parents wanted to go to America to make life much better for me and my siblings.” This showcases the pivotal role family plays during the immigration experience. Furthermore, as a representative of the second generation of immigrants, Abduls experience involved a unique undertaking of culturtal heritage and assimilation, adding another layer of the complicated immigration story. 

Lastly, Abduls immigration story showcases how important it is to be in good standing legally with the country you are going to. He states “Oh no, there was no legal issues. Honestly, I believe that we came fine.” highlighting the importance of legal status in shaping the immigrant experience. However, Abduls story of a smooth legal process also goes to show his lived experience, such as the day-to-day reality that goes beyond legal issues. His family’s initial living situation with his Aunt’s and eventually moving shows the connection of legality and the practical nature of establishing a new life in a new country. 

In conclusion, Abduls immigration story intricately weaves together personal aspirations and systemic structures, showcasing the complex nature of migration. Driven by factors such as poverty and limited educational opportunities in Sierra Leone, Abdul’s family selected the United States as their “new destination” to seek a better life for their family, reflecting broader global migration patterns. The factors influencing their decision along with family networks and labor market dynamics, highlight the multifaceted and contingent nature of immigration. Abdul’s positive interactions with immigration policy shows the significance of legal pathways, contributing to a smooth integration process, and an easy migration process. His assimilation into American society involved navigating complex cultural and societal aspects that gave him an easy integration process. Social encounters such as mixed reactions at the airport, provide insights into the diverse experiences immigrants face upon entering a new country. Family dynamics played an important role in his migration, from the initial decision to migrate for a better life, to his representation of the second generation of immigrants. Overall, Abdul’s story serves as a testament to the complicated workings of personal and systemic factors shaping immigrant experiences.

Liam (Interviewer)

Hi, my name is Liam Conway. I’m here with Abdul Koroma. Abdul, do I have your permission to post this on a website with other immigrant stories documenting this? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Yes. yes you do. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Awesome. Thank you. Let’s start off with just an introduction. What is your name and how old are you? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

My name is Abdul Karoma and I’m 21 years old. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Awesome. Okay. Where is your family from and when did they migrate to America? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

My family is from Sierra Leone, West Africa, and they migrated to America, I believe, 2005, 2006. Somewhere around there.

Liam (Interviewer)

Alright. We’re going to start with the migration aspect. Uh, can you tell me about how you moved to the United States? Who helped or supported you during this journey?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Um, I was pretty young at the time. Well, I was like three or four, so I know it was my dad and my mom, but more so of my dad that wanted us to get out of there and go to, uh, the United States of America.  And he definitely helped us throughout the whole journey and everything. 

Liam (Interviewer)

That leads me into my next question. What were the main reasons that you decided to leave Sierra Leone?  Were there problems or situations that made you want to move?  

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Uh, yeah. I believe so because my parents wanted to go to America to make life much better for me and my siblings. And, yeah. And the problems were probably, like,  what I know now as I’ve grown, probably, were definitely poverty and stuff like that. And lack of, like, education and stuff like that. So that’s definitely a big reason why my parents chose the United States.  

Liam (Interviewer)

So on the other hand, what attracted you to the United States? Was it just the education and things like that or other special opportunities that influenced your decision?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

I mean, when I was young, I really didn’t know that much. So I didn’t really have like any attraction to the United States. I just knew that I was getting on a plane, honestly, and just going to a new life as young as I was. But if I was older,  my attraction would have definitely been to like, go meet new people, try new food, and just learn new stuff that the Americans do that us Africans do differently.

Liam (Interviewer)

Awesome. All right. Um, how did your relationships with people affect your experience moving? Did you have any support groups? Did you leave any friends behind? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Oh yeah, I left, I left plenty of friends behind and, but I mean, it wasn’t also, it was a bad choice, but it wasn’t my choice.. When I moved here, I’m an outgoing person. I like talking to a lot of people, so it wasn’t hard to meet new people because, I mean, I was in a classroom with, like, 18 other kids, so it’s easier in a small, controlled environment to meet new friends. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Yeah, true. Okay. Um,  did you have the important resources, like money, emotional support, and other things that helped you move? Uh,  how did these resources shape your experience? Specifically, like, money. Like, how was that?  

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Um, money wise, I mean, being that young, not really knowing how much money is, but as I grew older, I understood how much my parents put in and money wise, we didn’t obviously come and move into a mansion. We lived in a small little house with me and my three other siblings, and I believe that both my parents did their best to provide for me and my siblings to look well and orientated. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Okay, um, were there any legal issues or anything like that that affected your move? And how did you deal with that part?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Oh, no, there was no, there was no legal issues. Honestly, I believe that we came fine. We, uh,  when we first got here, we didn’t, uh, what’s it called, live by ourselves. We lived with our aunts, and then my parents got on their feet well enough, and then we moved out. So I don’t think there was any Legal issues that we came across got to say

Liam (Interviewer)

You got citizenship pretty much?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Yes.

Liam (Interviewer)

Awesome  Can you talk about how you started working in the United States and then adjusted to American work expectations?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Oh, yeah, my first job was at Dunkin Donuts and it was kind of hard cuz I’m not a coffee person I do not like coffee at all. I hate it and It was just like a new thing and I was working with all women and I was like, wow, they all drink coffee. I don’t drink coffee. I mean like working back home. I mean, we started at a young age. We don’t really make as much as we did here, even though it wasn’t a lot either, but like, I mean, it wasn’t too hard to adapt to it. I feel like, personally, myself, I don’t know about my siblings, but I feel like I was pretty fine. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Right. What was your experience when you first arrived in the U. S.? Did you encounter friendly, unfriendly, or mixed reactions from other people? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Uh, I’d say mixed reactions because people just looked at us, like, cause everyone brings suitcases and stuff, and we brought like, big Bundles of packages of luggage and stuff. We didn’t like have like suitcases though So I feel like it was mixed at first just like so I didn’t know I’ve never been to an airport that big So I got it. No, like where am I? What am I doing? I didn’t know what state we were in honestly. So yeah.

Liam (Interviewer)

How did you manage relationships with people from your home country? Did you like to call them? And did they like this move? Or did they not like it?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

I mean, yeah, my parents kept in contact and stuff. So yeah, they call them. And then I got on the phone and we talked and I mean,  it was just like, sad. I mean, they there’s nothing that my friends could have done about there’s nothing I could have done about it as being that young, like, I didn’t really know.We weren’t really like so close until like we got older, we started talking more. So I mean, it helped like my parents keep it in touch back home so I could talk to them as well off WhatsApp and stuff like that.  

Liam (Interviewer)

Tell me about your journey learning English, uh, did you learn it going to high school here, or did you learn it, uh, before you came here in Sierra Leone?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Uh, the good thing about Sierra Leone is our main language is Creole, and Creole is broke English, so learning English was not hard at all because it’s like broken English, Creole is like very easy to learn, like a regular person, American could probably learn my language in probably a month and a half, so it wasn’t hard at all to understand. But I mean, some stuff here and there, yes, were hard, but I mean, I got used to it and just, yeah. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Gotcha. Okay. Can you share any situations you’ve faced concerning political involvement and social services? Uh, like, did you ever have any problems with the local government about, like, your citizenship or anything like that?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

No, I’ve never come across anything like that, honestly. Not that I remember.  

Liam (Interviewer)

Alright, cool.

And, uh, did you decide to become a U. S. citizen, like, or were you born as one? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

I decided to become a U. S. citizen because I wasn’t, uh, born here. Gotcha. I come from Sierra Leone, but I mean, yeah, I was nothing. 

Liam (Interviewer)

And so did you just take a test to become one?

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Yeah.

Liam (Interviewer)

Okay, cool.  Concerning the connections to your home country, how often do you visit and What kind of communication do you have to this day? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

I’ve actually never been back ever since I’ve come here and my parents want me to go back and I’m just like no not yet I don’t feel like it and Communication my parents still call everyone that’s there right on the daily.So yeah.

Okay, what are your thoughts on having dual citizenship? Have you thought about or taken steps to have that? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

I mean, yeah, I have dual citizenship. I think it’s pretty cool, honestly. Like, it’s an easy fun fact that when people tell you, just like, What’s a fun fact about you? I’m a dual citizen. Then they ask you where. So I feel like it’s pretty cool. Just being from,  um, Sierra Leone. So, like, just having two citizenships pretty well. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Gotcha. Alright. Uh, last question. Share your thoughts on how you perceive your place in U. S. society. Do you identify as American or  Do you feel as though you’re foreign? And how has this changed over the years? 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Uh, I’ll take myself as foreign because, I mean, I don’t want to consider myself American if I wasn’t born here. I don’t want to steal, or like be a fraud person saying I’m from America when I’m not. Even though I’ve been here a very long time, longer than I’ve been back home. But like, my roots are from Sierra Leone, they’re not from here. And I mean, it’s changed over the years. I mean, I’m still taking my roots.  I have no problem doing that. I have no problem telling people where I came from. I feel like it’s a good way to start a conversation and yeah. 

Liam (Interviewer)

Gotcha. All right, cool. Well, thank you, Abdul. Appreciate the time. Uh, that was a great interview. 

Abdul Koroma (Interviewee)

Thanks. No problem.

Liam (Interviewer)

Thank you.