V.G. was born and raised in Caracas, Venezuela. She lived a very simple and happy life with her parents and younger sister. Both her and her sister attended private school and were very family orientated and they would spend time with their grandparents every weekend until her family was put in danger in the year of 2009.
The Venezuelan economy was devastated by the crash of oil prices in the 1980s and the massive public expenditure and accumulation of government and private sector internal and external debts during the Petrodollar period of the 1970s and early 80s. The actual standard of living of Venezuelans dropped significantly as the administration undervalued the currency in order to challenge its rising local and foreign financial obligations. In February 1989, President Carlos Andrés Perez’s neo-liberal reforms led to widespread rioting and a massive crackdown by the military and law enforcement, which became known as the Caracazo. It is claimed that among February 27 and March 5, 1989, state security forces managed to kill about 300 and 3,000 Venezuelans following the disturbances. Increased poverty and violence, deteriorating socioeconomic indicators and growing political instability have resulted in three major coup attempts, two in 1992 and another in 2002, leading to a number of unsuccessful fiscal plans and rising corruption in government and society at

large.

https://theconversation.com/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-hugo-chavez-and-the-international-left-12651

Hugo Chavez, a former paratrooper, wanted to overthrow President Carlos Andres Perez’s government in the February 1992 coup as resentment rose against the president’s financial austerity programs. Chavez struggled to succeed and ended up

in prison.

Another failed coup attempt occurred in November of that year, coordinated by other Venezuelan Armed Forces revolutionary factions as well as those who remained from Chavez’s earlier attempts. In March 1994, President Rafael Caldera, with a fresh slate and his legal power restored, pardoned Hugo Chávez. In 1998, Chávez was elected to the presidency and the generating new of the ‘Bolivarian Revolution,’ starting with the 1999 Constituent Assembly to write the new Constitution of Venezuela, saw a fall of confidence in the current parties.

With all of this corruption that accumulated, Venezuela suffered an extreme economic downfall with inflation being so high and the government being untrustworthy, that their people, themselves had to defend themselves and survive, which led to a lot of violence. As V.G. mentioned, her family was very well-off, therefore did not worry as much that the economy was bad, therefore some individual must have known that and put V.G. family in danger by robbing them and making her dad be held at gunpoint. At that point, her parents applied for political refugee. According to V.G., it took her family about 5 years to be approved for it because the governments takes forever to process the paperwork, “After five years, we’re still waiting for the first letter that they have to send you” (2:02).
Even though her family had money and then eventually learned that they had a lawyer friend assist them, still took years to process. Therefore, it does not matter how much money you have, or the amount have connections you know, this type of immigration process is very lengthy and expensive as V.G. claimed that when her parents were applying for the forms, there was a fine for each individual within a family and in her case, there were four, “It’s a very expensive process for sure. We had to pay a lot of money especially you pay per people” (34:04).
Once the family was approved to move out of Venezuela, they only had a few days to move out and lie to their family and friends as to why they had to leave so abruptly. Their choice of residency was Miami, FL as V.G.’s father sister lived there. According to Piore, “Migration is an inherently social process”, meaning that immigrants stay in constant communication letting others know the opportunities up there are where communities that fit their lifestyle or backgrounds are. This type of social process brings awareness to others. Hence why V.G. and her family moved to Miami as they knew a relative that lived there, “…because we have some kind of family or friends over here. It was more comfortable for my parents and I to move here” (7:04). Piore also proclaims that migrants naturally draw on these familiar associations to share the dangers and challenges of life in exile when traveling to a new and sometimes hostile country, and those left behind depend on the same links to alleviate the isolation and fear of having a family member or friend live so far away. The reason why her aunt moved to Miami was because when Hugo Chavez was elected president, V.G.’s aunt moved to Miami as she did not support Chavez as a president or his previous actions, “I was aware that they didn’t they didn’t agree with him” (8:55).
Once V.G. and her family arrived in the US, they did experience a bit of a culture shock. As V.G. mentioned before, her family would visit from time-to-time to Florida. They would visit some family and go do touristy things there, but to live there was completely new for them. Transitioning was not too hard for them as Miami has a huge Latino community but as my interviewee was explaining it was still hard for her to emerge into her new life there as everyone was from everywhere, so she had to adapt herself into learning new slang. As far for English, it did take her awhile to grasp the language. When asked about the education between both countries, her school in Venezuela was stricter and did teach the basics of English as a language but it never stuck with her as she never had to practice the language outside of school in Venezuela, “At the time, I thought it was not important at all, I never thought I’ll use it, you know, I was just a little girl, I didn’t really thought about the future.”. However now that she has meet her husband, who is a second generation American, she feels that her English has gotten better being with him as he primarily speaks English to her.
Since V.G. is a first-generation immigrant to the US, she feels that she owes a lot to her parents as they have done so much to provide a better life for her and her little sister. Therefore, her goal here in the US is to finish college and obtain a good job so that she can return the favor to her parents, for what she thinks, is the reason why she has a better life now.
I know V.G. because she is now my sister-in-law. As of recently she has moved in with me and family and I thought that this interview would be a perfect way for me to get to know her as never had to chance to meet her since her and my brother started dating years ago. I am so glad that she agreed to be interviewed as I have learned so much about her and appreciate how strong of an individual she is. It is very rare for a person to be so vulnerable and share their story how she did. It is so sad and scary that her and her family had to experience this. Especially her parents, as this was not the life they planned. I could not imagine how it is to suddenly leave your friends and family behind and to not tell anyone why you are leaving.
For this report I have decided not to use her full real name, as I have learned throughout the interview that those who seek asylum and obtain it but keep their identity private and unfortunately not return back to their country. Therefore, I am respecting the experience that she has gone through and keeping her name anonymous. Also, the interviewee could not have gone into much detail and her family situation or the process of it as her parents were the one that had gone through the process of the paperwork. V.G.’s parents wanted to protect their children as much as they could, therefore they though it was best not to tell them that they were seeking asylum in the first place, hence why my interviewee could not provide much detail for it. Her story truly makes me appreciate those who migrate here. Even though her family did not have any intention to moving to the US, they truly are making it work for them. Both of V.G.’s parents work and V.G. herself has applied to obtain a worker permit, therefore, they are contributing to society and immerging themselves into the American culture. But as of recently under the Trump administration, all working visas will be delayed by six months which puts my interviewee at risk because she relies on that permit to have a job and without that permit, she would be considered illegal because now that she has married an American her validation of being in the US under asylum will cancel out, “Yeah, if I choose to go to the married path or choose that one to just continue my government status with I lose my whole asylum. It’s like a total different government issue. It’s it just they don’t they don’t mix together. You can’t you have to either choose.”(39:28). Hopefully with the new president coming in, this policy will change as not only has it affected my interviewee but probably millions more.

Amber: Hi! How are you?
V.G.: I’m good
Amber: Good! I’m going to ask you a few questions okay
V.G.: okay
Amber: Alright, where are you from?
V.G.: I’m from Caracas, Venezuela. Los chorros district.
Amber: Can you describe to me what if was like in Venezuela
V.G.: Yes! so there are mixed feelings about it. In one side, the government and security made you feel scared or nauseous all the time, but, on the other side, Venezuela was where I grew up. It was my home, people there are always so warm and always joking even though you are around strangers they always make you feel that you are wrong around family so yeah it is alright
Amber: So based off of that what made you move to the US?
V.G.: Um, well, as you know, and as you seen the news, the extreme inflation, the corrupt government and the extreme insecurity, made the quality of life, extremely poor. So, my parents made a decision to move to the US.

Amber: And were you scared or happy about that?

V.G.: Um, I was, I was extremely scared. You never been outside, Venezuela. Um, I always come came, I always came here. But it was only for vacations for like, a week or two. And he was only in Miami. I didn’t know the language. I didn’t know anything. All the culture was really different. So yeah, it was extremely scary for me.

Amber: So, when you have to move here, can you explain to me how the immigration process is like?

V.G.: Um, well, my parents did most of it. What…what I did notice is that it was extremely slow and long process. Um, my parents did asylum, we were government refugees. Um, but yeah, it’s just extremely slow and extremely long, like they take forever. After five years, we’re still waiting for the first letter that they have to send you. So you can see how the process of moving. You can’t know when you’re going to receive, so it’s just extremely, extremely slow. I’m still waiting.

Amber: Do you have a theory as to why it’s so slow, like, are a lot of people processing visas to leave the country?

V.G.: For everyone it different. Since the government in Venezuela has been since 2000. A lot of Venezuelan people came here asking for government refuge… asking for asylum. So at this point, the government you know, they don’t really care about it, since so many Venezuelan people just immigrated here. But it’s different for everyone. I have people that have waiting for that have been waiting for, I don’t know, 15 years or older people that just been here for like two or three years and they already have the papers, the green car and everything. Um, so yeah, I have no idea why so long. It’s just different for everyone on the government generally, extremely slow with everything.

Amber: But if a certain case was an important case, do you think that those individuals would receive their paperwork faster? Or?

V.G.: No.

V.G. 4:00
I mean, with the asylum that we have, it’s it’s something that happened when my parents they were held at gunpoint at some point. That’s why we had asylum. So I don’t know. What’s more dramatic than that, I guess. Well, yeah, at this point, I don’t think it matters like before, maybe. But at this point is like, first come first serve, so I have no idea.

Amber: So, once you got approval, were you scared of leaving your remaining family and friends?

V.G.: Of course, um, when I was a little girl and I went to a private school, I’ve been with my friends that I knew since I was like three years old. It was only us in the same class and they were the only people that I will hang out with. My family and everything to me, my parents, my grandparents. They grew up with me, I see I have seen them every week of every day since I was born. And I was very spoiled by my grandparents and my aunt as wee. So I was very … I was like the little girl in the family. So when I left, it was only me and my sister and my friends. It was very hard on me. But, you know, they understood that it was for the best, especially for me and my sister, since we were only in middle school when my sister was in kindergarten. And it was for the best here, I could have the possibility for a future and they understood that.

Amber: So, your friends did know about that your parents applied for asylum?

V.G.: Um, no. So when we left, what I told them was… I didn’t know until last minute. My parents didn’t told me until everything was ready. So at the point that I told my friends over there, um, I was leaving, basically, like three days after they kind of know that I do have asylum, but it’s very general. I can’t be sharing that information with everyone since the United States government and everything else. Um, but yes, like I told them like, “Hey, I’m leaving to the states in like, three days”. So that’s basically everything they know.

Amber: So, you yourself didn’t know that you were seeking asylum,

V.G.: No. And so my mom told me we were living here. At first. That’s all I knew. I didn’t at that time, I didn’t really know how that work, how to get a green car or residency. When it got here, and I started you know, noticing, asking, especially when it was time to like, put the fingerprints or sign whatever and it was my turn. I started noticing I’m asking that’s when I knew we were doing asylum.

Amber: Okay, so I knew that previously to what you said that Florida that you visited Florida, but why was Florida your choice of residency?

V.G.: Um, well, my I like I told you I’ve been coming here since I was a little girl or only for a couple of weeks. My aunts on my dad’s side, they’ve been living here since 99. I think. Um, so they were the only family we had in another country. And Yeah, I think because of that, because we have some kind of family or or friends over here. It was more comfortable for my parents and I to move here. Um, I was kind of familiar but not really, um, it’s very different when you come to vacation so you only visit like once every year or every two years for a couple of weeks. So yeah, I guess it’s because of that. Also, I think because there were so many Hispanic people so they thought it was going to be you know, more comfortable for us. Um, but yeah, I think it was because my… I have family here.

Amber: And then do you know why they also moved there?

V.G.: I know my one of my aunts in 99 when Chavez won, I was aware that they didn’t they didn’t agree with him. Um, I think my aunt in that same year got married and for vacation for their honeymoon, they went to Orlando to Disney, um, and I guess they, they I don’t know they just liked it. Apparently, she got a very good very good deal in a job she went to discharge. They offer her not asylum but when an industry gives you papers because they need you work in there. Yeah, a work visa. And she’s learning English and apparently… I don’t know. They just…it was very random. And for my second aunt she saw, you know, the same thing with the government. I think she moved here two years after my first aunt move. Um, but yeah, US basically for the government and because some opportunities that she got here.

Amber: Okay. That’s very nice that all your family still decided to stay together and support one another. So, continuing with Florida, how was it like living in Miami? What were your first impressions of the people?

V.G.: Well, first, um, it was, I don’t know, I was just so scared. And, you know, I was somewhere where I, I didn’t I don’t know, it wasn’t my home. So it was very hard for me. Um, I guess it was a relief that there were so many Hispanics living there. There were something there was something familiar I could relate to. But it wasn’t the same at the end. And it was a total different country. I didn’t know where anything was and I don’t know, it’s just very different. When I first got to Miami, I remember thinking how beautiful and how huge of a city it was, it took me a while to have any sense of direction. But you know, at the end, like everything I did then love falling in love with the city. You know, it’s like, a second home that took me in. With the people, you know, they’re Hispanic, yes, and that’s, like I told you like a little relief. But they were for different countries, not Venezuela. So they have different slangs. They have different words that I never heard of before. After a while, you know, like asking and having friends for those from those countries. To they teach me the slangs on the words, you know, at this point, I already know basically everything from whatever country but at first, it was scary. Yes. But it was also a relief.

Amber: And a while living there, based on what you said did you did you knew that you had a culture shock or?

V.G.: Oh yeah, for sure. I have never left Venezuela before. Everything was completely different. Even though there were so many Hispanics or Latinos, the majority from Central America or any other country but Venezuelans this slangs or common words I have never heard of or seen before. They food and how they behave was totally different too I had to ask my friends at school what many words meant how to use them. Eventually I got used to it but yeah, I definitely had a culture shock. And eventually your accent, it fades away because there are so many people with different accents. And you don’t hear the same one every day. So or I don’t know, like everything I don’t feel I definitely don’t feel the same person as I came here. And now.

Amber: Talking about your friends at school. How is the education like compared to Venezuela?

V.G.: Venezuela education, it’s much more strict, and because I study in a private school, they ask much more than here when I got here further along in school. And the only obstacle was the language barrier, basically.

Amber: Because even though Miami has a huge Latino base, the learning language was still in English. Correct?

VG Mm hmm.

Amber: So, knowing that there was that obstacle, how did you overcome the language barrier?

V.G.: Well, at first, um, I mean, In Venezuela, English was one of the courses that we would take every year, but it was like extremely, extremely basic English and every year we’ll see the same thing. And it was this course no one would care for attention about. At the time, I thought it was not important at all, I never thought I’ll use it, you know, I was just a little girl, I didn’t really thought about the future. Um, of course, when I go to the states , you know, it was like a slap in my face. Um, but majority of the alumni were Spanish speakers in my school. Um, so I didn’t have the necessity right away to learn English. The first two years, I remember, I honestly didn’t really care about but my Junior and Senior year. I did learn more I, it was was much easier for me to understand and speak. Um, but you know, it wasn’t perfect or proper English. When he met my husband, he’s an American. It really made me push myself to improve on our proper English. I’m still learning but you know, it’s better than before. And I try always to ask or to better my English.

Amber: So now that you’ve married an American, it’s more important for you to not only learn the language, but how do you feel about learning about American history? Or how our country runs?

V.G.: Yeah, so in high school, they give us you know, American history, and, you know, I celebrate Thanksgiving, our independence day. As for now, you know, since I’m still in the country, it is important, you know, I’m living here. I’m supposed to know the history. Um, but I mean, it’s not something I’m applying myself to, to learn right away. Um, you know, for as for now, I’m open to it. My husband always tells me, you know, like facts and stuff that happens. But honestly, as for now, It’s not that I’m not interested in it, just that is not something that I’m applying to learn. As for now.

Amber: Yeah, that’s understandable. The US history is so much and it goes so in depth that sometimes I forget what actually happened here. So now that you’ve experienced all this, how does it feel to be a first generation child? Because you came here when you were in middle school in the US.

V.G.: Well, I’m, like I told you, it’s a culture shock. It’s extremely difficult, extremely scary, but you know, what, I’m already here. And I, you know, it’s, it’s like a second chance that I have. I’m trying, you know, everything possible to really, you know, grab that second chance. But I’m happy at the end of the day, I am happy that my parents, you know, they brought me here with them. Because I know that I have a future. And if I get to have a family, I know they will have a future as well. It’s not the same. If I wasn’t going to Venezuela right now, everything is much more difficult or everything is worse and I’m very happy that they took that step for me. And I’m very grateful to I know it was extremely difficult for all of us. But I’m very happy that they did it. And I’m very happy of the opportunities that I have here.

Amber: You mentioned that you were glad that your parents brought you here. Was there a moment that they thought it was safe for you and your sister to stay? Or it was better that they took all of you

V.G.: No. Definitely not Venezuela. It’s an extremely insecure country it like you see … I saw stuff that no one in my age will have you know, they see is just is you’re so crazy. What happens there. Even though my parents in Venezuela they have money and we were living very good actually. It didn’t take into effect what was happening. You know, it was just so crazy. Everything that was happening down there. You know, we try to we try to stay there for as long as possible because like I told we were We’ve been really good. But at some point, it was just so crazy and stuff happened with my family… the stuff that I saw. And yeah, it was definitely a “Yes! come here”. They didn’t thought about leaving me here or my sister at all. I think they even move here because of us because of my sister. They were hoping for a better future, a very, you know life quality. And yeah, I’m pretty sure that wasn’t a choice. I’m pretty sure that’s why they move here because of us.

Amber: Being a first generation child, do you feel any pressure from your parents? Especially since all the hard work they did? To bring you here?

V.G.: Yes, for sure. Um, I don’t think it’s pressure. It’s more that I’m grateful for everything they did, you know, the minimum I can do… It’s, you know, having an education and have a family, I guess. Um, and yeah, like, I’m pretty sure. It’s not pressure, it’s more how grateful I am. At first, I didn’t saw why they did it, you know, I was just 14 year old girl. Whereas for now, I definitely see why every time they watch the news, every time I talk with my friends that are there in Venezuela. Um, and yeah, I’m just trying everything possible to you know, to, to get their education that I’m able to get here to have the opportunities that I’m able to get here. Um, and I’m definitely definitely so grateful. I know how many nights and how many jobs my parents are working as for now, to you know, to still, you know, not maintain here but you know, to have a roof over my head to have food in my table. Um, I know how much they save to come here as well from Venezuela. The inflation over there is extremely high. So, like $1, is like millions of Bolivares (Venezuelan currency) so I know how much they say how much they sacrifice. Um, so yeah, it’s more it’s more grateful. A gratefulness than pressure.

Amber: Okay, now that you’re here, do you still communicate with your family back at home?

V.G.: Um, yes, my grandparents are still there. My friends, some of my friends are still there. Some others they immigrated to another countries. I still talk to my grandparents every week, I call them, when they can they visit. As for now with the Coronavirus it’s hard because the airports are closed. Every time we send them food and boxes of stuff when we can as well. Um, we try to help with everything we can but yeah, I’m still communicating with my family over there and my friends.

Amber: Is there a reason why your grandparents still stayed behind? Instead of wanting to move with you?

V.G.: Um, well at first um, we were hoping that my grandparents will come we’ll we were planning for us to come first to have everything set up on them for them to come. But then we saw how different life is here when you come living here down rather than you vacation, people here it’s working all the time. You don’t have time for everything. Definitely not the same as Venezuela. And then my grandparents came for vacation and they saw how it is. When people tell you like “oh, I’m going to the States”, I’m going to Miami you know it’s always spending money. It’s always you know, having a good time but definitely when you come here to live it’s like a totally different perspective. They saw how hard it is. And they decided not to move here. In Venezuela, they have a few properties. My grandpa still has a part time job. And with that, you know they get through. They have the money to get through. The problem is, you know, now finding the food or whatever but they still prefer that challenge than, you know, to be here working and being a totally different part of the world, you know. They grew up and they live in Venezuela their whole life, so it’s very different for them. But it was their decision, you know, we had to respect that. But still, we try to take them, or you know, send them here every time every chance that we can. And yeah, that’s the reason.

Amber: Have you been able to visit Venezuela again, since coming here?

V.G.: No, because I have asylum I can’t because that one of the rules they give you. Also, there’s nothing for me there. Um, it’s extremely dangerous for me to go on. Something bad can happen also in my family since because the asylum that which we put. Some people are looking for us there, so I can’t go anymore.

Amber: It will be a huge risk for you. Now with all asylum orders, is that everyone’s case where once they seek, once they receive that they have asylum, they cannot go back to the country?

V.G.: Yeah, that’s for everyone. I think you can’t go for 10 or 15 years. Or if the government changes, then you can go but if nothing had changed, you’re still here. You’re waiting for someone saying years later, you’re still can’t go.

Amber: And then why do you say that you don’t have a reason to go back?

V.G.: Well, majority of my family are here and my grandparents travel here. And like I told you, my husband’s here. My new friends are here. My, the rest of my family’s here. You know, my school is here. It’s like I changed all of it. So, it is just a new chapter for me. I mean, I know that if I go back over there, it’s going to be so hard for me. I’m going to remember everything and I finally got used to living here, it’s just you know… I don’t think it’s good for me to just go back and yeah.

Amber: Yeah, no, totally. That makes a lot of sense. Um, so now that you fully immersed yourself into the US culture, what are your goals here in the US?

V.G.: My goal, my current goal is just finish college. And then we’ll see Honestly, I don’t, I used to have so many plans. And obviously, everything changes all the time. I still don’t know my current status, if I’m going to be a resident or them or what’s going to happen. So I’m just doing short goals, as well. Now I just want to finish college, I just want to save some money. I’m young, you know, I’m, I’m newly married. So, I do want to enjoy my marriage, I do want to enjoy my youth. I’m just, you know, trying to finish my education, find a good job. I plan to travel a lot and, and just, you know, just have fun. Then I’ll worry about what happened either way I can make plans if I don’t know my, my status. Um, but for now, just finished my education and, and just enjoy my marriage and just enjoy my youth.

Amber: Those are very realistic goals for you. Um, so, like I said, now that you’ve lived here for a few years, do you feel like you’re an “American” or do you still feel foreign in a way?

V.G.: I definitely don’t feel like an American at all. Um, you know, I do embrace the culture here. I do embrace, you know, the language or the traditions that they do here. But my heart will always be in Venezuela for sure. I’m always going to be a Hispanic and I’m always going to enjoy my arepas or my traditions, you know, I do respect what they celebrate here, I do respect everything. But I don’t think I’ll ever become a fully American. If I ever have a family, I will teach them. Venezuelan traditions, we will speak Spanish in my house. It’s just, you know, it’s just who I grew up. Like, my, I don’t know, I just, I just don’t think I’ll ever be fully fully. But I do respect everything about it. You know, it was a country that took me in when I most needed and it has given me so many opportunities. So, I’m just gonna, you know, embrace whatever culture they have here, but in my heart will always be on Venezuela.

Amber: That’s a very nice thing to say. So now that I have a better understanding of your situation, if the orders do get lifted for your asylum, do you ever feel like you would move back to Venezuela?

V.G.: No, if you see the news…, just not a good decision to make. The security,the government still, you know, corrupt. The inflation is still under roof. The education there, right now there’s no teachers, there’s no one to give you like a good future over there. If you work as a CEO in whatever, department, you’re still making minimum wage is just terrible right now. It’s just not something I will ever consider. If I want to go to just go and live in another country. There’s like, hundreds of them that I can choose from well, Venezuela is definitely not one of them.

Amber: So, in your opinion, Why, do you think everyone still lives in Venezuela, even though as you said, it’s so bad?

V.G.: Because they didn’t have the same opportunities as me. It’s not that easy to just immigrate to another country is extremely hard. And just start from zero, it’s, it’s just not a possibility for everyone. Um, there’s people over there, they’re still get by, you know, it’s, it’s not that you can, it’s just that it’s hard. But at this point is just super hard. The government makes it impossible for you to just go to another country and start from zero. No a lot of people have family in other countries. Not a lot of people have the money or the resources. It’s just very hard to do it. Not everyone can join, you know, um, we were very lucky. I’m very grateful, but it’s not a possibility for everyone. For sure.

Amber: Mm hmm. When you when your parents decided to seek asylum, how was that process? Like? I know you said it takes forever but did they have to pay? Was there a way make the process easier if they knew someone?

V.G.: I don’t know. The details, because they did the majority of it, but we had a lawyer friend for many years, she is living in Miami. And she did the papers for my two first aunts. I understand. I think they as soon as we got here, we talked to her. She told us the steps to take. It’s a very expensive process for sure. We had to pay a lot of money especially if you pay per people. So we were forced so you know, it was even more expensive. But she basically did everything. We give her information and the papers that we had, and she was the one in charge to just give it to the government. And it’s basically as soon as she does that it’s basically to wait for them to reply back, but like I told you takes forever. But she’s the one in charge of everything. That’s why we did it with her, we pay her and she just does every step. She’s the one in charge of taking care of all of that. I don’t really know the details, but I do know that she’s the one that does, you know, everything with them.

Amber: So since you’ve been here under asylum, have you been able to obtain any jobs here? I know that you go to school, but public schools different in Miami?

V.G.: Yes. So when you have asylum, you apply for a work permit and they give it to you for two years and you can apply for any job. But recently, under the Trump administration, he change a new law that before when you apply they assure you that we’re gonna give it to you are in a six month period. So you had an idea when to apply and not to be basically working illegally somewhere. But because of these new law they don’t assure that so basically, I can be working in whatever place um, I have my work permit I apply for a new one because it’s gonna expire soon. But now they can’t assure me they’re gonna give it to me in six months. And the tricky is that I can only apply six months before the work permit expires. So, it’s just very difficult right now and because of that, you know, I’m very scared that I that I’ll be working somewhere and then because of the new law, they’re just gonna you know, fire me because I’m going to be there illegally. It’s just very tricky right now.

Amber: So even though you’re here under asylum and the government knows and you’re okay’ed, in order for you to work you need to have this work permit but if you don’t, you’re considered illegal but just..

V.G.: to work. Mm hmm.
Amber: to work

Amber: Okay, um but now that you’re married you can… all you have to do is just wait for your papers to process and then you could… then you’re able to work a normal job correct?

V.G.: Yes, so I like I told you I got married recently to an American. I’m just talking to my lawyer to see what should I do; if I should get my asylum or do something else. Right now we are still talking it,I haven’t done anything yet. Um, but whatever decision,I decide to choose um yeah, the both of them they’re going to give me my work asylum. If I go to the married sride it’s going to be a little bit easier but I’m gonna lose my other history in the asylum. So right now I’m just basically waiting for the lawyer to see what’s the best choice to make. Um, so we’ll see. I don’t know yet.

Amber: … because now that you’re married, your asylum can potentially be cancelled out?

V.G.: Yeah, if I choose to go to the married path or choose that one to just continue my government status with, I lose my whole asylum. It’s like a total different government issue. It’s just they don’t mix together. You can’t… you have to either choose.

Amber: But that’s for… of course the US. So even though you’re married, you still wouldn’t want to go back to Venezuela and visit.

V.G.: No. It’s very hard, like I told you over there. I don’t think it is wise for me to go over there

Amber: Well, that is all the questions that I have for you. Thank you for participating, I’ve learned so much about you and the whole process of the asylum.
V.G.: You’re welcome
Amber: Have a good day!