Joseph Funk Correspondence

Letter from Joseph Funk to James Curry 2/23/1836

This letter is viewable on Histories along the Blue Ridge at this link: Letter from Funk to Curry February 23, 1836

Rockingham Co. Febr. 23 1836.

Dear sir: –

I would like to know, whether you have taken the music books, of the first edition, at the Warm Springs, as I proposed to you in a former letter. It will be necessary for me to know, for if they still remain at the Warm Springs, I will try to dispose of them elsewhere. Also, please do let me know, whether you have safely received the Box of Music books, of the second edition, which I sent by the stage, and what success you have had in selling them. They are selling very fast with us, and are thought to be the best book of the kind that has yet been known. That they may prove an incentive, to thousands of the human family to engage in singing the praises of Jehovah; and that the Lord my bless you, and prosper you in the sale of them, is the ardent wish of 

Your Sincere Friend

Joseph Funk

Mr. James Curry

P.S. The postage of my letters to you, shall be paid exclusive of your commission, you will therefore keep an account of what the postage amounts to. Please write me as early as practicable. 

Letter from J.W. Hollis to Joseph Funk Winchester, May 17, 1838

This letter is viewable on Histories along the Blue Ridge at this link: Letter to Funk from Hollis May 17, 1838

Winchester, May 17, 1838

Dear Sir: –

Yours of the 7th should have been answered earlier, but that I thought it would be well to save the postape, and forward per Mr. Philips. I am very much pleased to hear that you could find no error in the 1st form. Accompanying this you will receive a proof-sheet of the 2nd form, and I flatter myself it will be found equally correct. – I have reversed it twice, in my clumsy way, without discovering anything wrong. – This form has been ready for prep for a week past; but we cannot proceed with it for want of ink, a lot of which, for Mr. Torens, has been lost upon the rail-road. – Another case, however, is daily expected. – Since Joseph was here, I was confined some 8 or 10 Ten days with a violent dysents which, together with 4 days training in the past week has caused the delay, and now the want of ink alone prevents me from rashing on to its completion. On “The Rose of Sharon”, you will perceive, is commenced on the last page of the 2nd form, and as you did not seem to attach much importance to its being all contained within the limits of the 2nd form, I have not allowed the original arrangement. 

I also forward to you the remainder of the “Rose of Sharon” which will be printed on the 3rd form, and which I have not read, or corrected. – This you will have time enough to look over and forward to me a list of errors, which I particularly desire you to do, as I am …

(second page)

Ordinary times. In the manuscript of this time I have observed one or two discrepancies, which I will point out to you: – over the 1st note in the 9th measure of the 1st score, page 18, you will perceive a hold ( ) inserted in the tenor, and omitted in the treble and base; this is according to copy. – should they not be similar? – Also, on same page, over the first two notes in the measure you have inserted a tie ဂ in the tenor, and omitted it in the treble. This omission, you will observe, I have supplied, without knowing whether I am right or wrong. – In the verse under the tenor of the last score on page 17, should not the word “daughter,” read “daughters?” I am very much afraid there is something wrong either in the notes or the words of the tenor in the 2nd score on the 10th page, which will probably be printed before I can hear from you. You will see that between the marks of my pen in that score, the syllables of the verse fall one short of the number of notes. – In the absence of any knowledge of the matter, I have placed the words in precisely the same relative position to the notes, as said down in copy.

With regard to your query concerning the prospect of my getting a prep through the aid of my friend here, I can only say that Mr. Daniel has not returned from the south; it is removed here that he will not return; this however I do not believe. The circulation of the report will inevitably injure him at all events, as I apprehend a general run will be made upon him when he does return – and it may be that I have little to hope for from that quarter, under such circumstances. – Mr. Phillips tells me that you intimated a desire that I should remove to Rockingham. – This matter has for some time occupied a good deal of my attention; and previous to my hearing this through Mr. P. I had determined to submit a proposition to you to you that effect, in this very letter. 

Purchase of a prep, you should make the purchase (which can be done in Baltimore on nine months credit, I think I take it to your own house, if you thought propes, and that I would there execute the work. Within the nine months, if my health was shared, I think I could pay for the prep, in addition to the necessary fund for the support of my family. – But I must be more explicit. – I fear there is little chance of prevailing upon my wife to remove; in fact I will not urge it, as I know she would be very unhappy, which would of course, be a source of uneasiness to me – Then, if you would rather have the whole immediately under your own eye, and will admit me as a member of your family (from which I might be a gainer in many respects) I will come as soon as everything is ready.

After reading the above, I have “experienced” the whole, and will say, in few words, that I am willing to embrace any proposition coming from you concerning the when and where for the execution of your work, and that I shall anxiously await your determination and arrangements.

Yours Truly,

J.W. Hollis

P S Mr. Thomas arrived here today, and departs tomorrow for Washington city. – My respects and good wishes to your family,

as response your remain of the ……

number of notes you are correct in your idea of an error es… there the sol immediately above the word [the] should be tied to the preceding group of notes thus -mong the in the last score on the same page the last measure ar one in the base has a law misplaced in the 4th space which should be on the 4th line

Mr. Joseph Funk

Rockingham County

Virginia

Politeness of Rev. Phillips

Funk to Curry Letter Sept 11, 1857

This letter is viewable on Histories along the Blue Ridge at this link: Joseph Funk and Sons letter to James Curry September 11, 1857

Mountain Valley Va. Sept 11 1857.

Dear Sir:

Your letter of 3rd. Inst. is to hand, with $20. Inclosed, which is entered to your credit. We will send you another box of about four dozen by next Monday 14th. Sinst. We will direct the box care of Mark L. Spotts, Lewisburg, by The Road as you directed. You may sell the fourth Ed. of music at what can get for them, and those of Sturn’s Press. If the nett us but six – by cents: they are certainly a valuable book especially to persons who have but little time to devote to reading, as they affords much instruction in short pieces and the instruction is of a genuine nature: though it may be too high and sublime for many readers: especially for those who have not been conversant with nature and how it leads up to nature’s God, the Almighty Creator.

We will be pleased to hear from you whenever you can make it convenient to write.

Very truly yours,

Joseph Funk & Sons.

Mr. James Curry.