0

Grant’s Final Presentation

Tinkercad – USS North Carolina

Tinkercad was the only program I had experience in. This was the first project that I took considerable scrutiny in my designs. I had several pictures and consulted a virtual recreation. The challenge here is a realistic scaling of the actual ship. While I never found the actual dimensions of the ship and the components, it would’ve taken too long to recreate the scaling exactly, I had to eyeball it. Most of the designs I had to experiment on the shape cutting, since that was the most difficult part. The design required numerous cuts that required several attempts as some designs didn’t fit the ship. The notable one is the bow (front) of the ship, the inward curve had about thirty attempts before I was satisfied with the look.

Fusion 360 – Challenge Coin

Fusion 360 was my first test into 3D starting anew. I never heard of the program outside the lab, so everything started from ground zero. I took me a couple hours of tampering to get the hang of creating designs. For the challenge coins, all of the designs began with sketches. The following step were extrusions. I also get to help visualize the designs with the selections of materials. By making different colors and metallic, I can picture the metal coin as a metal. In Tinkercad, I had to group everything as one since I move the design. Because of the grouping, they blend the color. That is no longer the case, so my designs in Fusion can be vibrant and visually dynamic as I want it to.

OpenSCAD – Covid-19 Strand

OpenSCAD required me to have the most research on how it works. I am not accustomed to coding language, so I have to utilize the cheatsheet, sites, an Youtube to remind me how to program. Once I had the correct line of code, I was able to tamper with it to create wacky designs. The Covid Strand is the testament of the transition of being careful into going asymmetric in design. It’s like transitioning from man-made to natural, from perfection to imperfection.

Final Project – JVC ProHD Professional Camera

This was the most detailed design I have done to date. This was done in Tinkercad and I had several images of the camera to reference off of. While it was unfortunate that I didn’t have the camera at my disposal for accurate measurements, I have great memory of the workings to understand the complexity of the design. I used what I learned from using the other programs to improve my designs and cutting down time. I was able to complete this design faster than I expected, a testament to my improvement in design and efficiency.

folsomgc