0

Michael Smith Fusion 360 Final Project

For my final Fusion 360 project, I wanted to make something that had a practical use for me. One of my interests is speakers, how they work, and sound in general. I had an idea to try and visualize different frequencies that I wanted to test out. The main gist of how I was going to go about this was to shine a laser pointer at a piece of glass that’s attached to a balloon that is vibrating via a speaker I attached to it. Since sound is basically just wavy air, I can play certain frequencies on the speaker and have the ballon vibrate at those frequencies in tandem. Here’s a video that I found that is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-V1uXeyGmg&t=296s. I had a little bit of success on my first build of it but I needed something that can hold a laser pointer with more stability so I designed something that I think would work.

This is what I came up with to solve my problem. As you can see it’s not very pretty but I designed it to help me complete a project and not to look aesthetically pleasing. I extruded the bottom square so I could fill it with something heavy to help weigh it down so it would be stable. I then put a cylinder on and cut a hole on the top so the other cylinder I put on top of it would fit nicely.

I cut a hole through the top cylinder and put a sphere in it to the laser pointer’s light would be on when I put it in.

I then used the torus shape on the end of the top cylinder to stop the laser pointer from sliding through all the way. All in all, this is a simple design but I still had some issues designing it because I’m not good at the software in the slightest. I still like it because even with my limited knowledge of the software, I was able to build something that I had a use for. I’m thinking about sending it in to have it printed so I can use it for real.

smit28mr