0

Fusion 360 Final Project

Beginning Stages of My Design

Where do I begin? This Fusion 360 project proved difficult in part because of the complexities of Fusion, but also difficulties related to school closing. In the end; however, I was able to figure it out and am happy with my final design.

When deciding what to create in Fusion, I wanted to build something that could benefit me in my everyday life. At the time, my desk was very cluttered so I decided to build a desktop organizer. I began my looking around google getting ideas on what I liked and didn’t like. Below are a few examples of organizers I liked. Looking at these designs and then my final you can definitely see some ideas that I incorporated.

After getting ideas I decided to create my sketch which I would extrude and edit when I was done. I wanted to create this organizer to actually be realistic so was very careful in all my measurements. A problem I ran into was that because we were initially expected to print our designs, I had to make sure I could fit everything within the parameters of the printer. This meant compromising on the sizes of several aspects which, after realizing we would just be submitting designs, I was able to go back and fix. Below is my initial sketch of the desktop organizer.

In the top left would be a cup for scissors. To the right of it would be for separating  between maybe pens, pencils, highlighters, color pencils. Below these would be just a tray for miscellaneous supplies and on the right I wanted to create a shelf.

Mid-Stages of the Design and Final Product

After finishing my original sketch a problem I ran into was because of the school closing. Because I was unable to download the software, I was worried I would have to start my whole project over. After considering starting over, I talked to my roommate and he let me use his laptop to download the software and complete the project. While this did limit my access and time, I thought it was a better option than starting over on a new software. Below is a screen shot about halfway through my design.

While designing, I felt like my design was honestly kind of boring and with the ability to now design larger than the 3D printers, I felt like I could add something cool that I hadn’t seen elsewhere. I decided to redesign the right part of my organizer by switching two things. The first change was that I created a slanted stand to hold an iphone with space for a charger to fit between the bottom. The second change, and what I liked about the design, was that I made a small semi-hidden drawer on the side of the organizer. I thought that this could be good particularly for people in college to keep cash or some jewelry because if you positioned the organizer against something else, the drawer would be invisible. Below are some screenshots of my final design.

Above shows the organizer from the front. The shelf was designed to print next to the main body.

Above is a look at the shelf on the right-side of the organizer.

Above is a view from behind the organizer.

kernsmj