My Father’s Life Story; From England to America

Overview

In the current time and age, we live in, immigration is at one of it’s all-time highs as people are wanting to experience the “American Dream”. My father was one of these people who not only chased this dream but turned it into reality. My father faced a dilemma where he could stay in England with his family or come to the United States to face a job opportunity that seemed too good to be true. He put himself first in this decision, and he has never regretted it since.

This interview with my father took place on March 21st, 2024, talking about the themes of immigration, and the life steps he took to be in the life situation he is currently in. Coming to a new country is never easy, but moving to a country with no family, with a brand-new job, at such a young age can take a toll on someone mentally. We discussed the struggles of how even when you’re doing the right thing, there can be negative outcomes too, like him not being able to visit his ill mother before she passed away due to being in a different country. Although my father has lived in America for a long time now, he only just received his American Citizenship in 2024, which he discusses what the process is like for that, and how that affects him. He looks back on life on how it could’ve been different given the decisions he had to make, but he doesn’t regret any of them because it has led him to a life he cherishes.