Immigration and adaptation from Turkey to the United States: Education, gender, family expectations, and soccer

Overview to Social Change Interview:

Ever since the foundation of the United States this country has been built on immigration. From all corners of the globe we have seen people flock to the United States in pursuit of the “American Dream” and a better life. Immigration has shaped the United States and all the new ideas and blend of cultures has helped to make the United States the global super power that they are now. Immigrants come to the United States often doing jobs that nobody else wants to do. We have our cities and infrastructure because of the hard work of many immigrants that paved the way for a better future. What often gets left out when discussing immigration is the impact it has on children. In a lot of ways children don’t have many rights and they are dependent upon their parents to make decisions that will impact their futures forever. In the past 20 years the United States has seen a dramatic increase of immigration from Muslim countries including Turkey. Since the tragedy of 9/11 many of these immigrants have faced unfair racial discrimination as the American people attempted to villainize a subset of people. This interview discusses some of the challenges of immigration for a child, the impact of religion on one’s life and how it feels to grow up in a school system different from their home country. In addition to some hardships this interview also focuses on the positive impacts of social change in the United States including powerful friendships and a shared passion over simple things.  

Biography:

Arda Tanyeri is a nineteen year old college student currently attending Northeastern University. Arda and his family immigrated from Turkey to the United States at the age of five seeking better economic opportunities. Although he was relatively young he found himself in a completely different setting and environment than what he was used to. Arda and I met at Langston Hughes Middle school located in Reston Virginia which is a diverse suburb of Washington D.C. We have maintained a strong relationship throughout high school and are still good friends to this day. Arda grew up in a melting pot culture but was still separated from his culture back home which helped him to form a new identity and sense of belonging in the United States. 

Historical Context/Research:

This interview focuses on the journey of a modern day immigrant contrary to others that have occurred decades ago this delves into the struggles that one immigrating to this country today might face. The Tanyeri family decided to immigrate to the United States in search of a better life and economic opportunities. Following the 2008 global economic crash and a poor overall economy Turkey was still reeling. Turkey was “One of the hardest hit countries” by the recession and the impact was certainly felt by citizens as many decided to leave. The Tanyeri’s looked to the United States for better opportunities for their sons. This interview represents a unique story that isn’t told very often. The Tanyeri’s settled in Virginia which was not a place known for having a vibrant Turkish community as places like New York or New Jersey would have. Education has also been of increasing importance for immigrants as some primary reasons for coming to the United States is better education for their children with studies showing that education has been on the rise.

Transcript:

Roberto
Hello everyone today I’m joined by my good friend Arda a student at Northeastern University. All IB Diploma in high school. Arda. How’re you doing today?

Arda
I’m doing great, man. How are you?

Roberto
Good. Good. I didn’t get to see you over spring break.

Arda
Yeah. Yeah I don’t know We had a different days I guess kinda rough.

Different schedules.

Roberto
Yeah.

How’s that weather up in Boston?

Arda
Ah it’s terrible. I’m not used to this at all. Yeah, like, I don’t know, like winters back home, just like they’re nothing compared to this. .

Roberto
Yeah Yeah

Arda
That’s terrible.

Roberto
Yeah.

Arda
It’s getting better though so.

Roberto
That’s good almost summer.

Arda
Almost spring

Roberto
Obviously, you have a very interesting, like, life story as you’ve come to America. So I just wanted to interview today and ask you some questions about kind of your childhood and upbringing if that’s good with you?

Arda
That’s good.

Roberto
All right. Let’s, let’s get right into it.

Arda
Let’s get right into it.

Roberto
Alright, the first question for you. What do you remember about like, Turkey when you were leaving to come into the United States?

Arda
Um, I don’t know. It wasn’t so bad because um… So in Turkey. How it works is like Elementary School is first grade to fourth grade, they do this thing where like, fourth grade, first elementary schools like the first four years, and then middle schools, like the next four, and then high school was the next four. So it’s like four-four- four. So I ended up coming after fourth grade, I believe. So I ended up like finishing elementary school. And I remember it I don’t know it was fine, I guess, like I mean, from there. I was already like studying English a little bit. So now my English is, you know, I think it’s pretty good.

Roberto
Yeah.

Arda
I already had a background there. I had a lot of friends, but like back then it doesn’t even matter you’re just able to adapt anywhere, I was only like, 10 years old. I remember. That summer, it was just like, a lot of build up. Because I don’t, I don’t want to like spoil a future question or something. But like, my parents were like, kind of like, anticipating moving to America for awhile,

Roberto
Right.

Arda
And at that point, after fourth grade, my brother graduated high school.

Roberto
Ok

Arda
He’s eight years older than me. So they thought that was like a natural time to leave. Leave Turkey. And they wanted to come to America A because my dad wanted to study in a college, like for his doctorate degree. And then my mom said, yeah, that’d be good as well. I’ll do that. And they both just thought like, you know, economic opportunity in America, just the way they are taking. So I remember. It was just like a lot of buildup. And like, the whole summer was just like, me like spending time like playing with my friends and whatever. And like, it was just like, all build up saying like, yeah man, this might be like, the last time we’re hanging out together.

Roberto
Would that make you nervous?

Arda
Oh, yeah, it was I was. I was. I was about to curse there. I was like, Yeah, I was so nervous. You know, I never been to America. I don’t think I went out of the country.

Roberto
Really?

Arda
Before. Yeah, before fourth grade, I might have might have gone to like some other country that’s like neighboring Turkey.

Roberto
Right.

Arda
But I definitely never been to, like such a developed country. Like America, like America is kind of like idolized in Turkey.. And like, I thought it was like, pretty exciting. Like, yeah, I’m moving to America. I’m making it out. I’m making it out. And I was like, kind of bragging about it. But also just like, kind of. I was definitely nervous about it, I remember. It was just like a lot of anticipation. A lot of lead up. And then like, I remember. I mean, the process of like coming I don’t know it was definitely like nerve wracking for sure.

Roberto
Right I can totally understand that. Now moving on to the next question. When you got to America, like your earliest memory. How are you feeling like when you stepped off that plane, like your first couple of weeks moving into a new place? How did it feel?

Arda
I mean, after that some plane ride to go to America from Turkey is like 12 hours. So like, the first thing I was just exhausted. And like, I’m sure you know, like coming into Dulles Airport, from another country like the customs are just like, ridiculous there’s like a line.

Roberto
Yea very long

Arda
That’s unbelievable. Like it starts like upstairs like, like where you come out of into the customs is ridiculous. Like we were in there for, like three hours.

Roberto
Wow.

Arda
And then I remember I was just exhausted and like I don’t know I was like 10 years old I was like complaining a lot whining. And like why are we here come on? We have to go through the whole process of like staying why we’re there. It was just like very annoying honestly. The process of like being in the airport, coming from that plane. Otherwise, like, first two weeks, I remember just like being at home, because I didn’t have any friends at that point.

Roberto
Yea in school, obviously. This is summer.

Arda
This is yea this is like halfway into the summer, I’d say. Yeah, it was just like, a lot was at home. Yeah. My brother, my brother, he’s like, a lot more social. So like he was already like making friends and whatever.

Roberto
Right and much older than you as well to be fair.

Arda
Much older than me. Yeah. Like, like, where was I gonna find? Like, other 10 year old kids just like outside, Hey, can I play with you? Like, I barely knew English.

Roberto
Now transitioning to the next question. I’m sorry to cut you off if you had anything else to say.

Arda
Nah that’s alright.

Roberto
So when you got to school, obviously, you’re living in the DMV, Northern Virginia. pretty diverse areas.

Arda
Yessir

Roberto
Yep. Yep. But you’re school not so much. Sunrise Valley. Elementary school is kind of more on the white side. So how did you feel you fit in amongst other kids at school?

Arda
Um, at first, at first, it was a lot of just like I don’t know how to explain.

Roberto
Take your time take your time.

Arda
In the very beginning, I was just like, like people, like I had an accent back then. People like, knew that saw that I had that accent, obviously. I feel like they were pretty welcoming. Like I didn’t. I didn’t have like much problems at school really at first at least. Like they were like, oh, Turkey. Where’s that? Obviously like, as you can imagine, like all of them throwing that in Turkey do you speak gobble gobble and I would have to be like hahahahaha awkward laugh like that. Like, other than that it was like, I don’t, I wouldn’t say I was like, bullied or anything. I think I fit in pretty well. At first, I was just like, bringing food from home. And I feel like that was where my base problem was because like people were like, what’s that you’re eating? And like, they just be eating like a Lunchable and I’d just be like Ahh whatever. Like people would bring like, like Chick fil A or Subway for lunch or something.

Roberto
So there’s sort of a cultural difference there?

Arda
It was a bit of a cultural difference. Like, I got, I got these chicken nuggets. What do you got Arda? And I was like, Oh, I got Kofta. Then it was like Oh ok But yeah, otherwise it was just like, I feel like I fit in pretty well at first. And then as I grew older, I just assimilated mostly.

Roberto
That’s good Now moving on to the next question. Obviously you’re a practicing Muslim. Happy Ramadan I hope that’s starting well, for you.

Arda
Ramadan Mubarak yeah!

Roberto
In what way has religion sort of impacted your life in America? And like, keeping a tie with your faith?

Arda
I feel like religion was like, one of the main things that I like, I guess, kept me in touch with just like life back home in Turkey. Because like in Turkey, especially then, like it’s gotten more progressive now. But like 10, like more than 10 years ago? Like nah it was like 10 years ago. It was definitely way more religious. And like, everyone was just like, on the same page, I guess. So and then coming here, it was like, it’s obviously not that, like, in fact, in my school, I think there may have been like, one other Muslim maybe two. So like, and I wasn’t really friends with them. It was just like, it was definitely different, especially in school. The promise process of like, fasting, or telling, like when people would say like, oh, I’m Jewish. I’m Christian. What are you Arda? Oh I’m Muslim? And they’ll be like, Oh

Roberto
Yeah, sort of the negative stereotypes that we grew up with surrounding Islam.

Arda
Yeah, absolutely especially since, like 9/11 and all of that, like, just like public perception in America was just like, not very fond. But like, mostly in school or whatever, I just wouldn’t talk about it. And then like, when I was home, honestly, I wouldn’t talk about it much either. It was just like something I was, like actively doing, but like, not really. I’m not really like thinking about it too much. But like, it definitely gave me a good routine, I would say, and kept me closer with my family, for example.

Roberto
Now, the next question, how has language sort of played an experience, like, impacted you, as you moved from Turkey to United States and you progressed throughout high school?

Arda
Um, it started, I mean, definitely, in high school, it mattered less. At that point, I was in America for a few years. Again, I kind of assimilated I understood it. English, I could speak English, almost like perfect, like, basically perfectly. Um, but like, it was kind of a weird dynamic, coming from home, like my house to school, because at my house, I would only speak Turkish obviously. And then, like, I would go home and I would have to speak or like, I’ll go to school and have to speak a lot of like, a completely different language. So it was just like a process of being able to

Roberto
go back and forth sort of?

Arda
Yeah, can go back and forth.

Roberto
So would you say that your home life was much different from school life? And how would that compare back home in Turkey? Was there a massive shift? Or was it sort of just similar to how it was before?

Arda
It was definitely different. I remember. In Turkey. My mom’s like, a very like, like a socialite kind of person. She would always have people over. We were pretty rich in Turkey, I would say. And like, always have people over other socialites, I guess. But like, when we moved to America, I kind of noticed like, my mom, especially like, she was kind of lonely, too. Like, she was like, at that point, she was like, kind of adopting the stereotype of being like a housewife, I guess, at first. And then like, another big thing, I believe. There was definitely like, a weird dynamic with my family. Because like, after a while, there was a point where it was almost like they were kind of, kind of, like envious of me of like being able to study in America. Like, that’s not an opportunity they have.

Roberto
Really?

Arda
yeah, it’s not an opportunity they had. So like, they were kind of I definitely have, like, harsh expectations from them like, hey if we were able to graduate with the little resources that we had, you have every resource possible, like you should be excelling.

Roberto
How much pressure does that put onto you?

Arda
That put all the pressure on me? Because like, at that point, I was like, Okay, if I, if I don’t do exactly what my parents have a vision for me. Um, I’m just going to be like a failure to them. Like they, they came to America for me, basically. And like, I wasn’t even able to, like, make like, to make them happy. Obviously, that’s like, a very harsh way to look at it. Like, I don’t think it was that deep. Like, they definitely put that kind of expectation on me. And like, for me, that was just like, weighing you down for a while. And like, that was something I had to deal with, especially like in the start of, or like, starting in high school when grades started mattered more and more. Yeah, I just had to be like, on top of everything. And, yeah, that’s about it.

Roberto
Okay, And now, you talked a little bit about all the pressures that was surmounting on you in high school, but you certainly achieved a lot in regards to music in regards to your academics your athletics on the soccer team. Yes. So what are you most proud of in terms of your accomplishments so far?

Arda
Um honestly, I’m not. I’m not really like proud of, I mean, I’m obviously proud of like, all those accomplishments like getting IB diploma and graduating full honors or whatever. But like, it’s not even that it’s just like being able to say like, I did it, like I like I made it like, like my parents like, again, as I said, I had all these expectations on me, all these pressures on me. And to say, like, I got through that is probably like the proudest thing I could possibly be personally because like now I’m, I’m more independent. I’m in college, like, I don’t have those pressures on me, like now it’s just on me.

Roberto
So you feel like now you’ve met your parents expectations, and now it’s all on you to succeed in life.

Arda
Yeah. Yeah. I feel like it’s their jobs. I think this is also like, similar to like, well made, they may think, like, their jobs are over. Like they did good. They can they can be happy with how that how I turned out how my brother turned out. At this point, it’s just like, it’s on me to like, get to that next step. Yeah, like, as long as I don’t completely, like destroy all the work I’ve done. Like, yeah, I think so. I think that’s what I’m most proud of.

Roberto
That makes sense. That’s good. Now shifting back a little bit. Just more kind of fun question. Kind of a personal question. But when you go back to visit Turkey, what does it feel? Does it feel like home? Or does America feel like home now? Just talk a little bit about that, please.

Arda
Honestly, at this point, America feels more like home because, like, I mean, it’s been, it’s been many years and like I’ve the only people I’ve talked my first language to take is to our like, my immediate family that are at home, which is not that many people just like my dad, my mom, my brother and like other Turks I may have met in America, I’ll like talk to them as well. But that’s mostly slang. So like, I feel like when I go back to Turkey, like, I’m almost like whitewashed, basically. Like, that’s how they perceive me. They don’t, they don’t perceive me as like a Turk. They, they, they perceive what this is like a, what they call it satatrei which means fake turk. So like, they kind of perceive me as like, Oh, this guy. This guy is all Hollywood now. He lives in America.

Roberto
Does that make you feel some type of way?

Arda
I definitely, definitely feel like more like babied, I guess. Like they think I’m like just like a little precious little fragile little American who’s like coming to this country to like, basically be like a tourist, I guess

Roberto
Right be on vacation?

Arda
Be on vacation how they perceive like every other American or Brit or whatever. More developed country person. So, like, some of them are like, pretty welcoming. But I do feel like a little babied by everyone there. So I, I’d say it’s like a little, a little rough. Going back. But I mean, it’s obviously good to be back because like, that’s where I spent the first 10 years a special

Roberto
Right special place in your heart.

Arda
Has a special place in my heart seeing all the family and seeing all the memories, I guess.

Roberto
Obviously Turkey is very into soccer, or football as they call it. So how would that relate back to like your development in United States? Did it help you assimilate and sort of make friends? Do you have like a shared language?

Arda
You mean like soccer?. As the language. Yeah. Um I definitely made like some of my, like, closest friends based on soccer. Because I obviously did play or not, I mean, not obviously but like I did play in Turkey in like, I was on like, like a kind of like an academy team for a while, but then I came here and like here. It’s not it’s not as crucial to the culture. So I probably got like little worse. Maybe didn’t reach my potential soccer wise, but like I definitely like the people that do play soccer. I definitely got closer to a lot of them. I know like a lot of my friends from home. I met through soccer and like you, Anthony. Some of that other like closest friends was like all stemmed from like a shared love for soccer. So like, it definitely it definitely shaped who I am today. I feel like I could have probably like made friends like other ways. I like that is the main way I made friends in America like at first besides my school. I feel like I probably could have had like Another interest that were taking me to me like a different path. Maybe it would have been better maybe it would have been worse I don’t know. But this is it definitely shaped who I am today.

Roberto
I can totally see that.

Arda
Yeah.

Roberto
Well that’s all I have for you. Is there anything else that you would like to add?

Arda
Um, I’m good. Thanks for taking the time with me.

Roberto
Thank you so much, man. It’s really appreciated.

Arda
Yeah.

Roberto
I hope to see you in a few weeks finish that semester strong now.

Arda
Yeah you as well.

Roberto
All right. Thank you.

Arda
All right.

Bibliography:

Alp, Harun, and Selim Elkdag. The Role of Monetary Policy in Turkey during the Global Financial Crisis, June 2011, www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2011/wp11150.pdf.

Kaya, Ilhan. “Identity and Space: The Case of Turkish Americans.” Geographical Review, vol. 95, no. 3, 2005, pp. 425–40. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/30034246. Accessed 10 Apr. 2024.
(Peer Reviewed)
Krogstad, Jens Manuel. “Education Levels of U.S. Immigrants Are on the Rise.” PewResearch Center, Pew Research Center, 14 Sept. 2018,www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2018/09/14/education-levels-of-u-s-immigrants-are-on-the-rise/.

Yörükoğlu, Mehmet, and Hakan Atasoy. The Effects of the Global Financial Crisis on the Turkish …, www.bis.org/publ/bppdf/bispap54y.pdf. Accessed 10 Apr. 2024.

Rocker, byLeonardo, and Leonardo Rocker. “Social Exclusion at School.” Quirky Kid,www.childpsychologist.com.au/resources/social-exclusion-at-school#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20lower%20immune%20function,Pond%20%26%20Bonser%2C%202011).Accessed 6 Mar. 2024.

Yesilada, Birol A. “Review of Turkish Migration to the United States: From Ottoman Times to the Present.” Middle East Forum, Middle East Forum, www.meforum.org/2624/turkish-migration-to-the-united-states#:~:text=Readers%20learn%20that%20there%20have,life%20in%20a%20new%20world. Accessed 9 Apr. 2024.