Immigrating To The United States From Greece At Age Three – Stories, Lessons and Experiences.

Interview with MJ, History 150H Spring 2021, Conducted by Lexi Marty, March 15th, 2021.

Introduction to Interview 

Starting in the 1920’s, Communism began to emerge and take over parts of Romania. What followed would be Romania’s involvement in World War II from 1939-1945. Violence from the war led MJ’s family to make a difficult decision about whether to stay in Romania or flee to Greece. Ultimately, MJ’s parents chose to leave Romania and start a new life in Greece. In our interview, you will recall she mentions that she does not remember a lot about her journey to the United States. However, she has been told many stories and details and surprisingly can remember an abundant amount of information and stories from her early life here; there is no lack of information or detail here!

Today, MJ lives with her husband in Willowbrook, Illinois (approximately thirty minutes outside of Chicago). They have lived in the same house for over 40 years; located on a quiet end of a cul de sac, across the street from where her husband’s brother and his family once lived. MJ and her husband have 2 children together – the eldest has 2 children of his own (MJ’s grandchildren) who MJ hopes will carry on traditions she has made for the family. These traditions connect all of them to MJ’s heritage. She has visited Greece and Romania many times since moving to the United States as a young girl. She has not returned to see family and friends who still live in Greece for several years, but she is hoping to go back sometime soon now that she is fully vaccinated! 

This interview with MJ, my Great Aunt, reflects on her experiences as an immigrant and what her life was like growing up in the U.S. with immigrant parents. She explains what surprised her, frustrated her, and how she hopes her family will continue the Greek values and traditions that she keeps so near and dear to her heart.

Biography: 

MJ was born in Kalabaka, Greece (in case you don’t know where that is, “Zorba the Greek” was filmed there at the monasteries) on January 10, 1953 (even though her birth certificate says January 12th) and came to Chicago, Illinois in November 1955 with her parents and two older brothers. Her life in Greece was short lived since her family decided to come to the United States when she was almost 3 years old. Her parents both lived in Bucharest Romania as children, and met and married there. Her brothers were born in Bucharest and her family had a comfortable lifestyle until Romania fell to the communist regime. Since her parents were Greek citizens, they had to make a choice of abandoning their Greek citizenship and becoming Romanian citizens or leaving everything they owned behind and leave the country. They made the difficult decision to leave everything they had worked for, for example, her father owned a vinegar factory, they had a big home and many other assets, and travel back to Greece with their 2 young sons. They settled in Kalabaka, which was between the two villages they were born in. Her father tried his luck as an entrepreneur again and opened a coffee shop. Life was not easy and to further complicate things, her mother became pregnant with her. Times were difficult and her father decided to try to figure out how to make a better life for his family. In those days, in order to enter the United States, you needed to be sponsored and supported by someone other than the government. Her father reached out to a cousin that lived in Chicago and luckily he offered to sponsor the family. Since her parents are no longer alive and she doesn’t exactly know the timeline, she only knows that they ended up in Chicago in November 1955. Her dad for the third time had to start his life over again, except this time he had to provide for his wife, 14-year-old sons and 3-year-old daughter. He was able to get a job as a baker at National Baking Company during the night and her mother got a job at Hart Shaffner Marx during the day so one of them was always home with the kids. They never had baby sitters or day care. It was harder for her brothers who were 14-years-old at the time coming to a foreign country, learning a new language and trying to go to high school. For MJ, it was easier since she was only 3 years old. Her parents made sure that the Greek customs and traditions were always a part of their life. They even sent her to Greek/American school for grammar school and they spoke Greek at home. My entire mom’s side of the family all speak Greek to this day. Her life here has not been very difficult at all, and on her trips back to Greece and Romania, she has said that regardless of how beautiful each country is and how great the people are, she has realized how fortunate she was to grow up in the United States.

Transcript: 

Speakers: Lexi Marty (student interviewer), MJ (interviewee)

Speaker 1 (Lexi Marty): Okay, are you ready?

Speaker 2 (MJ): Sure.

Lexi Marty: (laughing) Okay, hi, I’m Lexi Marty, and I’m interviewing MJ today with a focus on what her immigration was like to the United States and how her life was like once she settled here. So how are you doing today?

MJ: I’m tired right now, but I’m doing good.

Lexi Marty: Okay, I’m very excited for this interview, and I’m looking forward to what you have to say. So first, could you please just tell me a little bit about your background?

MJ: Well, I was born in Kalabaka, Greece, which is in the northern part of Greece, and it’s if you’ve seen the movie, or has anyone seen the movie Zorba the Greek, you know, it’s like the monasteries that are there where they pull up Zorba, and in, in like this netting thing. Well, that’s where I was born. It’s really cool. It’s a beautiful little town.

It lives off of tourism pretty much is the main, you know, focus there. So when, well, to go back a step. My parents were raised in Bucharest, Romania, and they had a good life there. Because before the war, people would go to Romania, because it was it was just a better place to make money to have a business to, you know, do well. So they they both went there on their own. They met there. They married there. My dad had a vinegar factory. They did well, my brothers are twin brothers. They were born there. They had a big house, my mom had a lady to take care of the house, she had a lady to take care of the kids. My, you know, they had, they had a great life. And then war broke out. Communism took over. And they were Greek citizens. So they were given the choice of leaving Romania and going back to their country of Greece, but they had to leave everything behind. So it’s not like you could sell your business sell your house up. Nope, you just left it all. You take, you pack your clothes, and you leave. And which, luckily, I think they made the right choice. They left everything behind went to Greece.

And then I was born in Greece. And after I went back to Greece when I was 10 years old – the first time I had to keep on hearing how I was kind of an accident. (laughing) That wasn’t planned you know, because they went back and it was they were struggling. It was after the war. They didn’t need another mouth to feed. But you know, luckily here I am. And my dad opened up with a with another friend, they opened up like a coffee shop. And they did okay, but at that time, you could immigrate to America if you were sponsored by someone. So my dad had a cousin that lived here (in America). He reached out to his cousin and asked if, you know he would sponsor him and his family to come here. And the cousin said yes. So I don’t know exactly what kind of paperwork had to be filed or whatever, but they got approved. We came over here, we flew, came through New York through Ellis Island, then came here to Chicago. His cousin helped find an apartment cuz they had to sponsor us and also support us, until we get a job. It’s not like you could just come here and the government is gonna help you. You know, you had to have financial support as well.

My dad got a job at National Baking Company as baking bread. And he got a job working nights. And my mom, because I was three years old when we came over here, my brothers were 14. So there’s a 12 year difference between my brothers and I. So then my mom got a job at Hart Schaffner Marks, sewing during the day, so there would always be someone at home. The kids, you know, we, because there was no thing like babysitters or daycare or anything like that I wasn’t, you know, so my dad would cook the meals during the day. So when my mom came home, that would be dinner and my dad would go to work, you know.
So that was kind of it was easier for me than for my brothers because my brothers were already 14 years old, so they were going to high school. They had to learn the language, you know, and it was it was hard for them, but they did it. I mean, and then I think being Greek. We still were Greek, Greeks living in America. So all the Greek traditions still were there, you know, I had, going to Greek school was a lot more important to them (to her parents) than going to a regular American school. So I went to Greek Grammar School. For and funny enough, the grammar school only went to seventh grade. So I went to Greek grammar school. So we did half day Greek lessons half day lessons in English. I had a big class of five people. And, you know, and then after you graduated seventh grade, I still had to go to, you know, an eighth grade Grammar School somewhere before going to high school. So that was a big transition. That was really hard for me, because all of a sudden, I was thrown into an eighth grade with kids I didn’t know you know. And eighth grade is a big deal, you know, everyone’s already made friends, you’re graduating…I knew nobody, you know, so that was really hard.

And, but we always, my parents always had Greek friends. Everyone, everything was Greek around us so it wasn’t my parent, my brother, who was 80 years old this year, still has a pretty thick accent. Believe it or not. Wow, yeah. So for them, it was harder, because they never really lost their accent. They both, both my brothers married Greek girls, from Greek families, and I was the only rebel that I wasn’t going to do that, you know, I wasn’t going to do that. Now, what helped? Your uncle (MJ’s husband) is half Greek. So that helped that helped ease him into the fam, right? Um, but, you know, so Greek church, Greek school, Greek everything, Greek food, Greek holidays, Greek, you know, but it was great to be here.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, no, I find it so interesting that, like, you still can recall, and you just remember so much about, like your story and I know, you were so young – and it’s probably some of its like, word of mouth.

MJ: Right? And pictures like that, you know.

Lexi Marty: Right. But I think it’s cool that you like kept up with that…and you try and carry on, like those traditions I know, to like, like Quinn and Joe (MJ’s grandchildren) and like George (MJ’s son) and his family. So I think that’s great.

MJ: If I wasn’t such a rebel, they probably would have been more Greek. But I, you know, like, Greek school is important to Greeks. So a lot of Greeks now send their kids to, like Greek school, in the evening, on the weekends or just stuff like that. I did not send my kids to that, because I’m like, okay, they don’t need it. They’re not going to go, they don’t need, they don’t need to know, they’re not going to live in Greece, you know, let them do sports, let them do other things and have to go to Greece. I kind of regret that a little bit. You know, yeah, the kids don’t, but I do. George I think, doesn’t regret not going to go to Greek school but I I regret that they don’t know. But they were lucky because they had their (grandmother), my mother. You know, she lived until she was 94 years old. So and she used to watch them a little bit in the summer and stuff. So she was able to teach them some of those Greek traditions. And we always follow Greek traditions, you know, for holidays for everything. So we try to also incorporate our Italian, the Italian part of our family, which is your Uncle’s half. So we do a lot of that too.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, that’s cool. So my first question is, how did your immigration shape you into the person you are today? And if it didn’t, then what do you think you took away most from having immigrated here? Did you like learn any lessons? Maybe?

MJ: Well, I learned, I think what, what the U.S. has to offer you is the opportunity – if you want to work, you can do it you can make…like my dad started his life over three times coming here with a family, no job, no money, no nothing. But, he did it you know, he worked hard, he worked nights, my mom worked days, and they showed us the value of if you work hard, you could do it. In other countries…and you don’t have that big of an opportunity to be able to make it. You know, like job opportunities, things like that. That’s what I saw with going back to visit. You know, I’m not saying that they’re not there. I just I didn’t see them. I think you have much more opportunities here.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, that’s awesome. Um, what was your or was your faith a big part of your life when you lived in Greece? Or did it become more so once you got to the U.S.? I remember a few years back, like George (MJ’s son) got married in the Greek Orthodox Church, and I just thought that was really cool how that was still kind of like carried on into our family. So if you want to speak a little bit on that, that would be awesome.

MJ: Yes, I mean, faith is a big part of every Greek family. Both our kids were baptized Greek Orthodox. And so far, both George’s (MJ’s son) kids, my grandkids are baptized Greek Orthodox Church. George, like you said, got married in the Greek church. Now, whether they’re going to follow the Greek tradition and the faith to the tee, probably not. But, hopefully it’s instilled in them to carry it on. Right? Even after we’re gone.

Lexi Marty: Do you remember any of um, your faith? Like any traditions that you like, carried on from when you were like young? From like your parents? Like, did they pass on any traditions to you.

MJ: Yes, a lot of traditions. You know, there’s a lot of things. The Greeks for example, Greeks, it’s, they have, they celebrate name dates. Name dates are more important than birthdays. They trump birthdays you know, and every one is…you have to be named after a saint. So everyone’s…and so when it’s that Saints Day, that’s your name day, and they celebrate that. Easter has got a lot of traditions associated with it, you know. Now, do I follow them to the tea? No, but they have like you. We fast for 40 days, you know, before Easter, going to church, taking communion. You know, it’s more of a religious holiday, like I never growing up had easter egg hunts for Easter baskets. Everything was more towards the religion part of it, not the fun part. So then, when we had kids, we celebrated both Catholic Easter and Greek Orthodox Easter. Catholic Easter was always the fun Easter for the kids. That’s when we did you know, the egg hunts and the baskets and all that. And Greek Easter is when we went to church every night (laughing). So we kind of that’s the way we did it. There’s a lot of different tradition, but yes, we kept up all the traditions that my parents taught me.

Lexi Marty: Yeah that’s awesome, Um, how did your parents adjust to living in the U.S. considering that this was the third country they had immigrated to? I know, maybe coming from any of your observations.

MJ: I think they adjusted really well. But like I said, all their friends were Greek. They never so my parents spoke, until they passed away really, kind of broken English. They never really spoke fluent English. But, I think having that big, I mean, they got they got they helped them get the jobs, you know, then they also had a social life. They raised their kids and my dad did well, we went from a small apartment to a bigger apartment to him buying a three flat, you know. You know, so he did well, they adjusted well.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, that’s good to hear.

Lexi Marty: Your parents left Romania, like you said, because of the rise in communism? How different do you think your life would have been if you were raised in Romania? Do you have any, like recollection of ever discussing communism with your parents?

MJ: Oh my God, yes. I actually have been back to Romania when my parents were alive. You know, as a teenager, I started when I was 16 I went back, when I was 18, that I went back. And my life would have been totally different. Because even at that time, I mean, you weren’t really allowed…you weren’t allowed a lot of privileges that we have here and…both just economically socially, you know, so oh, it would have been a lot different. I mean, the best thing they did, like I said, they sacrificed everything, they had left it all behind and just left. And I think that’s the best decision they made.

Lexi Marty: I kind of…like listening to you say that – I could agree with that. Um, how much harder was it for your brothers to assimilate in the US once you arrived here in comparison to you? I’m kind of getting at like a gender question here. And I’m kind of like wondering if there was any, like gender discrimination between you or your brothers?

MJ: No, no, I think it was, it was harder for them was because English was like a second language to them and they were already 14 years old; I was only three. So English..I mean, I picked it up quickly, because that’s, you know, kind of the beginning of you learning to talk. And even though I went to Greek school, I still I’ve never really had an accent or anything. I mean, I was…they had a hard time. But again, their friends were Greek. So they were in that Greek group. So they didn’t really have a problem. Now, the difference between my two brothers; my one brother, finished high school and that’s it. He didn’t care to do anything, you know, anything more with education. My other brother he was gonna go to…he did go he went to U of I (University of Illinois). And I think it was like getting away from the house, whatever too much partying ended up flunking out after his first semester. So, then he was drafted. He went in the Army. So he spent two years in Germany was in the Army. And then when he came back, you know, the army if you’re not they pay for schooling if you want it. So then he decided he went back to school, he went to Northwestern, and got his degree in political science. But funny enough, he never used that degree. (Laughing) He never he he, he worked for it was a grocery store called Stop and Shop. So he worked there, he managed a department there. And after that, he kind of had his own little like, catering business and stuff. So he has his degree from Northwestern. And that’s a pretty good damn degree. Yeah. But he never used it.

Lexi Marty: What did your other brother go on to do?

MJ: He worked for Dominic’s; they were in the food business. Because my dad was a baker, he worked for the…you know, then my brother, he worked for Dominic’s, like, right after high school until he retired. He worked for them the whole time. And then Dimitri (MJ’s brother) worked for Stop and Shop.

Lexi Marty: That’s so interesting. When you and your brothers like first came to like the U.S. did you were like most of your friends from Greek school and like the Greek church as well?

MJ: Yes. Because every Greek school is affiliated with a church.

Lexi Marty: Okay, I didn’t know that.

MJ: Yeah. So yes.

Lexi Marty: That makes sense. Yes. That’s kind of a bit like where I’m from, like, every Catholic school is kind of affiliated with a Catholic Church so that really makes sense to me. Yeah. I could see how that, that would tie in together. What was everyday life like in Greece at the time, if you ever remember? And how is it similar and are different compared to life here in the U.S.? I know, probably your life at three was different than your life at age 10.

MJ: Yeah, it’s that’s, that’s a hard question only because I’ve never…Well, I only lived there a very short time. Right. I’ve been back, you know, in the summers for vacation. And it’s just not the same. When you go back for vacation, it’s totally different than if you would live there.

Lexi Marty: Right? Are there any I guess we could say…like, are there any traditions when you’ve like been back to Greece that you’ve noticed, like, aren’t really carried on here versus there? Like, are there any difference, like major differences in life there versus here.

MJ: And I don’t know if it’s just… think in Europe, it’s more common. But I know in Greece, like when we go, first of all, things close down in the afternoon, like about noon time, until later in the evening, everything kind of shuts down. People go home to have lunch to take a nap, whatever. And then the stores retail, everything opens up later on in the evening. And then people eat dinner a lot later than they do here. Because they eat lunch, they have a big…their lunch is their bigger meal. And that’s why everything kind of shuts down. They have a big lunch, they take a little nap, you know, and then they open up. And then evening is a is a lighter dinner, but then everyone you know, but it’s later it’s like, even now my brother doesn’t like eating early. You know, he’ll be like, maybe seven o’clock eight, you know? And I think that’s kind of carried over for him. You know? Life is just…I don’t think there’s as much pressure to do well, yeah, that’s like, whatever’s there is fine. Yeah.

Lexi Marty: That’s interesting. Yeah.

Lexi Marty: How is like the schooling like there versus here?

MJ: I’ll be honest with you. I don’t know that. I don’t know. Okay, just from what I heard, and I don’t know what the Greeks going by – but I know that a lot of my relatives, like their kids ended up going to college in other countries. I don’t know why, but I never really asked why, I don’t know. But like, one of my cousin’s son actually went to college in Romania. I don’t know why. My other cousin’s son went to college in Italy. I don’t know, I don’t I don’t know, if schools were better, or if it was cheaper or are the schools harder in Greece, and they couldn’t get in. I don’t know. But, so it’s hard for me to really give a clear answer on that, right.

Lexi Marty: Right. I know, like just making a connection – I think the whole like, eating thing and like shops closing down is a very European thing. I remember when our exchange student from Spain came to the U.S. for a year she talked a lot about that and her; she had a little bit of a hard time assimilating at first to like, the way our eating schedule and like we don’t, you know, nothing closes down. So I think that’s just a very European thing. Yeah. Um, once you got to the U.S., what was your life like? I know back in Greece, you said your family did well, was it the same here or did it take a little bit?

MJ: It took, it took time it like I said, we you know, first, it was a small actually it was the first apartment, we had is actually now where University of Illinois circle campus is.

Lexi Marty: Okay, really?

MJ: That was like apartments; and that’s where we lived. And that was kind of like the Greek town there. On Halsted Street, you know, that’s where we lived. Then they had to tear those buildings down because they were building UIC. And then we moved not far away, but it was, you know, it was still in the city, we rented a bigger place. And my dad just saved and saved and saved and then ended up buying a house. And I think he bought a house and we moved because I was going to start High School. And the area we lived in didn’t have a very good High School in that particular district. So they wanted to get out of the city, even though we’re still in the city. We moved, like in the northwest side of the city, just for a better school.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, that makes sense.

MJ: So I mean, my dad did well. And one, one thing I do remember though, we always had someone living with us, like, my mom first had her brother come from Greece living with us. I never really had my own bedroom growing up because I always had to sleep in the, because she always had her brother there and he had a bedroom. And then when he passed, then she had her uncle come from Greece, and he and they all come here to work and make money. And they all saved it. And then they all went back to Greece to retire.

Lexi Marty: Oh, interesting.

MJ: Which kind of ticked me off because then their retirement, you know, their, their pension can be sent to Greece. So they come here they work. And then they retire back to them a better life in Greece with all the dollars that they’re getting from here, which gives them a lot more than what they would get there.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, that’s interesting.

MJ: So that was kind of annoying to me for a lot of reasons. One, they took up my space, they took up my bedroom. And then they’re kind of like taking this money out of our, you know, our government and going back there and living, which I don’t think is fair, but, that’s what he did.

Lexi Marty: Did you leave any family members behind? And if so, did you ever stay in touch with them? And did they agree with your families choice to immigrate?

MJ: Oh yeah, yep. There were a lot of relatives in Greece. And like I said, we’d go back there often, visit with them. And I had one cousin that I was particularly close to, and they would come here and visit us a few times. So yeah, and we, my brothers, especially more so than me, because their Greek is more fluent than mine…would call them all the time and talk on the phone.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, that’s cool.

MJ: So yeah, we we keep in touch.

Lexi Marty: My last question is, what would you say your life was like growing up with immigrant parents compared to your friends who maybe didn’t have immigrant parents? Was it any different? Or what were some similarities?

MJ: It was a lot stricter.

Lexi Marty: Really?

Lexi Marty: Very strict. Yep. You know, I could not go to senior prom unless I went with someone that was Greek and was a friend of the family. Like, I mean, I couldn’t. Like if there was a boy that I happened to like, you know, I could not go, I would not be allowed to. I was never allowed to date until all through high school, you know. So did I go out? Yeah. Did I sneak out? Yeah. I mean, you know, there was all that way…but no, they were very, they were very strict. I think most Greek families were that. I don’t know if they still are because I’m not as a parent, but I wasn’t as strict as my parents were with me. But yeah, they were very strict and everything had to be Greek.

Lexi Marty: Interesting. What do you think was like, maybe like your parents, like biggest challenge once they got here? I mean, obviously, like the language.

MJ: Language. I mean, that was it. And, and, you know, and if they didn’t make it…it was hard because they had Greek friends. So they still…my dad worked. There were Greeks where my mom worked. There were Greeks, you know, because that’s how they got the job. So they were never forced to like, really have to learn the language. So I think the language was the hardest part.

Lexi Marty: That’s interesting, but that definitely makes sense. Like, going back to how…where they worked? They weren’t speaking English.

MJ: Did you ever meet my mom?

Lexi Marty: I don’t think so. I don’t recall. I mean, maybe when I was like, very, very young.

MJ: I can’t remember. But yeah, they had very…I mean, they did not speak English well at all.

Lexi Marty: I was gonna say did they speak English?

MJ: No.

Lexi Marty: Okay, they didn’t.

Lexi Marty: That makes sense though.

MJ: And your uncle had a hard time. So when we were first starting to date, things like that. And he’d come over for family dinner, especially like during Easter, whatever. Everyone would be talking Greek at the table and your uncle would get very frustrated.

Lexi Marty: Really? I can see that.

MJ: It’s like he thought it was rude that they would all speak Greek when he doesn’t speak Greek and I’m like…that’s the way they are. Because my brothers married Greek women that spoke Greek, were from Greek families and stuff, you know. So I think language was the biggest issue.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, that’s interesting. I think probably a lot of people that were in your shoes would probably have a similar answer to that. But I think your story is very, very interesting. And I really thank you for taking the time out of your day to talk with me.

MJ: And I think it’s great that you find it interesting, because I find it boring.

Lexi Marty: No, I think it’s so interesting. And I love the fact that like, we…or I guess you have found some ways to, like carry on tradition in our family, whether that be like through Greek cooking, or just like the Greek weddings. I just think that’s so cool, that we’re still carrying on little bits and pieces of like, the Greek tradition that came from your parents.

MJ: And I keep on telling, like, George (MJ’s son), I hope the kids (MJ’s grandkids) keep it up. I mean, I hope they keep it up with their kids that will in turn, keep it up. You know, I just, I just hope it doesn’t die with me, you know.

Lexi Marty: Right. No, I don’t think it will. I think you’ve done a good job of like, instilling that into…

MJ: You know what, keep on reminding them Lexi. (Laughing) When I’m not around anymore play this for them.

Lexi Marty: Right!

MJ: Tell them this is what your mom wanted!

Lexi Marty: Yes, I will.

Lexi Marty: Do you have anything else to add to the interview before we end it off for tonight?

MJ: No, I…I think we’re good. As long as you’re happy with what you’ve got here.

Lexi Marty: Yeah! I think it went really well, so I appreciate it and thank you so much.

MJ: it was my pleasure! It was good talking and seeing you.

Lexi Marty: Yeah, you too. Thank you so much!

Transcribed by https://otter.ai and reedited by Lexi Marty

Research/Historical Context

“U.S. Citizen Children Impacted by Immigration Enforcement.” American Immigration Council, 1 Apr. 2020, www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/us-citizen-children-impacted-immigration-enforcement#:~:text=Immigration%20enforcement%E2%80%94and%20the%20threat,or%20deportation%20of%20a%20parent

Links to an external site.

This article discusses how immigration enforcement and the threat of such actions can negatively impact a child’s long-term health and development. Although MJ says that her childhood was never really impacted because of her immigration, I thought it was important for me to understand and learn the affects immigration can have on a young child’s health and development – while also recognizing that clearly MJ’s situation was a little different in comparison to most immigration stories. 

“Take a Glimpse of Life in 1950s Athens.” NEOS KOSMOS, 29 Mar. 2018, neoskosmos.com/en/113314/take-a-glimpse-of-life-in-1950s-athens/.  

This article talks about what life looked like in Greece in the 1950’s -more specifically Athens. Although MJ was not born in Athens, Kalabaka is nearby. I wanted to be able to understand at least what life looked like back then and what some of the customs were like. I thought this would give me a greater insight into what MJ’s life may have looked like – after conducting the interview I believe this article was very helpful.

“Read ‘The New Americans: Economic, Demographic, and Fiscal Effects of Immigration’ at NAP.edu.” National Academies Press: OpenBook, www.nap.edu/read/5779/chapter/10

Links to an external site.

This article discusses the 8 social dimensions of Immigration. 

These include:

• Social and Spatial Mobility
  • Intermarriage and Identity
  • Assimilation and Education
  • Language
  • Citizenship and Naturalization
  • Immigrants in the Sciences and Arts
  • Immigration and Crime
  • Public Opinion on Immigration

Bibliography 

Links to an external site.

Photos

This photo was provided to me by MJ. She mentioned to me that this photo was taken at a work meeting and she often uses it as a headshot photo when needed.

Follow Up Commentary 

After the interview ended, MJ and I chatted about our families and when we may be seeing each other next. We did not talk much about the interview afterwards that night – MJ approved the transcript portion of the interview on March 16, 2021. After I shared with her the transcript portion of the interview she did mention a few things to me. First, she was shocked at how long we talked for (she originally thought the interview might take around 10 minutes to conduct), she was also impressed herself with how much detail she still remembered about her family and their immigration, as was I. For being so young when she immigrated, it was so impressive how much knowledge she still had on the subject and how much passion she clearly has for her story and where she came from.

How the Interview was Recorded 

This interview took place over Zoom with our cameras on. I recorded the interview using the “record meeting” feature that Zoom provides, downloaded it onto my desktop and then imported the recording into Otter.ai to transcribe the meeting.

Transcription Process

The transcription was made by Otter.ai and reedited by the interviewer: Lexi Marty. Overall, the transcription process was relatively easy, however, it was quite time consuming. I would most definitely recommend this platform to anyone!