Skip to toolbar

Carrier Library

The library building that we know today as Carrier library opened in 1939. Originally named Madison Memorial Library, it was the first standalone library building on campus. The library was only two floors at the time. The first floor for non-academic books and...

Harrison Hall

Built in 1915, the “Students’ Building” (now Harrison hall) has served the widest range of functions amongst the buildings on the quad.Throughout its history, Harrison was home to the school’s second auditorium, a dining room, laundry room, classrooms, the...

Keezell Hall

JMU Special Collections Built in 1927, Keezell Hall was first named Reed Hall, in honor of Dr. Walter Reed, an American pathologist and bacteriologist who made groundbreaking medical discoveries in the early twentieth century. He is known to have linked the cause for...

Ashby Hall 2

JMU Special Collections  Ashby Hall, built in 1911, was one of the first few buildings constructed on campus when the early institution was known as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg. It was initially called Dormitory No. 2 and housed...

Jackson Hall

Jackson Hall was one of two completed buildings that greeted the very first students to arrive at the State Normal and Industrial School at Harrisonburg in 1909.  At the time, it was called Dormitory 1 and housed half of the students, some of the faculty (including...