During this activity I have experienced a lot of new activities and new ways of life. During the past two weeks I have felt less stressed and I have felt like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. Each night I have felt less and less stressed and more relaxed and motivated to get things done. The readings and the meditation have really opened my eyes to new things I can try in my everyday life to help relieve anxiety.

This course has changed my perception of mindfulness and made me realize it is a great thing to add into your life. It doesn’t take much time to practice this but it can affect your entire day. It has changed my perspectives in ways that have helped me a lot. Such as making sure I change my ways of thinking and help my mind relax and not be overwhelmed. 

My mindfulness activity was coloring. I think that coloring is very relaxing and a stress reliever. While coloring you focus so much on filling in the shapes it takes your mind off of other things. I do have prior experience with this because while my dad was going through rehab this is something that kept his mind off of things so I would always color with him. It is something that I haven’t done in a while but I am glad I picked it back up. 

Something I would also like to mention specifically to JMU students is to use the Osias in Student Success. That is something I try and do every week and I have noticed it has made my days feel so much better and it is something I look forward to doing. They have massage chairs and essential oils constantly going. It is such a relaxing place to go and I think students should take more advantage of it. 

Describe the mindfulness technique or practice you employed. Why did you choose this activity? What is your initial knowledge  of your chosen activity? Do you have prior experience? Is it something you have always wanted to try?

The activity that I chose is coloring. In this activity I bought a coloring book and used coloring pencils to fill in the pictures. I think that coloring is very relaxing and a stress reliever. While coloring you focus so much on filling in the shapes it takes your mind off of other things. I do have prior experience with this because while my dad was going through rehab this is something that kept his mind off of things so I would always color with him. It is something that I haven’t done in a while but I am glad I picked it back up. 

Your first experience with your technique: Which technique did you choose? What was your first experience like with your chosen technique? How long did your session last? Did you feel calm or restless? Were your body and mind at ease? What was the remainder of your day like?

I chose coloring and again it was not the first time I have used this a mindfulness activity. During my sessions I usually spend about 30 minutes to an hour coloring before bed. While in my bed I feel very calm and relaxed and I feel like it puts my mind at ease. After I was finished coloring I went to bed and I have a very relaxed deep sleep and felt great the next morning. 

Post 3 – Sticking with it: Which technique did you choose? What has been difficult or frustrating about incorporating a mindfulness practice into your schedule? Is there anything you dislike about the specific activity you chose? Do you think another activity would have been a better fit for you?

My mindfulness activity was coloring and the only difficult thing about keeping it in my schedule was actually taking the time to relax other than doing homework or searching social media. The only thing I dislike about the activity is that I get frustrated trying to stay in the lines when they are small. I personally do not think another one would have been better but I do think that I should start trying new techniques. 

Post 4 – What happens next?: Which technique did you choose? How has your chosen activity affected your daily life? What changes have taken place in your overall mood or state of mind? Will you continue to practice your chosen activity? Will you try another activity? Will you stop using mindfulness practices as a whole? Answer these questions while explaining your journey with your chosen technique including any pros and cons you may have experienced of the technique.