When looking at this assignment for the first time, I must admit I was not very happy. I already have a very busy schedule and adding another thing that I would have to keep up with was not something I wanted to do. Already unprepared and unhappy about this 2-week long assignment, I began it a little over a week ago. For my technique, I chose coloring for two reasons: one, I have colored in my early life and found it fun, and two, I thought it would be a good way to relieve some stress. With this in mind, I tried to do the assignment without any disdain and gave it a fighting chance to help me.

My first experience with coloring did not go very well. The day I decided to do it, I had to cram it right before I did chemistry work, so I was already stressed and nervous before I went into it. It lasted for about thirty minutes, and unfortunately, all I could think about was my chemistry homework while I did it. Although what I drew looked good, I didn’t relieve any stress while doing it and I didn’t think it benefitted me at all. I kept going, however, and colored again some days later, with more success.

While coloring for the second time, I started to think about this assignment now that I wasn’t under huge stress. Being honest with myself, I realized that I didn’t have any problems with the assignment or the meaning behind what I was assigned. My problems was that it took time out of my day that I could have used for studying or talking with my friends. It also made me think about mindfulness. Although I think it can be useful and that I have used it in the past, I don’t think right now is a good time to use it and that it isn’t very important to me at the moment. I think this is the reason I had a dislike for the assignment as a whole.

Looking back at what I did, I have to admit that I wasn’t very happy with the results I got. Not only did this assignment take a lot of time out of my day, but I didn’t relieve much stress while coloring. I’m not sure if it was because I didn’t have much interest in doing this from the start or that I chose the wrong technique, but I didn’t feel like I gained anything from doing this. With all of this in mind, I don’t think I will continue coloring or doing anymore mindfulness techniques in the future. I think that I have other methods that already help me relieve stress, and that is enough for me. I am proud to say, however, that I did try to do this assignment, but in the end, it just didn’t work for me.